• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sweet Rack or Nice Box!

How do you carry your skis?

• Rack

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Box

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Whatever, it all gets tossed in the back.

Votes: 52 53.1%

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Rack, I've got a Thule that I love. I use it all the time, I can't even believe the crap I put on the rack sometimes and get home with (furniture, couches, christmas trees, I've put everything on my roof rack).

hammer

I put my Thule box on my Subaru at the beginning of the season and just leave it on until the season's over. I'm sure I take a small hit on the gas mileage but it's not worth the trouble to remove it all the time.
Subaru was donated a few years ago, and the new vehicles don't have crossbars, so the gear gets tossed in the back. Nice that many sedans today have fold-down seats.

Still have the Thule box if anyone is interested in purchasing a used one. Box and hardware are in good shape.

steamboat1

They get tossed in the back if there are only 1 or 2 people in the car. Otherwise I have a large Thule coffin I can throw on quick that I've put 4 pairs of ski's, poles & boots in along with 3 6ft. hero's with room to spare.

bvibert

Staff member
I've got a sweet rack and a nice box. Lately I haven't been using either.

vcunning

This probably seems obsessive . . . but my Thule Box has been repainted to exactly match the color of my Dodge Magnum Hemi AWD (Black Black Crystal Coat Paint). I had all the Thule badges removed as well as all the Dodge badges. I just ordered my Pisten Bully decal for the back of the box.

My wife says I need professional help. I'm sure she's right.

bigbog

Think the box would work nicely but skistuff now goes in trunk w/folddown backseats in the Xterra. Thule bars on year-round = mainly for canoes. Never know when the paddling year will start..LOL. = ie whenever streams open up.

wa-loaf

This probably seems obsessive . . . but my Thule Box has been repainted to exactly match the color of my Dodge Magnum Hemi AWD (Black Black Crystal Coat Paint). I had all the Thule badges removed as well as all the Dodge badges. I just ordered my Pisten Bully decal for the back of the box.

You need to scroll back to the beginning of this thread where you posted a pic of your car and Thule box!

drjeff

Actually FOR YOU, this is pretty tame behavior ;) :lol:

vcunning

You need to scroll back to the beginning of this thread where you posted a pic of your car and Thule box!

LOL . . . I didnt realize this was a 4 year old thread. My box has 130k miles on it since then.

Smellytele

I have a pickup truck that I use when just a couple of us go. Just throw the junk in the bed. With the family mobile I used to use a rack until this year. I bought a nice Thule box this year at a yard sale for 15 bucks. Although it wasn't a virgin it was still in good shape.