• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

tahoe booked .... where should we ski

mriceyman

just booked tahoe with a couple of buddies for skiing march 1st-4th... we are staying on the south shore near heavenly so im sure we will ski there one day out of four. where else should we hit up... im know squaw will be another must go to for us so i guess im looking for the other two days on where to go.. Kirkwood? mt rose? id like to hear feedback on what you guys have to say. also would like a little help on finding some cheaper lift tix than on mtn. thanks alot.:spread:

thetrailboss

Staff member
In 2010 I did Homewood and Squaw. I can't find my TR's on here, but needless to say, these northern Tahoe areas were pretty fun. This season, unless something dramatically changes, would be good for Squaw because they have snow. Had it been last year I would have said no way. Squaw is HUGE and can take at least 2 or 3 days to get around. Homewood is just the opposite but has a kick ass location right on the lake. It is a locals place and dirt cheap. We got a Sunday day ticket by flashing our season passes from Sugarbush for $20 IIRC.

Locals I spoke with said, "meh", about Alpine Meadows. Now that it is part of Squaw it doesn't really matter if you're going to Squaw because you can go scope it out on the same ticket. Shuttle busses I hear are slow and there is a limited connection between the two through the White Wolf area.

And as to other advice it depends on what you want to ski. Squaw is probably going to be similar to Heavenly in that they both are large resorts. Kirkwood, right now, has some pretty good expert stuff and is more laid back.

kingslug

I didn't like Heavenly, found it boring..Squaw on the other hand was one big bad ass kicker, never hit Kirkwood but I would go there for sure.

Smellytele

Never skied the south side. I hit up Squaw - speaks for itself, Alpine Meadows (which had some nice bowls), Mt. Rose - loved the chutes, I also went to Sugarbowl on a Sierra cement day so can't grade it well. If I was in the south I would have hit Kirkwood.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
What do you like to ski? I'd call Tahoe Dave's and ask them. These guys are sick skiers but they also give great advice on where to ski, what to ski and what equipment to use, regardless of their level. Plus rental prices were not bad at all. I did AM and Squaw last time I was there. Squaw was definitely a challenge. AM was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed both. I'm heading back there in February. I am planning on hitting Heavenly.

Check with your hotel for ticket deals. they usually have tix for about $15 bucks off window.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I've never been, but I was thisclose to going for Christmas a few years ago, so I've done a lot of research. If you're staying on the South Shore, I'd probably hit up Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Sierra-at-Tahoe, with a day trip to Squaw.

mriceyman

thanks for the responses... personally i love hitting the trees, steeps and i cant wait to ski the bowls.. i heard our hotel is a block from heavenlys gondi. ill def check out tahoe daves and look up sierra at tahoe.. ill pm snoseek to see what he can tell me for inside info.. one in the group was suggesting northstar but since i havent heard it mentioned yet ill take it as not a top priority to ski in tahoe. i really want to check out mt rose and hit the chutes.. ill update my progress.. i just cant wait to get out there. hopefully conditions cooperate like they did at gore last week.

Guyot

Kirkwood. If you don't have a car out there, there's a bus that will take you to the mountain from South Lake Tahoe for the day. It was five or ten dollars in 2009, I'm not sure what it is now. If you ski Heavenly, check out Mott and Killibrew canyons on the Nevada side.

MidnightJester

I would def hit up Sierra-at-Tohoe.. Has some amazing tree's and some sick hidden caves in the middle of the trees. Wish I could tell you how to get to them only been in them once. or one of them once. Did Sierra, Kirkwood and 8 days at heavenly when I was there 2 years ago with record snow year. Number 1 or two for most snowfall all three were great..

Edd

I've never been, but I was thisclose to going for Christmas a few years ago, so I've done a lot of research. If you're staying on the South Shore, I'd probably hit up Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Sierra-at-Tahoe, with a day trip to Squaw.

I hit these 4 exactly on one trip. Had pow days at Sierra and Heavenly. Those two places have particularly good trees.

Also hit Northstar and Alpine Meadows on another trip. AM does not suck. I recommend it.

For the full-on WOW factor, Squaw and Kirkwood are the places to go in my book. Heavenly was easily the most difficult for us to navigate.

snoseek

I can show you stuff on heavenly that 99 percent of the people will never ski and it yields the very last untracked in the basin, there is also gates that you can get to some freaky good stuff. Heavenly is 4800 acres with several thousand more in sidecountry, there's under 100 trails on the map. That leaves a tremendous amount of acerage of dead space. Find that area and you're golden, ski the groomers and the place sucks big time as they are busy as hell.

Kirkwood is awesome, like a smaller Squaw without the people. There is some steep stuff along with some chill stuff. Eveything there is more obvious and you can go as far as your ability can take you. Highly recomended.

Northstar is good if we're in a funky snow cycle and you want to ski groomers with fast lifts or its dumping and the winds effects lifts.

mriceyman

I found the Kirkwood shuttle thats runs on mondays for 15$ round trip which is perfect. Is there any shuttle to squaw or isthat a taxi ride fron the south shore?

snoseek

There's no shuttle to my knowledge and that would be one very expensive taxi ride...