• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sweet Rack or Nice Box!

How do you carry your skis?

• Rack

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Box

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Whatever, it all gets tossed in the back.

Votes: 52 53.1%

• Total voters

Grassi21

I have a Thule Evolution box and just love it. Fits all the ski gear for the family and is also great for extra room on those summer trips.

We roll with one of these as well. With two dogs and a baby the thing is on the truck year-round. I love it. I will be looking into a Thule rack though. I want to toss a set of J brackets up top for the kayak. Has anyone mounted a Thule box and J brackets simultaneously? i think I can get away with it if I scoot the box to one side of the Thule rack.

bvibert

Staff member
If I'm going solo locally I just throw them in the back of my pick-up or I would fold down the back seat of my wife's truck and put em in there. Now that we have two car seats in her truck that option won't work. We have Thule rack system on her truck now, we used to have one of the Yakima ones that mount the factory roof rack until I drove into a low over-hang with the mountain bikes on top and ripped the factory rack off of the car last year... :roll:

Want to get a box someday though to use for the longer ski vacations with the family and on summer trips.

I just got a Barrecrafter box from my brother-in-law for free. Unfortunately he gave it to me on our way home from our camping trip this weekend. I really could have used it to pack for the trip. It's going to make taking trips with the kids much easier in the future.

WWF-VT

Family has two station wagons both with racks on top. 3 pairs of skis and one board on top with rest of the gear in the back.

ccskier

Box, Thule 2100. Holds plenty. Have dog in way back, baby and myself in the back seat watching a movie with a beer or two when the wife drives, or vice versa. Driving about 300 miles every Friday and Sunday night for 4 months can get to be a pain.

Greg

Staff member
we used to have one of the Yakima ones that mount the factory roof rack until I drove into a low over-hang with the mountain bikes on top and ripped the factory rack off of the car last year... :roll:

I just can't let this post slip by with out laughing and pointing...
img_girl_pointing.jpg

Sorry, that sucks...

wa-loaf

Has anyone mounted a Thule box and J brackets simultaneously? i think I can get away with it if I scoot the box to one side of the Thule rack.

You can get extra wide bars. Just watch your head gettin in and out of the car. :lol:

snowman

I have an Avalanche, which turned out to be pretty sweet for skis! Locked, dry box with a rubber drained floor! It gets just warm enough back there for the snow to melt off and run out the drainage holes. Except for a tune or to switch up which ones I need I can pretty well leave my skis in the back all winter! :snow:

wa-loaf

I have an Avalanche, which turned out to be pretty sweet for skis! Locked, dry box with a rubber drained floor! It gets just warm enough back there for the snow to melt off and run out the drainage holes. Except for a tune or to switch up which ones I need I can pretty well leave my skis in the back all winter! :snow:

Good to know. Now where do you park? :-D

bvibert

Staff member
I just can't let this post slip by with out laughing and pointing...
img_girl_pointing.jpg

Sorry, that sucks...

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. It did suck, it ended up costing me around $150 which I guess isn't that bad. The truck still doesn't have a roof rack on it, but I recently got one for free. The real kicker was that the bikes were only a few days old, we were on our way to take them for their second ride. :(

SkiFirst

I use to just put the gear in the car but once you have kids the box on top is a good thing to have. So i have a thule ontop of my car.

you should love your sticks enough to place them in a warm and cozy box. Box is great...I like having a spare pair of skis in there...in case a binding breaks or the conditions are better served by a wider/narrower pair. I cringe when I see someone driving down the road with their skis/boards on a rack all exposed to the road grime...not so good for bases, edges, and especially bindings.

Greg

Staff member
you should love your sticks enough to place them in a warm and cozy box. Box is great...I like having a spare pair of skis in there...in case a binding breaks or the conditions are better served by a wider/narrower pair. I cringe when I see someone driving down the road with their skis/boards on a rack all exposed to the road grime...not so good for bases, edges, and especially bindings.

Yup. Unless I'm staying very local and I know the roads are totally dry, I bag 'em before I rack 'em.

ctenidae

Thule Aero bars with the standard Thule racks. My wife would kill me if she saw me sliding sharp edges and wet skis across the leather seats. I don't even want to consider the pain she'd put me in.

snowman

1. It's a joke.
2. Like you couldn't pop open the cover in 30 secs with a crowbar.
3. Who listens to alarms?
:smash:

1. I realize that :lol:
2. It's not a "cover", it's a mechanically secured lid which you can literally jump on. 2.1 How do you even know what's under my mechanically secured lid?? 2.2 Your crowbar would be far more usefull smashing the glass on the car next to mine or prying open a thule box.
3. Thieves do and pick on "easier" targets.

wa-loaf

2. It's not a "cover", it's a mechanically secured lid which you can literally jump on. 2.1 How do you even know what's under my mechanically secured lid?? 2.2 Your crowbar would be far more usefull smashing the glass on the car next to mine or prying open a thule box.

I was picturing one of those locking fiberglass tonneau covers. And assuming of course I know what you have in the truck. ;-)