• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

parahelia

I’m gonna be there fr/sat on Super Bowl weekend. What’s the best strategy for parking those two days? We’d like to take in as much as possible, and it looks like each peak has a trail for everyone.

I guess the White cap lodge is good for one day? and the Barker, or South ridge lodges for the other? Seems like south ridge gets you to the opposite side easier. Is there parking at Jordan?
Saturday mornings I hear the parking conga line can stretch all the way down the access road to Rt 2. I'm on-mountain so haven't dealt with it but I hear you should arrive before lifts open or expect to wait. Friday should be fine, and I hear Sundays are definitely lighter as well. Maybe someone with more recent intel can chime in on the traffic front.

White Cap is a good option for parking as long as everyone is comfortable with blue terrain. While the Little White Cap lift services green terrain you'll need to take the Tempest/White Cap lift to Cascades (a blue) or Bear Paw (not open yet but a green that should be a blue) to access Barker, South Ridge, and the rest of the mountain. I think it's less of a zoo to park at White Cap and plenty of people use it as their base. I ski out of White Cap every day due to where my condo is. As far as navigating to the other areas, you can take the White Cap/Barker combo which makes it possible to get to Aurora (via Three Mile Trail and Sensation) or Spruce, which accesses Jordan.

Parking at South Ridge proper and Barker quickly fills on weekends and they start using the satellite lots, the shuttle service is well-run. Getting out of South Ridge is a PITA and the two lifts out can get clogged - I try to avoid when possible.

There is now parking at Jordan, which is a good option if it's busy on the access road since you take a right fork before the congestion at Barker/South Ridge. The lot isn't huge but I think most people go for the parking at the main base areas. Follow the road to Jordan - it's not far but seems to take forever - and the lot is on the left BEFORE you get to the hotel. The ski trails Boots On and Boots Off connect the parking lot with Lollapalooza, Jordan's long green, and gets you to the lift. Note that you need to have your lift ticket sorted before going to Jordan, there are minimal skier services.

urungus

I’m gonna be there fr/sat on Super Bowl weekend. What’s the best strategy for parking those two days? We’d like to take in as much as possible, and it looks like each peak has a trail for everyone.

I guess the White cap lodge is good for one day? and the Barker, or South ridge lodges for the other? Seems like south ridge gets you to the opposite side easier. Is there parking at Jordan?
There is a ski-out, ski-in parking lot at Jordan

ColdRain&Snow

Saturday mornings I hear the parking conga line can stretch all the way down the access road to Rt 2. I'm on-mountain so haven't dealt with it but I hear you should arrive before lifts open or expect to wait. Friday should be fine, and I hear Sundays are definitely lighter as well. Maybe someone with more recent intel can chime in on the traffic front.

White Cap is a good option for parking as long as everyone is comfortable with blue terrain. While the Little White Cap lift services green terrain you'll need to take the Tempest/White Cap lift to Cascades (a blue) or Bear Paw (not open yet but a green that should be a blue) to access Barker, South Ridge, and the rest of the mountain. I think it's less of a zoo to park at White Cap and plenty of people use it as their base. I ski out of White Cap every day due to where my condo is. As far as navigating to the other areas, you can take the White Cap/Barker combo which makes it possible to get to Aurora (via Three Mile Trail and Sensation) or Spruce, which accesses Jordan.

Parking at South Ridge proper and Barker quickly fills on weekends and they start using the satellite lots, the shuttle service is well-run. Getting out of South Ridge is a PITA and the two lifts out can get clogged - I try to avoid when possible.

There is now parking at Jordan, which is a good option if it's busy on the access road since you take a right fork before the congestion at Barker/South Ridge. The lot isn't huge but I think most people go for the parking at the main base areas. Follow the road to Jordan - it's not far but seems to take forever - and the lot is on the left BEFORE you get to the hotel. The ski trails Boots On and Boots Off connect the parking lot with Lollapalooza, Jordan's long green, and gets you to the lift. Note that you need to have your lift ticket sorted before going to Jordan, there are minimal skier services.
There is a ski-out, ski-in parking lot at Jordan

Thanks, the better half needs the lodge for boots, so Jordan’s out.

