• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

drjeff

Never heard of this app before and that's a great idea about aging parents.

My mom has early Alzheimer's. Still living independently with my dad, golfing, going to the local businesses and what not, but I doubt I'm saying that a year from now. We figure in two years they'll have to relocate to an assisted living facility with memory care services. I just texted my dad about it. He's stubborn, but said he'd think about it. Haha. I told him I'm going to get it for myself as I travel to remote places of New England all the time for work. Maybe that persuades him.
Good luck with your parents situation DHS!

Going through similar things with my in-laws and in particular, my father in-laws stubbornness to move into an assisted living facility. Finally after about 4 months he conceded that it would be a good thing and my wife and I found a very nice facility about 15 minutes from our house where my in-laws signed the paperwork for just before Christmas.

Now we just have to deal with my father in-laws ailing health and his stubbornness about getting rid of the crazy volume of stuff he has accumulated at their house on the Cape.

And from the Life 360 perspective, it's by far and away the tracking app the majority of my friends with kids with phones use. Their free app is good, some of their premium fee feature such as driving monitoring (gives reports about max speed, heavy breaking incidents, etc) have also been a good thing since my kids started driving (except when the weekly driving report shows that I had the highest speed of the week and my kids give me crap about that! 🤣🤣 )

Andrew B.

Never heard of this app before and that's a great idea about aging parents.

My mom has early Alzheimer's. Still living independently with my dad, golfing, going to the local businesses and what not, but I doubt I'm saying that a year from now. We figure in two years they'll have to relocate to an assisted living facility with memory care services. I just texted my dad about it. He's stubborn, but said he'd think about it. Haha. I told him I'm going to get it for myself as I travel to remote places of New England all the time for work. Maybe that persuades him.
Good luck with the family.
Having gone through some similar stuff the tracker on the phone may come in very handy (life saving maybe) as we found out especially if she is still driving.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good luck with the family.
Having gone through some similar stuff the tracker on the phone may come in very handy (life saving maybe) as we found out especially if she is still driving.

She is still driving fine locally, but dad no longer allows her to go longer distances alone.

My concern is she ends up losing memory of local places too and gets confused where she is. This is especially concerning along 41 in Western Florida where the whole thing looks exactly the same for 100 miles. It's just strip mall after strip mall with all the same chain businesses.

parahelia

Be careful with Life360 - there is a class action lawsuit against them for selling its users' location data to third parties (for advertising, etc.). They're accused of originally selling individual user's precise location data, though they say they are now aggregating it. We looked into it when we got our kids devices based on advice from other parents - but got squirrely about the privacy implications. We've been using the built-in FindMy in Apple products and it's been useful for the whole family (i.e., timing dinner based on people's distance from home, etc.)

And back to Sunday River - I skied 12/27-28 as well as 1/1-4 and the recovery has been impressive. Each day this week saw marked improvement, and they've laid down a lot of new snow. Temps kept the snowmaking to higher elevations at times, I was happy to see snowmaking on Vortex and Upper Downdraft. Now they just need to get the heavy equipment off the mountain so it's easier to get between Barker and South Ridge - Lazy River has been getting a ridiculous amount of traffic as the only route between the two.

machski

Be careful with Life360 - there is a class action lawsuit against them for selling its users' location data to third parties (for advertising, etc.). They're accused of originally selling individual user's precise location data, though they say they are now aggregating it. We looked into it when we got our kids devices based on advice from other parents - but got squirrely about the privacy implications. We've been using the built-in FindMy in Apple products and it's been useful for the whole family (i.e., timing dinner based on people's distance from home, etc.)

And back to Sunday River - I skied 12/27-28 as well as 1/1-4 and the recovery has been impressive. Each day this week saw marked improvement, and they've laid down a lot of new snow. Temps kept the snowmaking to higher elevations at times, I was happy to see snowmaking on Vortex and Upper Downdraft. Now they just need to get the heavy equipment off the mountain so it's easier to get between Barker and South Ridge - Lazy River has been getting a ridiculous amount of traffic as the only route between the two.
So that heavy equipment must be the holdup for making snow on North then? Really odd they haven't started hitting that. No way for green circle folks to get back over to Jordan until Dream/Sensation are open.

parahelia

I'm not sure about the north peak snowmaking hold up, but they've been sending heavy equipment up and down lower lazy river for days now. I think a lot of it is heading towards the bottom part of Grand Rapids where they've been doing some work to repair a culvert. Considering all the work they're doing, it's amazing the amount of terrain they have open (today they claim the most in Maine or NH, and just slightly under the VT leaders).

Culvert work on Grand Rapids - sorry for glare, taken from Chondi:
IMG_0890.JPG
Equipment on lower Lazy River - they have crossing guards in place to manage the traffic since this is the way to South Ridge from Barker. The cutover to Spruce from the top of the quad is still blocked off.
IMG_0886.JPG

On Wednesday they mounted a fan gun in the middle of lower Escapade (right near the SR quad unload) to blast it. They need to get some more ways down North Peak - can't believe it's January and the beginners still don't have Dream Maker...
IMG_0887.JPG

Andrew B.

