• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sweet Spot for Saturday?

ThatGuy

I have a FWD car with Blizzaks, handles great in the snow as long as its not deeper than the bumpers.
Waiting till Monday for this one though, rather watch the World Cup than deal with powder frenzied people on low trail count.
I'll be chasing the next storm for sure with this new base.

drjeff

yeah noone sane is driving up Friday afternoon/ evening.

Saturday early may be sweet! I wish magic would open Saturday.

and regarding crowds-i think many people will have to skip this weekend due to holiday bullshit, etc. not to mention the drive up. even sat morn may not be great.

Call me crazy then ;)

Not really too worried about the drive later tomorrow afternoon. The way I go, I-91 will likely be mostly rain up until I get off of it in Brattleboro. Then I'll just check the link I referenced earlier in this thread with the location of the VT Transportation plows, and follow one up route 9 over to Wilmington and then up 100 to Mount Snow. The reality is that at most base elevations this storm will be dropping a foot +/- a few inches (the big totals will be at the summits) and given the duration of this storm, the realistic base elevation totals and how good a job VT Trans typically does with a storm I don't think this will be as bad a drive as say with some of those storms where you get HEAVY banding that can drop 2-4" an hour or those UGLY storms where you get some freezing rain mixing in.

Got some Blizzaks with less than 5k miles on them on my AWD Acadia. Had plenty of storm drives in the 20ish years my wife and I and kids have been doing the most every weekend during ski season trips to VT, and if it's taught me one thing, it's just be patient, and I mentally go into a drive like I will be on tomorrow with the midset that instead of say the typical 2:45 it takes me to make the trip, it's going to take 5hrs (my hunch right now is tommorow will ultimately be like a 3:45 ride for me, which it what it took me to get home last Sunday nightg when all 142 miles were on snowy/slushy roads, whereas at the time I am traveling tomorrow, it's probably going to be more like 100 miles of wet roads and 40 miles of snowy roads. That is the nice things about elevation storms like this one when traveling up from the South, you can stay on low elevation roads like 91 or 87 and cut down on the amount of time that you are actually driving on a snowy road

abc

Waiting till Monday for this one though, rather watch the World Cup than deal with powder frenzied people on low trail count.
I thought that way before France kicked Morocco out to Saturday. Now I’m going to go skiing Saturday instead of watching 2 defensive teams mowing the grass in front of their own goal posts. Doing only day trip though. Back home to watch Sunday’s match between Argentina and France. Should be a fun one.

I'll be chasing the next storm for sure with this new base.
Exactly!

Zand

NWS point and click for Stratton now adds up from a 2 footer on the low end to a 40-burger on the high end.

hespeler

Mostly rain in Hudson Valley. I’m going. Will take it very slow on the final push up to the mountain.

Vter

30 yrs plowing & sanding and driving busses, but the King is King of snow driving. Oh, and btw, I’ve been skiing since ‘67, but the King is King. Stay far away from the plows, don’t be that ass that ties up the roads for hours/days cause you need 1st Tracks

Vter

You folks need to calm TFuk down on driving…sit back and wait, unless your here. Plow drivers/sanders will cut your time in 1/2, just wait !
I’ve seen so many people spun-out, bent-up vehicles and buried trying to drive hours in a storm for 1st tracks. Take it easy, and THINK ABOUT EVERYBODY ELSE, NOT YOUR SELFISH ASS, that’s what I do everyday, I’m a professional driver, but Not King

crank

Heading up Saturday morning. Most likely ski Stratton because it's Ikon and it's closer. Then we are sleeping in Rutland and skiing Kton Sunday.

Newpylong

The snow isn't going anywhere. Don't put yourself or others at risk for skiing unless you're already up here. Let them clear the roads. If you hit the right spot it doesn't matter what tires you have. It's absolutely puking out right now and there's not a soul on the roads for good reason except us out there who are plowing.