• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Super Bowl Sunday Skiing

Krikaya

About the tram....

I love the tram. I almost always park there. It has less crowds than the Peabody Base. It opens earlier. It gets you straight to the summit. It offers kick ass top to bottom runs.

BUT!!!... Not everyone loves the tram (including many locals). There are very limit amenities at the base (i.e. No beer). You can buy a lift ticket, but sometimes they can't handle coupons or other special situations. When it's crowded the tram sucks, you can wait in absurd lines and you have no escape. This could easily be the case this Sunday. Some of Cannon's tougher trails bring you back to the tram base, so it's not a great option for beginners.

Again, I am a huge fan of the tram. Just giving fair warning.

I'm hoping to hit tramway,middle cannon bypass, paulie's extension, then paulie's folly or avalanche trails back to the tram BEFORE they get skied off. That route is pure pleasure when the snow is good. I've only skied it a few times when I could turn where I wanted to. The rest of the time I was searching for places where I could set an edge. Cannon boilerplate is pretty nasty. But when it's good there's no place I'd rather be. Now, if I could just make sure I get my lazy ass outta bed in time. This might work......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3MNXI0phaw

JDMRoma

Skied at Cannon today with JDMRoma. Conditons were good and should be better if we get some snow Saturday night. Wind was blowing things down to ice at the end of the day. Upper Glade still look bony at the exits but the entrances look good. Mitty still not in play unless you do care about your skis. Banshee may be doable.

Great Day skiing Cannon, Thanks Puck it for showing me around today…I think my favorite trail of the day was Vistaway….I did it a couple more times before leaving. Sunday should be good…..Think Snow !

skifree

Trams great first thing in the morning when you are hung over with 79 of your closest friends

ScottySkis

Anyone aware of any local mountains (east coast, NJ) offering any super bowl sunday specials? Figured that i would ask here before perusing the websites. Thanks in advance!
Windham in Catskills you can get a ticket through potter Brothers with store in Kingston NY and few others places in Mid Hudson valley tickets is 43.95$. www.potterbrothers.com

Hunter Mountain in Catskills 48$ through Hunter website 48 and I be there can't wait.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

The Zoomer pod at Cannon was outstanding on Saturday.The top,not so much with a lot of bullet proof lurking.We got hosed on the snow with at most and inch and it blew about 30-40 at Mittersill while it came down Sat night.I left SuperbowlSunday at noon and there was a full Echo Lake parking lot and 1 full lot at Mittersill.Certainly less than previous years.

C-Rex

I had a great day at Cannon yesterday. It was cool to meet a bunch of you. Sorry I didn't get to ride with you though. I spent way too much time waiting around for my friends all day.:evil: Middle Hardscrabble was awesome with soft snow and all those whales and rollers! We lapped that a few times! I can't wait to get back there after a good snow. Fun mountain for sure!

Puck it

I had a great day at Cannon yesterday. It was cool to meet a bunch of you. Sorry I didn't get to ride with you though. I spent way too much time waiting around for my friends all day.:evil: Middle Hardscrabble was awesome with soft snow and all those whales and rollers! We lapped that a few times! I can't wait to get back there after a good snow. Fun mountain for sure!

That was actually Lower Hardscrabble unless you poached Mid which was closed.

Smellytele

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowd yesterday at Killington. Waits of no more than 3 or 4 minutes. Not bad for a weekend.

Last edited:

C-Rex

That was actually Lower Hardscrabble unless you poached Mid which was closed.

Ok, I was a little confused because the map said it's a blue but the sign said black. I guess that's just because they left it all ungroomed? Either way, super fun launching off all that stuff. My abs are a little sore from pulling my board up to do grabs.

SIKSKIER

Easy to confuse those trails.Very weird that Middle and Lower are basically side by side trails in that middle does not run into lower until the bottom of lower.Look at a trail map and see how strange it is.Technically,both middle and lower start from upper.Weird.

Puck it

Easy to confuse those trails.Very weird that Middle and Lower are basically side by side trails in that middle does not run into lower until the bottom of lower.Look at a trail map and see how strange it is.Technically,both middle and lower start from upper.Weird.

Not any more, Lower starts from Short Fuse. And Lower runs into Blueball, not to be confused by Mid running into Redball not before MH Cut Thru.

Cannonball and I were talking how messed up it was on Sunday.

SIKSKIER

Only because they changed it and added Short fuse as another trail to gain trail count.Lower has always started off the cutback from Taft/Ravine/Skylite Just like Middle does.As I said,Middle does not run into Lower until almost the bottom of Lower which is the weird part.Its clear on the online trailmap.

Puck it

Only because they changed it and added Short fuse as another trail to gain trail count.Lower has always started off the cutback from Taft/Ravine/Skylite Just like Middle does.As I said,Middle does not run into Lower until almost the bottom of Lower which is the weird part.Its clear on the online trailmap.

I know about Short Fuse. So you think that uphill section from Mid is actually Mid. I did not know that.