• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River is making snow 06:40 pn September 26, 2009

ga2ski

Sunday River is making snow 06:40 pn September 26, 2009

Just a test, but snow none the less

http://www.sundayriver.com/TheMountain/livecam.html

2867077430067363218S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:

jerryg

They didn't win anything.....get back when they are actually open for skiing. Who says marketing snow doesn't work.

While I think the person was just excited that someone in the east had made snow, we all realize it was a just a "blow out the mice" snowmaking test. That being said, SR will be in the mix for the first to open, guaranteed. Only Killington and Mount Snow will be able to say that come November 1st, and perhaps not the latter...

Congrats in advance to whomever spins their lifts first!

Geoff

While I think the person was just excited that someone in the east had made snow, we all realize it was a just a "blow out the mice" snowmaking test. That being said, SR will be in the mix for the first to open, guaranteed. Only Killington and Mount Snow will be able to say that come November 1st, and perhaps not the latter...

Congrats in advance to whomever spins their lifts first!

Sunday River can open first any year they want. North-facing intermediate terrain serviced by a fixed-grip lift with a midstation. Killington doesn't have the lift infrastructure or the will. Mount Snow doesn't have the latitude. Sugarbush could do it but I doubt they would get the marketing bang for the buck to justify it.

Highway Star

Good to see SR fire up a couple fan guns and stoke the fire. We're all pretty excited to get things going this year and start making snow for base building!

You know what would be cool Tom? If you could "test the snowguns on Upper Downdraft" to the tune of about 3 feet of snow. Say, before the weekend of the Brewfest (next weekend) or the Ski Swap (two weeks away). Then, "test putting out some rail slides and boxes", and "test putting up the old superpipe rope tow on downdraft", or "test letting people hike". And "test letting people ride up the K-1 to get to it" and maybe "test charging them a nominal fee and issuing a ticket"?

What do you think? What does everyone else think?

:flame::spin:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
You know what would be cool Tom? If you could "test the snowguns on Upper Downdraft" to the tune of about 3 feet of snow. Say, before the weekend of the Brewfest (next weekend) or the Ski Swap (two weeks away). Then, "test putting out some rail slides and boxes", and "test putting up the old superpipe rope tow on downdraft", or "test letting people hike". And "test letting people ride up the K-1 to get to it" and maybe "test charging them a nominal fee and issuing a ticket"?

What do you think? What does everyone else think?

:flame::spin:

That would bring way too many people, who's gonna be in the parking lots, the lifts, sell tickets, ski patrol blah, blah...... Course, I suppose management could handle it for one day. Bring people to the mountain, what a crazy concept. :lol: :wink:

Conversly, the thought of maybe a couple hundred drunks on the rails and other hits, using the lift..............hmmmm....maybe not. :wink: Doing on a day or a few days not during Brewfest is at least worthy of consideration. Oh well, maybe next year.

Highway Star

That would bring way too many people, who's gonna be in the parking lots, the lifts, sell tickets, ski patrol blah, blah...... Course, I suppose management could handle it for one day. Bring people to the mountain, what a crazy concept. :lol: :wink:

Conversly, the thought of maybe a couple hundred drunks on the rails and other hits, using the lift..............hmmmm....maybe not. :wink: Doing on a day or a few days not during Brewfest is at least worthy of consideration. Oh well, maybe next year.

Didn't you hear that people don't care about skiing in October.....?

Greg

Staff member
Was that mostly mist/water or was it actually snow? I guess it was cold enough that morning. Anyway, it definitely adds to the stoke factor.

wa-loaf

They actually talked about it briefly on the radio this morning. They made it sound like SR had already started building a base for the ski season. LOL. Good marketing I suppose if folks fall for that.

WJenness

They actually talked about it briefly on the radio this morning. They made it sound like SR had already started building a base for the ski season. LOL. Good marketing I suppose if folks fall for that.

And therein lies the value in saying 'hey, our snow making system is so powerful, we started making snow in September!'

Hopefully they'll actually be able to make a ton of snow once the real snow making window opens.

-w

Vortex

It will be interesting what they consider a window. ..

coped from accu weather.

Colder with a showerLow: 31 °FHigh: 46 °FSaturday, Oct 10More Details RainLow: 23 °FHigh: 48 °FSunday, Oct 11More Details An a.m. flurry; mostly cloudyLow: 24 °FHigh: 45 °FMonday, Oct 12More Details Mostly cloudyLow: 29 °FHigh: it will Be interesting

WJenness

It will be interesting what they consider a window. ..

coped from accu weather.

Colder with a showerLow: 31 °FHigh: 46 °FSaturday, Oct 10More Details RainLow: 23 °FHigh: 48 °FSunday, Oct 11More Details An a.m. flurry; mostly cloudyLow: 24 °FHigh: 45 °FMonday, Oct 12More Details Mostly cloudyLow: 29 °FHigh: it will Be interesting

I was just looking at that too...

But It's accuweather extended forecast... so who knows.

That said, Fall festival + skiing??? wouldn't that be awesome.

-w