I’m thinking south ridge on Friday for aurora oz and Jordan, and White cap Saturday for white cap Locke barker.

bigbob

Thanks, the better half needs the lodge for boots, so Jordan’s out.

I’m thinking south ridge on Friday for aurora oz and Jordan, and White cap Saturday for white cap Locke barker.
You may not be allowed to boot up in the White Cap Lodge according to the manager of the Shipyard Brew House. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2Planker

You may not be allowed to boot up in the White Cap Lodge according to the manager of the Shipyard Brew House. Please correct me if I am wrong.
They say NO But they're still short on staff so no one said/did anything last weekend (Fri., Sat & Sun)

machski

They say NO But they're still short on staff so no one said/did anything last weekend (Fri., Sat & Sun)
You can boot up using the benches on the first floor hall of White Cap. Be aware, the only in lodge bag storage is at South Ridge at The Bag, located on the right prior to entering the pedestrian tunnel under the lodge. No other lodge has indoor bag storage. Barker has outdoor cubbies along the outside walkway and white cap has nothing for storage.

machski

That doesn't really sound very inviting...
It's not terribly, no. But Shipyard does offer 4 different food outlet options in White Cap now so I guess something had to give. If they spent $$ on lodges the way they are spending on lifts/snowmaking, every lodge would have a level for bags/changing and brown bag lunches. But I'd rather they be spending how they are. Booting up in the truck is fine with me.

Vter

The Crew

Attachments

• IMG_5283.jpeg
    IMG_5283.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5287.jpeg
    IMG_5287.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5286.jpeg
    IMG_5286.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5285.png
    IMG_5285.png
    727.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0823.jpeg
    IMG_0823.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27

Vter

Now I drive Shuttle for turns, hey hey
Boyz & Gals. “Retirement” lol
I”lol never disappear…look me up. 1967-2024 on Hill…been around a bit. See ya at the Matterhorn

Vter

Now I drive Shuttle for turns, hey hey
Boyz & Gals. “Retirement” lol
I”lol never disappear…look me up. 1967-2024 on Hill…been around a bit. See ya at the Matterhorn
Sorry SR crew I miss ya, Smuggs & Stowe past 10. Goss darn, I had some great days with the SR Crew…Lov ya !!!

Vter

Does Barker upstairs still cater to the “Crew”
Are all the refugees still there ?
I like to know, should I stop by for the best mid-week skiing in the Nor East ! Place rocks

Vter

Does Barker upstairs still cater to the “Crew”
Are all the refugees still there ?
I like to know, should I stop by for the best mid-week skiing in the Nor East ! Place rocks, ChrisD

Newpylong

Did they retire the lights on Dreammaker? They posted a picture advertising twilight skiing and the trail was dark. I saw a picture of it dark last year. That's really the only trails with lights worth skiing there...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty quiet for a holiday at SR today. This was the line for the Chondola at 10:30.

Man made trails were all skiing great. Natural terrain rock hard with a couple inches of fresh. A small 6-8" storm and the place would be prime right now.

Attachments

• PXL_20240219_152648596.jpg
    PXL_20240219_152648596.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9

parahelia

I skied the 3-day weekend at SR and it was the quietest weekend I'd been there all season. The blackouts (both Ikon and NEP Silver) have really transformed the holiday weekend experience the past few years. DHS's photo was no anomaly - many of the core lifts were ski-on all weekend. Jordan picked up midday lines but that was about it. We had friends visiting for the weekend and they had a terrific experience.

SR hasn't picked up the natural Vermont has since the Feb 10 thaw. However, they did do some aggressive resurfacing since the thaw (vortex, rogue angel, upper downdraft, wildfire, white heat, american express, others...). They leave the side(s) of those trails ungroomed, so the bumps were good soft fun, especially with the little 1-2" storms that keep happening. Some of the low-angle natural trails (eg Sluice, lower Bim's Whim) were also pretty fun with the little fresh on top.

They need some sort of storm to bring all the natural terrain back in play, but I had way more fun than I expected this weekend.