• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SuperPasses 20/21

JimG.

Staff member
That dedication going back and forth to Killington in one day 3.5 hours each way! How do you stay awake on the drive home?

Like Kusty said, you just get in the car and do it.

It helps that I genuinely enjoy driving. And I love skiing.

thebigo

If I understand the only advantage to buying epic now is the buddy and swaf tickets. Has anyone used the buddy or ski with a friend tickets? Do you save real money or is it 10% off a $100 ticket?

Smellytele

If I understand the only advantage to buying epic now is the buddy and swaf tickets. Has anyone used the buddy or ski with a friend tickets? Do you save real money or is it 10% off a $100 ticket?

I have used them out west before and you save 30-50%. I skied vail and beaver creek for about $100 each. Walk up was close to 200 at the time

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tonyr

My brother met us in Beaver Creek this year for a few days. When I went to purchase tickets for him I thought I had buddy passes but they were only the friends and family passes. I think the walk up rate at Vail/BC is $220, the buddy pass was $135 and the friends & family pass price was $190 which is the price you could have paid online by booking a week or two ahead of time. There is not a whole lot of value to the friends and family tickets, it's kind of a joke that Vail even offers it as a benefit.

skiur

Rumor I heard, but not very reliable, is K 365 passholders, (top tier) will get a free Ikon. To be announced soon.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

I have heard that rumor too, but K has announced there prices for next year and no mention of an ikon pass for 365 passholders.

chuckstah

Snowbird just announced a free Ikon with the top tier pass and, as noted above, K announced prices without a free Ikon, so it looks like a no go. Or maybe details are still being worked out. No one will complain if suddenly offered a free Ikon with the 365 pass.

https://www.snowbird.com/superior-pass/

sankaty

Killington just updated their pass page to show that the 365 pass does indeed include an Ikon Base pass.

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-passes/season-passes

Still way over budget for me, but I guess a decent deal for folks that can take advantage of all the benefits.

Would love to see K offer a blackout pass. Seems notable that they haven't been promoting their products yet (nothing on the front page or via social media). Maybe things are still in flux?

BenedictGomez

Snowbird just announced a free Ikon with the top tier pass and

Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but this seems to me like Snowbird identified that, "Houston, we have a problem" with IKON, but their solution is to "buy off" their customers by making even more people IKON. Instead of killing the zombies, make everyone a zombie.

sankaty

Yikes that k+ikon is expensive. $1400 early bird

Yup. To put that in perspective, that single pass costs about $300 more than my family of four pays total to ski unrestricted at Pico.

I realize it's more for more, but it's a lot more. We'd be much better off paying a la carte for extra skiing.

KustyTheKlown

i'd have considered it if it was more like ~$1000. extra $350 for unlimited k/pico would allow me to log a shit ton of early and late season k days.

sankaty

Another way to think of it, a Pico pass plus an Epic Local pass would be about $1150. Much rather have that. Then could add the K spring pass for $240 late in the season.

Or an Ikon Base plus an Epic NE: $1300

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yikes that k+ikon is expensive. $1400 early bird

Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but this seems to me like Snowbird identified that, "Houston, we have a problem" with IKON, but their solution is to "buy off" their customers by making even more people IKON. Instead of killing the zombies, make everyone a zombie.

Yes, as I predicted, Snowbird has rolled out some of their season pass options and there is a price increase for the regular season pass. It is a modest $50 increase, but still an increase.

https://www.snowbird.com/season-passes/

I also quoted the Killington comment because it appears that POWDR has decided to offer its passholders an option that includes the IKON Base pass apparently to soothe the angry masses. Unlike Aspen or Jackson Hole though, folks who want this will have to pay for it.

