• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River, ME: 11/03/07

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
:snow:

It took me a while to make a decision this morning. After rolling out of bed at 8am and lounging around the house, looking at the forecast, looking at the radar loop, etc. it was just after 10am before I decided the hell with it, I am going skiing today, rain be damned. Thankfully, no rain fell until all my gear was packed up, and even then I only encountered a few sprinkles on the way home.

Snow making was going on Locke when I arrived at noon time but it got shut down soon after. Temperature was balmy despite the cool breeze and I quickly confirmed my suspicions that they let the guns go just a touch to long. Short hike up Cascades and then I slapped the skins on for the first time this year :D and only had to click out of my bindings twice due to some creative route finding skills ;)

T2 is wall to wall with one foot base depth. Snow guns were ready to blow some more. Small mounds were present on the steeper part, perhaps pushed around snow from Halloween? Upper Sunday Punch had guns layed out too but much less coverage, no more than half a foot deep and a few open rivers. Ground is still far from frozen even at Sunday River's upper elevation. I took two runs down T2 since skinning up Upper Sunday Punch revealed too many obstacles and less pitch. Looked like Goat Path to Ecstasy might have also had snow making setup? Look for three routes down from Locke Summit next Saturday from the looks of things. Snow making on Cascades will essentially begin again from scratch. I managed to connect the patches with only three ski removals on my descent and made it to within 100 vertical feet of my car. But it was survival and desperation skiing most of the way below Chair 9 intersection.

The disadvantages of living in NH instead of VT are already apparent with 2 hours drive time instead of 1.5 hours each way, but its all good! :-D

20071103sundayriver04.jpg

20071103sundayriver07.jpg

Full Report and Photo Gallery

bvibert

Staff member
Looks a little thin at the end there. ;) Thanks for the report, sounds like they shouldn't have any trouble reaching their scheduled opening date if things keep going the way they have been. :snow: Now all we need is some natural across the region to get things moving!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yes, they should have no trouble opening by their scheduled date and could easily open Thursday if they want to ensure the first to open designation. I am really impressed with Sunday River's effort and will probably be back next weekend as a paying customer.

bigbog

.....kudos!

Thataway Steve, great to see the first TRs! The mountain crews @both the River & the Loaf do topnotch work for what temps they're dealt...imo.

$.01...
SteveD