• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain Dusk Patrol: 03/26/08

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Leaving work yesterday was a breathe of fresh air. Much as I love the winter, it always feels nice leaving work and not needing a jacket on a bright and sunny day. The thought occurred to me that I should have left work sooner and I should have been driving west instead of east, my normal route home. By the time I got home and realized how much more time I had before sunset, it was a total no brainer. I grabbed my door and made the call telling S that I would be home late for dinner. There were turns to be made.

Tenney certainly didn't close recently for lack of snow. The base area had a very deep base still as did the trails. Visibility was phenomenal and as I approached and ascended the upper mountain trails, the views were sensational, especially views of the Franconia Ridge and other nearby higher peaks. The sun set just as I crested the flat ridge leading towards the top of the Hornet Double and I saw the sun go down behind the mountain. Just as I began my ski down, an awesome alpenglow hit the Franconia Ridge. 1400 verts up and down in an 1:15. Got some work to do these next few weeks after work to get in better shape for skiing into May, June, and July.

Base depths are impressive. With better corn snow, woods are still easily skiable. Conditions were less than optimal due to my late start but should be excellent when temps warm up a tad more later in the day and corn is available until dinner time.

Full Report

Last edited:

roark

Looks like a nice workout. Snow looks like it should last awhile as well.

As if I didn't have enough trouble keeping up with you on the ascent already!!!

TheBEast

Killer. I figured Jay would be packed to the gills without the Flyer or Tram running and huge powder from Thursday.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, at least I know even if the skiing sucks next season at Tenney, the views will be nice. I've only been there once for a race in high school, next year it will be my quasi home mountain.

hoping for the same amount of :snow: next season there

awf170

1400 verts up and down in an 1:15. Got some work to do these next few weeks after work to get in better shape for skiing into May, June, and July.

Yeah, you better! I got up Tenney in 40 minutes today, though I did feel like I was going to die once I got there. Being at MRG today isn't helping, you know? :razz: (I should have been there if my friend didn't over sleep)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You were at Tenney today? Why the heck weren't you at Cannon a short drive up the road? Insanely good today due to 10". Top 10 for the season without a doubt. Just sensational snow and untracked trees late into the day.

awf170

You were at Tenney today? Why the heck weren't you at Cannon a short drive up the road? Insanely good today due to 10". Top 10 for the season without a doubt. Just sensational snow and untracked trees late into the day.

Because I didn't check their snow report before I left. :dunce: Seriously, I just thought it would be dust on crust. To taunt me even more, I was looking for you phone number all around my car and cell phone to call you to see if Tenney was still open. If I actually found your number, then I would have ended up at Cannon. Grr...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Suck, sorry man. PM me if you can't find my number at home, but it sounds like you just didn't have it on the road. Usually when I head to Jay, I leave too early for snow condition reports online to post but had the luxury of waiting today. I had been thinking dust on crust too, but the radar last night was active across the Whites and we had off and on flurries here in Ashland which is usually a good sign. I recently programmed all of the snow phone numbers of areas I visit into my cell phone in case I have to make a last minute call on the road.