• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sweet Rack or Nice Box!

How do you carry your skis?

• Rack

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Box

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Whatever, it all gets tossed in the back.

Votes: 52 53.1%

• Total voters

madskier6

A box is essential for me and my family. I can put all the gear for me, my wife & 4 children in there & not worry about it. Plus at the end of the ski day, you can throw everyone's boots & helmets up there so they don't clutter up the car. I have a fairly large Thule box so I'm able to do that.

I guess if one doesn't have as many skiing members in the family a rack would suffice but it's completely inadequate for my needs.

Terry

We have a Honda Accord 4 door and the center of the rear seat has a hatch that opens to the trunk. I can fit 3 pairs of skis in the trunk and out through the hatch. This way, I don't need a rack or a box on top. Most of the time it is just my wife and I and there is plenty of room for our gear. We went to Killington last spring with my daughter with us and we still had enough room for the 3 of us and all of our weekend gear.

Sky

The Honda arrangement..or any "split seat" that allows for skis/boards is a sweet deal...so long as there are only two or three adults and the the ride is relatively short. It certainly works out well for the REST of the year when you need the gas mileage!

I have a Barrecrafter box. I love it! Off an on in minutes. Great for skis...A bit tight for three sets of skis and a board though. All those bindings clashing together. :<

The box ix also sweet for summer vaca...toss stuff in there and have more room for other stuff in the rear. Great for the fishing rods!

I must admit I opened this thread just to see where loafer was going with it.

I used to have a pimp-ass Thule rack on my old Jetta but now I just slide my skis through the center passthrough and keep them in a ski Bag...

Hawkshot99

I have the whole thule system, roof rack then the ski rack. But lately I have just been laying down my back seat(Honda Crv) and putting the skis in there. The rack robs alot of mileage....

Greg

Staff member
Old Barrecrafter rack. Only used when skiing with others and the skis are bagged. When solo, the skis are tossed in the back. Want to get a box someday though to use for the longer ski vacations with the family and on summer trips.

sledhaulingmedic

Full side pick-up with a cap. It has a Yakima rack, but it sold the ski attatchment for it. No point.

wa-loaf

I must admit I opened this thread just to see where loafer was going with it.

Heh heh, ya I thought it might get a few extra views. It's hot out again, just trying for a little entertainment. :smile:

jimmer

sweet racks are nice [the bigger the better], and theres nothing wrong with a nice box [the smaller the better], but i just toss my skiis in the bed of my pick-up, covered with a padded bed.i can haul alot of gear.

jimmer

skiNEwhere

toss it in the back.

I go with one other person, if anyone, so we can fit fine in the car w/ the gear

mishka

skis going inside. rear seat in toyota folding and split give enough room for at least two kids and 4 pairs of skis

skibum9995

I have a rack but my rear seat center armrest folds down to allow my skis to pass through from the trunk so thats what I usually do. I'll put the rack on if I'm going with more than one other person to make room for other gear in the trunk.

drjeff

I used to be a pure rack/inside kind of guy, then the kids came along and suddenly more gear and the need for a box. Now I've got a Thule Evolution 2100 (the big box) and I still wonder how I got along without it. It gets used year round too, and goes on/off in under 2 minutes.

The only problem with it, is that my wife's car(Audi Q7) is one of the few vehicle makes/models that ANY of the major rack manufacturers (Thule/Yakima/Barrcrafters) haven't come up with an assembly to attach any set of rails/roof box too yet

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I throw everything in the back of my coverd pick-up. Leaves more room up front for other people, if required, and keeps snowmelt from getting everything wet.

P.S. I have a Thule Rack on top of the cap for my bike and Kayaks during the off season :)

Grassi21

sweet racks are nice [the bigger the better], and theres nothing wrong with a nice box [the smaller the better], but i just toss my skiis in the bed of my pick-up, covered with a padded bed.i can haul alot of gear.

jimmer

Don't forget that there is nothing wrong with a little junk in the trunk.