• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tastefully Simple

Trekchick

Whole animal?

If you don't mind me asking, how much per pound?

Did you break it down yourself or bring it to a butcher?
I sent it to Swickes Custom Butchering.

Here is the break down:
Total weight on the hoof 1350 lb @1.10/lb $1485.00
Total after processing 820 lb

Processing fees(including kill) $338.20
Cost $1823.20/820 lb = 2.22/lb in my freezer!

Dat's sum dern good eatin! Fer cheap!!!

Here is a pic of the Steer
They always take a pic of the buyer, 4H kid and the steer, but this one wouldn't stand still. Mr TC, however posed nicely :)
n830505017_3239752_4937.jpg

I sent it to Swickes Custom Butchering.

Here is the break down:
Total weight on the hoof 1350 lb @1.10/lb $1485.00
Total after processing 820 lb

Processing fees(including kill) $338.20
Cost $1823.20/820 lb = 2.22/lb in my freezer!

Dat's sum dern good eatin! Fer cheap!!!

Here is a pic of the Steer
They always take a pic of the buyer, 4H kid and the steer, but this one wouldn't stand still. Mr TC, however posed nicely :)
n830505017_3239752_4937.jpg

Wow..you must have a huge freezer..

Trekchick

GSS I have two freezers. One I use to put up fruits, veggies, nuts and store purchases, like cheese cake, ice cream and such. The other for meats.

I will, however, admit that I usually split a beef like this with a couple other families. This one was split three ways. 1/3 of a beef like this will get us through a year, and I never buy meat in the grocery store.

Trekchick

I can shill for you
I ate too much at this party, sampling all the great stuff!!!

Here's what I got:
Almond Poundcake
Cinnamon Muffin Melt Mix
Bayou Burbon Glaze
Chocolate Poundcake
creamy Carmel sauce
Creamy Wild Rice Soup Mix
Italian Marinara sauce
Gingersnappy Bread and Frosting mix
Go Go Asiagio Dip Mix
Hot Fudge Sauce
Merlot Sauce
Perfect Parmesean biscuit mix
Potato Cheddar Soup Mix
Pine nut & Basil Pesto mix
Pomegranate Chipolte sauce
Wheat Bear Bread mix
Spicy Cucumber dip mix

I'm stocked!

If anyone wants to know why I stocked up with this stuff I'll be happy to tell you. There was only one thing I tasted tonight that I wasn't excited about but that was just my personal taste.

Mmmmmm!
Carrie, speaking of Fresh Beef.
Tell me if you have a suggestion of how to use some of my products(bold face) on our beef.

deadheadskier

Staff member
GSS I have two freezers. One I use to put up fruits, veggies, nuts and store purchases, like cheese cake, ice cream and such. The other for meats.

I will, however, admit that I usually split a beef like this with a couple other families. This one was split three ways. 1/3 of a beef like this will get us through a year, and I never buy meat in the grocery store.

That's awesome and really the way it should be. The whole animal gets used, there's very little disconnect between the families and the farmer who raised it.

WAY JEALOUS over here. I'd love to be in a situation (have storage) to purchase my food like that.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Carrie, speaking of Fresh Beef.
Tell me if you have a suggestion of how to use some of my products(bold face) on our beef.
And just like that, you bring it all around again. ;)

Bayou Bourbon Glaze I figured to be more of a pork product. But for all of these, there are actually suggestions and recipes on the website (I can send you mine, if you'd like ;)). Pulled pork is one of the suggestions. I have a bottle of this and I'm planning on using it with a pork roast I have in the freezer. Recipes on the site include a slow cooker roast, Apple Bourbon Pork Chops, Baby Back Ribs, and burgers (among others).

Merlot Sauce... very versatile. Throw it in with your beef stew, drizzle over burgers, saute mushrooms in it and serve over steak, add to meatloaf mix, pour over pot roast... Recipes on the site include chili, meatloaf, filet mignon, london broil, Merlot venison, and Roast Beef Quiche (among others).

