• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thaw

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thinking about you guys and the mountains I still love. Thursday/Friday looks like one of the worst mid-winter thaws I can remember in recent times. The forecast for Killington calls for .75-1" of rain. Winds at the summit reaching 65-90mph depending what source you look at. Temperatures in the low 50s/upper 40s, even up high. Beyond terms of skiing, it's a recipe for flooding, power outages, etc.

djd66

I have access to multiple weather forecasts, but thanks for pointing this out in a special thread.

Mainer

Hot winds are going to destroy the snowpack. At least it gets cold again quick before getting warm again next week. A real kick in the balls for the snowmobile rental and xcountry places before their most profitable week of the season. Ski areas will be fine because anybody naive enough to ski presidents weekend will still go regardless.

Hawk

This happens every year and usually aound Christmas. I think you memory is pretty short. I have been eyeing this for about 2 weeks but it nice to know someone is thinking of these things. LOL

Hawk

Oh and I here there is a drought out West of epic proportion and skiing sucks in some places. Just and FYI HA!

gladerider

This happens every year and usually aound Christmas. I think you memory is pretty short. I have been eyeing this for about 2 weeks but it nice to know someone is thinking of these things. LOL

i think the last couple of years Prez weekend weren't too bad but i do recall some prez weekend thaw recently.
and the MLK thaw as well.

MidnightJester

Best to make of the storm is that a new base level will be built. Whatever base level left that is :( On the positive side 7 to 10 days out looks better I guess.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I can remember one thaw maybe 5-6 years ago right before or during President's week that took Vermont's snowpack to zero. But that was VERY long duration and more warm temps and sun than a rapid meltdown. I can't remember one that bad since.

I remember skiing at Killington in April 2018 (maybe 2019) that was a similar setup as this. A ton of rain. A ton of wind. 36 hours+ of temperatures wayyy above freezing. It eroded the shoulder of Route 4 and caused a bunch of small-scale flooding. That's more what I'm worried about with this storm. Noaa has a flood watch for most of Vermont and mentions ice dams being an issue.

Pez

Another garbage east coast season.

when was the last good one? 2018?

pinion

Another garbage east coast season.

when was the last good one? 2018?

2018/2019 was awesome.

2019/2020 started fast, then mellowed out in Dec, but snow picked up and never stopped through March, though it was mostly inaccessible due to COVID shutdowns. Last 2 seasons have been tough for sure.

I miss ski seasons starting Thanksgiving weekend :(

tumbler

There was the week of 80's during President's week maybe in 2014? That wiped everything out.

Kingslug20

While this season hasnt been great..it hasnt been terrible either.
6 storms and good skiing up until this week.