• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thanksgiving redemption for CT ski areas?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Not my favorite weather source, but this was all I could find for that time period (this is for New Hartford, CT, BTW):

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ct/ne...rtner=netweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&metric=0

(Hopefully you're seeing what I'm seeing...)

Wednesday Night, Nov 25
Low: 24 °F RealFeel®: 9 °F
Mostly cloudy

Thursday, Nov 26
High: 37 °F RealFeel®: 26 °F
Intervals of clouds and sunshine

Thursday Night, Nov 26
Low: 19 °F RealFeel®: 16 °F
Partly cloudy

Friday, Nov 27
High: 33 °F RealFeel®: 25 °F
Cold with intervals of clouds and sunshine

Friday Night, Nov 27
Low: 17 °F RealFeel®: -11 °F
Considerable cloudiness, windy and cold

Saturday, Nov 28
High: 32 °F RealFeel®: 14 °F
Windy and cold with plenty of clouds

Saturday Night, Nov 28
Low: 16 °F RealFeel®: 2 °F
Partly cloudy and cold

Sunday, Nov 29
High: 31 °F RealFeel®: 21 °F
Partly sunny and cold

Sunday Night, Nov 29
Low: 16 °F RealFeel®: 6 °F
Partly cloudy and cold
I am fully willing to sacrifice my 5K race on Nov 28th to Ullr if it means the chance of skiing that weekend!!!!!

Greg

Staff member
The end of the 15 day still looks great. Wish we could believe it...

wa-loaf

The end of the 15 day still looks great. Wish we could believe it...

It's looked that way for the last month. I think they just throw some cold weather out there cause they figure it'll get cold eventually.

polski

Website
twitter.com
It's quite the life. What other job can you be wrong 50% of the time and not get fired for it? :blink:
I honestly think meteorologists get a bum rap. We all know calls more than a few days out are largely a crap shoot, especially for something as dependent on details as skiing. Even shorter term, there are so many variables that can bust a forecast -- sometimes to our advantage (e.g. the expected trace snowfall that turns into 5-6").

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Totally. No one ever makes a big deal when they are right... especially on those 85 degrees and sunny days.
What I said was purely in jest--I realize their job is not as easy as it seems and it sucks to be the brunt of ill will (I used to work in an Assessor's Office...yeah, I get what it's like to have people think you do nothing and not like what you have to say).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
BTW, checked again:

Wednesday Night, Nov 25
Low: 31 °F RealFeel®: 19 °F
Rain, watch for ice late

Thursday, Nov 26
High: 43 °F RealFeel®: 32 °F
Still cloudy with a stray flurry in the afternoon

Thursday Night, Nov 26
Low: 23 °F RealFeel®: 10 °F
Mostly cloudy

Friday, Nov 27
High: 37 °F RealFeel®: 27 °F
Intervals of clouds and sunshine

Friday Night, Nov 27
Low: 21 °F RealFeel®: 7 °F
Mainly cloudy

Saturday, Nov 28
High: 34 °F RealFeel®: 22 °F
Plenty of clouds with a passing flurry in the afternoon

Saturday Night, Nov 28
Low: 20 °F RealFeel®: 11 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Nov 29
High: 34 °F RealFeel®: 24 °F
Cold with periods of snow

Sunday Night, Nov 29
Low: 22 °F RealFeel®: 4 °F
Periods of sleet and freezing rain

Monday, Nov 30
High: 35 °F RealFeel®: 25 °F
Mostly cloudy
Slightly improved from yesterday, though I don't like the rain predicted for the Wed before Thanksgiving...

polski

Website
twitter.com
I may be a little overly sensitive to the feelings of workers in hated professions, given that I've been in a couple myself. I also imagine NWS meteorologists must have a fair amount of stress, given that their forecasts can affect businesses and sometimes even be a matter of life or death.

Anyway, to the extent that long-term forecast can be trusted (i.e. pretty much none whatsoever), not looking good heading into Black Friday even well to the north of CT. But the rest of that weekend shows possible promise ... if that doesn't pan out it'll be a little odd if I end up having skied in October but not November, but what can you do.

Greg

Staff member
Slightly improved from yesterday, though I don't like the rain predicted for the Wed before Thanksgiving...

Yep. And be careful driving that night and "watch for ice late"... :lol: I love how Accuweather has these little forecast tidbits 8 days out....

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yep. And be careful driving that night and "watch for ice late"... :lol: I love how Accuweather has these little forecast tidbits 8 days out....

Hey, I didn't say it was perfect. :lol: But it's something to focus on that's showing a *hopefully* colder trend coming up soon. Can't believe Thanksgiving is next week already!

Greg

Staff member
Still looks better starting around Thanksgiving. We'll have to see if the NWS picks up on this in the next few days. I wouldn't count out an opening in November quite yet.

wa-loaf

This was posted on that other board (that is not to be named LOL). Sounds pretty good to me:

Virtually every indice (teleconnection) is coming on board for a period of weather that might be remembered for some time!! The models are stilling trying to figure out the particulars but eventually they'll come around to some kind of agreement (concensus). The ensambles have already latched on to the fact that we're going to see a period of BN (below normal) temps along with AN (above normal) precip ( if it all works out).

drjeff

The only potential plus to that is as we all know that day is one of (if not the) busiest travel days and as much warning as possible may cause some folks to think now about leaving earlier/later when they can actually plan for it. The other 364 days a year, I'd say that a tid bit like that, 8 days out would be a complete BS thing

4aprice

This was posted on that other board (that is not to be named LOL). Sounds pretty good to me:

Its actually from a well respected met who goes by the name Typhoon Tip on Easternuswx.com. If he's right very promising. Most models pointing to a good early Dec. Black Friday may be doubtful but a week after things should get rolling.

I'd trade a Black Friday for a better back end of the season anyday.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