Pomegranate Chipotle Sauce is another one I use on pork. I've used it like a marinade on boneless pork chops before grilling or sauteing. Surprisingly, it's also really good poured over cream cheese and served with crackers. :D On the website, there are recipes for Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin, Pomegranate Chipotle Meatloaf (I've done this before), and Pomegranate Chipotle Pot Roast (among others).

I'm a simple gal, I don't get into complicated recipes. ;) But I do love the sauces and seasonings.

Swamp Dog

Chickens only lay for about two years, and then they're not cost effective any more. That's probably why the crazy chicken lady wanted you to off her chicken, it wasn't producing enough eggs to offset the cost of feed it was consuming.

that must be it. She did say that it was 2 years old. Has a bad leg too, but I didn't think that was a reason to kill it. I wonder why she just doesn't do it herself, and have a nice roasted chicken. Surely she's done it before!

So how much upkeep is there with 5 or 6 chickens? Chicken Lady keeps them in what looks like a run down cottage, with no door on it. Not a typical chicken coop.

Trekchick

That's awesome and really the way it should be. The whole animal gets used, there's very little disconnect between the families and the farmer who raised it.

WAY JEALOUS over here. I'd love to be in a situation (have storage) to purchase my food like that.
I know I'm fortunate, but its really cost effective too. The quality of the beef is tops. The ground beef is so low in fat content, I have to add a few tbs of water to it to get it to start steam to cook when I'm browning for stuff like chili or sloppy joes. Yum!
I wish I could give you a sample over the internet ;)
But, I guess I'll have to keep it to myself.

Trekchick

And just like that, you bring it all around again. ;)

Bayou Bourbon Glaze I figured to be more of a pork product. But for all of these, there are actually suggestions and recipes on the website (I can send you mine, if you'd like ;)). Pulled pork is one of the suggestions. I have a bottle of this and I'm planning on using it with a pork roast I have in the freezer. Recipes on the site include a slow cooker roast, Apple Bourbon Pork Chops, Baby Back Ribs, and burgers (among others).

Merlot Sauce... very versatile. Throw it in with your beef stew, drizzle over burgers, saute mushrooms in it and serve over steak, add to meatloaf mix, pour over pot roast... Recipes on the site include chili, meatloaf, filet mignon, london broil, Merlot venison, and Roast Beef Quiche (among others).

Pomegranate Chipotle Sauce is another one I use on pork. I've used it like a marinade on boneless pork chops before grilling or sauteing. Surprisingly, it's also really good poured over cream cheese and served with crackers. :D On the website, there are recipes for Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin, Pomegranate Chipotle Meatloaf (I've done this before), and Pomegranate Chipotle Pot Roast (among others).

I'm a simple gal, I don't get into complicated recipes. ;) But I do love the sauces and seasonings.
I don't eat pork, but I'm going to try these on beef and turkey. That is another thing I get at the market sales. Turkeys and chickens. Often I have some smoked, which would probably be great with the burbon glaze.

I'll report back on how it comes out!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know I'm fortunate, but its really cost effective too. The quality of the beef is tops. The ground beef is so low in fat content, I have to add a few tbs of water to it to get it to start steam to cook when I'm browning for stuff like chili or sloppy joes. Yum!
I wish I could give you a sample over the internet ;)
But, I guess I'll have to keep it to myself.

Not surprised by the low fat content in the ground beef. I've started grinding my own at home and it's the first thing I notice, with both beef and pork. Makes me real skeptical about what most stores put in their blend.

Trekchick

Not surprised by the low fat content in the ground beef. I've started grinding my own at home and it's the first thing I notice, with both beef and pork. Makes me real skeptical about what most stores put in their blend.
I actually have a relative who was a grocery store butcher. He said the added fat, or at the very least didn't trim fat while grinding meat. The customer pays for useless weight.
I agree that nice marbling and a little fat add to the flavor, especially on the grill, but the excessive amount that comes from the grocer is nuts.