My concern is she ends up losing memory of local places too and gets confused where she is.
We had a problem as someone was going “home” and went to their childhood home almost 60 miles away. That was the end of driving for them.

Might even consider an air tag on the car.

Good luck

powderseeker

Does anyone know if there are any snowmaking issues with the White Heat Quad trail pod? I'm a bit surprised that they have not done any snowmaking there, especially on Obsession. White Heat is also one of the marquee "testing yourself" trails that many people want to try, and this would bring in another lift to distribute skiers. Maybe they will move over there after completing Little White Cap?

Newpylong

Does anyone know if there are any snowmaking issues with the White Heat Quad trail pod? I'm a bit surprised that they have not done any snowmaking there, especially on Obsession. White Heat is also one of the marquee "testing yourself" trails that many people want to try, and this would bring in another lift to distribute skiers. Maybe they will move over there after completing Little White Cap?

I can see no White Heat proper yet, but definitely Assumption and/or Obsession to get the lift open. I was going to ask the same thing - in general it's almost seemed like they've pumped the brakes on snowmaking expansion in general. Working Merril Hill, Little White Cap, and resurfacing seems like it in the past week? There is a lot more to go around in that system than that.

machski

I can see no White Heat proper yet, but definitely Assumption and/or Obsession to get the lift open. I was going to ask the same thing - in general it's almost seemed like they've pumped the brakes on snowmaking expansion in general. Working Merril Hill, Little White Cap, and resurfacing seems like it in the past week? There is a lot more to go around in that system than that.
I'm convinced that they had to spend so much capital to stitch the place back together after the Grinch that they have pulled back on snowmaking expansion. Too many primo trails have yet to see anything but with the snow (yup, the rain helped to pack and increase the natural coverage density), they are starting to open some of those wiithout snowmaking. Obsession is getting it now, all the way to the summit. I would imagine WH is next. Then we'll see if they get to Vortex/BlackHole/Quantum/Shockwave. I would add Princess/Eureka/Top Gun to that list but they are already open on natural alone. Would be nice to top those off but wouldn't shock me if they don't (assuming the weather doesn't pivot hard).

bigbob

I'm convinced that they had to spend so much capital to stitch the place back together after the Grinch that they have pulled back on snowmaking expansion. Too many primo trails have yet to see anything but with the snow (yup, the rain helped to pack and increase the natural coverage density), they are starting to open some of those wiithout snowmaking. Obsession is getting it now, all the way to the summit. I would imagine WH is next. Then we'll see if they get to Vortex/BlackHole/Quantum/Shockwave. I would add Princess/Eureka/Top Gun to that list but they are already open on natural alone. Would be nice to top those off but wouldn't shock me if they don't (assuming the weather doesn't pivot hard).
Insurance companies are in no rush to write big checks, but if you are a day late they send out a cancelation notice.

machski

Insurance companies are in no rush to write big checks, but if you are a day late they send out a cancelation notice.
I doubt they are getting much insurance. Insurers are loath to cover flood damages on residential unless you have federal flood insurance. No idea if businesses can get covered. I do not believe Mills got this declared a federal disaster so no fed $$ either.

bigbob

I doubt they are getting much insurance. Insurers are loath to cover flood damages on residential unless you have federal flood insurance. No idea if businesses can get covered. I do not believe Mills got this declared a federal disaster so no fed $$ either.
With all the public road damage I would be shocked if Mills did not apply for and get federal aid. Sunday River would have private insurance on their buisness property which I would assume cover flood damage, this is not the first time this has happened. Private home owners would be on their own to get flood insurance, but there would have to be flood zone maps for their town in order to qualify for federaly backed insurance the way I understand it.

machski

With all the public road damage I would be shocked if Mills did not apply for and get federal aid. Sunday River would have private insurance on their buisness property which I would assume cover flood damage, this is not the first time this has happened. Private home owners would be on their own to get flood insurance, but there would have to be flood zone maps for their town in order to qualify for federaly backed insurance the way I understand it.
Yes, that is how residential works for flood insurance. Have to have flood zone maps. Also, if you are in a flood zone and have to rebuild, you have to build above BFE one way or another or the federal flood insurance won't pay. Can be a royal PIA.

parahelia

I skied SR last weekend (Jan 27/28) and boy am I glad I didn't let the initial weather forecast scare me off. They picked up 4" of snow from the Friday event and no ice. Everything was skiing great - the naturals and unmarked woods were the best I'd seen all season. They opened up some nats for the first time all season (Bim's Whim, lower Chutzpah). Funny thing was that some trails were even better Sunday than Saturday - the crust layers deeper in the snowpack seemed to soften up and bind with the fresh. Poppy Fields and Double Blind were awesome - couldn't believe how much snow was there, with only light traffic over the weekend. I am one tired happy camper this week.

ColdRain&Snow

I’m gonna be there fr/sat on Super Bowl weekend. What’s the best strategy for parking those two days? We’d like to take in as much as possible, and it looks like each peak has a trail for everyone.

I guess the White cap lodge is good for one day? and the Barker, or South ridge lodges for the other? Seems like south ridge gets you to the opposite side easier. Is there parking at Jordan?