I say POWDR as the equivalent for Snowbird because they are now almost the same. For those who did not see this, Snowbird was owned by Ian Cumming, the financier of POWDR and the father of POWDR's owner, John Cumming. Ian died a few years ago and the "family" continued to run Snowbird as a separate entity from POWDR until this past year when John "stepped down" from POWDR and took over Snowbird. So, unfortunately, we're now blessed with his presence and his [lack of] business acumen. He's the guy who laid off an underling whose job was to renew a vital lease for Park City. As I predicted, he could have cut back on IKON to reduce crowding in LCC and make passholders happy. Jackson and Aspen did this pretty easily by adding a surcharge to IKON base. Alta/Snowbird, in their infinite wisdom, did nothing. Remember that Snowbird reported that they had a drop in passholders this season. So cutting back on IKON would make passholders happy and make the market reconsider buying Snowbird passes. In the alternative, as I cynically predicted, he did nothing and increased pass prices.

As to the "Superior" Pass at Snowbird, it includes a day at Woodward, a "guided" adventure at Snowbird (either cat skiing or something else), and an IKON base pass. The catch--NO access to Alta. :blink: I really don't get that one nor see how that is going to be enforced since IKON base includes five Alta/Bird days.

My wife told me about it last night as we were in bed and asked me, "who would buy that pass?" Honestly, I don't know. If anything, it is just another option that folks will look at and probably not purchase. But it is lockstep with POWDR's resort offerings.

No word on Alta/Bird pass options. We have to wait until "May 1st" for some reason. If I had to guess, Alta and Snowbird are still not playing nice.

Last edited:

skiur

Yes, as I predicted, Snowbird has rolled out some of their season pass options and there is a price increase for the regular season pass. It is a modest $50 increase, but still an increase.

https://www.snowbird.com/season-passes/

I also quoted the Killington comment because it appears that POWDR has decided to offer its passholders an option that includes the IKON Base pass apparently to soothe the angry masses. Unlike Aspen or Jackson Hole though, folks who want this will have to pay for it.

I say POWDR as the equivalent for Snowbird because they are now almost the same. For those who did not see this, Snowbird was owned by Ian Cumming, the financier of POWDR and the father of POWDR's owner, John Cumming. Ian died a few years ago and the "family" continued to run Snowbird as a separate entity from POWDR until this past year when John "stepped down" from POWDR and took over Snowbird. So, unfortunately, we're now blessed with his presence and his [lack of] business acumen. He's the guy who laid off an underling whose job was to renew a vital lease for Park City. As I predicted, he could have cut back on IKON to reduce crowding in LCC and make passholders happy. Jackson and Aspen did this pretty easily by adding a surcharge to IKON base. Alta/Snowbird, in their infinite wisdom, did nothing. Remember that Snowbird reported that they had a drop in passholders this season. So cutting back on IKON would make passholders happy and make the market reconsider buying Snowbird passes. In the alternative, as I cynically predicted, he did nothing and increased pass prices.

As to the "Superior" Pass at Snowbird, it includes a day at Woodward, a "guided" adventure at Snowbird (either cat skiing or something else), and an IKON base pass. The catch--NO access to Alta. :blink: I really don't get that one nor see how that is going to be enforced since IKON base includes five Alta/Bird days.

My wife told me about it last night as we were in bed and asked me, "who would buy that pass?" Honestly, I don't know. If anything, it is just another option that folks will look at and probably not purchase. But it is lockstep with POWDR's resort offerings.

No word on Alta/Bird pass options. We have to wait until "May 1st" for some reason. If I had to guess, Alta and Snowbird are still not playing nice.

I just dont see how they could offer alta with the snowbird pass, it would be a slap in the face to all the snowbird snowboarders who would not be able to use it. What percentage of snowbird passholders do you think are boarders? Has to be atleast 35%.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

There is some connection between Ikon and Camelback now as Camelback offered an upgrade to get an Ikon pass for their Season Pass holders as a Black Friday deal last year. Made me hopeful they might be on Ikon this year, but they are not. So sticking with Epic ans skiing the Peak places when I don't want to go further than PA (from NJ)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just dont see how they could offer alta with the snowbird pass, it would be a slap in the face to all the snowbird snowboarders who would not be able to use it. What percentage of snowbird passholders do you think are boarders? Has to be atleast 35%.

FWIW since 2013 they have offered Snowbird Passholders a certain number of free days at Alta as part of the "Wasatch Benefits Program" as well as discounted days for passholders for quite some time. So it's already been done...