Also, I'll add a true story regarding flavor:
A girlfriend split a beef with us one time. She called me complaining that the beef tasted unusually strong. Having had some the night before I shrugged my shoulders and said it tasted fine to me.
Later, I was at someones house for a cook out. They had grocery store steaks. I immediately knew what my GF was talking about. She was accustomed to meat with no flavor to speak of, so when she had beef that tasted like BEEF, she thought it was odd.
Yum!

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't eat pork, but I'm going to try these on beef and turkey. That is another thing I get at the market sales. Turkeys and chickens. Often I have some smoked, which would probably be great with the burbon glaze.

I'll report back on how it comes out!
Should be awesome on poultry! :D

A girlfriend split a beef with us one time. She called me complaining that the beef tasted unusually strong. Having had some the night before I shrugged my shoulders and said it tasted fine to me.
Later, I was at someones house for a cook out. They had grocery store steaks. I immediately knew what my GF was talking about. She was accustomed to meat with no flavor to speak of, so when she had beef that tasted like BEEF, she thought it was odd.
Yum!
I was able to get in on some grass-fed ground beef one time, directly from the farm. Only 9 lbs, but better than nothing (the only freezer I have is above my fridge; small apartment). And I do remember the flavor being much stronger than what I'm used to from the grocery store, almost game-y in comparison (like when I've had venison, which we now have a regular source for that. for FREE... if Brian would eat it ;)). It takes some getting used to if that's not what you've been raised on.

Then again, raw milk is the same. Except it's so much better tasting it doesn't take getting used to; you just don't want to go back! :D I miss it... I hate commercial homogenized/pasteurized milk.

Beetlenut

that must be it. She did say that it was 2 years old. Has a bad leg too, but I didn't think that was a reason to kill it. I wonder why she just doesn't do it herself, and have a nice roasted chicken. Surely she's done it before!

So how much upkeep is there with 5 or 6 chickens? Chicken Lady keeps them in what looks like a run down cottage, with no door on it. Not a typical chicken coop.

Once you get the set-up, a coop, waterer and feeders, and a fenced outdoor area for them, the only on going cost is the feed and possibly any vet bills for shots to prevent a host of avian viruses. Then after they stop laying, you have to dispose of them and get some new stock. With small kids, we didn't want to bother with all that, easier just to go see the egg lady once a week. If you google chicken coops, there are lots of sites that give the rundown on what you'll need.

Beetlenut

Yum!

We did that once too. We bought a half of steer that was grass fed. Best steaks I've had. The kind of steak you want to eat rare to med-rare for the flavor!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Once you get the set-up, a coop, waterer and feeders, and a fenced outdoor area for them, the only on going cost is the feed and possibly any vet bills for shots to prevent a host of avian viruses. Then after they stop laying, you have to dispose of them and get some new stock. With small kids, we didn't want to bother with all that, easier just to go see the egg lady once a week. If you google chicken coops, there are lots of sites that give the rundown on what you'll need.

Did you look into dual purpose birds like a Rhode Island Red Chicken? Keep them for eggs for a couple years then roast em up :grin:

Beetlenut

Did you look into dual purpose birds like a Rhode Island Red Chicken? Keep them for eggs for a couple years then roast em up :grin:

Well, like I said, with little kids getting attached to the bird, it would be kind of hard to then feed their pet to them! That's why we didn't even bother.

Trekchick

We did that once too. We bought a half of steer that was grass fed. Best steaks I've had. The kind of steak you want to eat rare to med-rare for the flavor!

I will marinade roasts and round steaks, but most all the other steaks are grilled med and eaten naked. Mmmmmm!
Most of them can be cut with a fork.

Trekchick

Well, like I said, with little kids getting attached to the bird, it would be kind of hard to then feed their pet to them! That's why we didn't even bother.
You'd be surprised. The 4H kids raise their animals and eagerly hand them over, knowing what is going to happen. Your kids would be no different.
One kid we bought a beef from gave us a thank you basket with steak sauce and marinade in it.
They know! ;)