• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain

doublediamond

HDPE is the new standard for golf course irrigation. I was making a comment that the pump house is being reworked by a golf irrigation firm. A lot different working on a ”low” pressure system with PVC or HDPE vs hundreds of PSI on a ski area with steel.

IceEidolon

I see examples of flange bolted metal piping on their "about us". Likewise the golf course irrigation hybrid setup I toured was a three pump automated VFD pump room on a skid, with conventional steel pipe.

It's certainly possible for them to get things wrong, but "provide XYZ psi process water across the entire pump room flow range using VFD control" is not that difficult of an assignment for a company that builds pump stations. I'm more concerned about stuff like intake filters, drains, etc that are for edge cases - not the basic ability to set up a pump for a given pressure, or knowing to spec pipe rated for the pump output pressure.

My previous pump experience was all in-house fabbed and the upgraded control systems were TA, and I'm now working with a local irrigation company and Torrent.

Newpylong

High pressure 12-stage vertical turbines running at 3600 RPM outputting at 900 PSI is a whole different ballgame than a golf course no matter how you slice it. The designers there don't need to know anything about gravity losses or a pump curve when you're essentially sending water horizontally at what would be considered transfer pump pressure in ski area lingo. But luckily these guys aren't designing anything, they are just installing all the hodge podge shit Tenney bought from Trask that HKD did the design for.

I would be more concerned about it being done in time more than anything. Pump house is gutted and nothing else has started in there yet.

doublediamond

The golf course I work at is getting a new pump house (1600 gpm) and the contractor has a week to gut and install. I don't think time is an issue.

Hawk

I have worked with Lake HVAC in the Boston Area in the Past. Considering they have installed some very large steel piping systems for Chiller plants, Cooling towers, pumping stations with tight schedules and really challenging condtions. What makes you think that a snowmaking system would be an issue for them?