• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thaw

drjeff

I give props to u if you are skiing this weekend and you know what it will be like. At what point in a skiers life cycle does a person start going based upon conditions and lack of crowds. If it looks like shitty conditions and crowded, I’m out. But when I was a kid or young adult, I would go no matter what. But I can go whenever I want the last twenty years or so. My brother is a weekend warrior and this is the first year I’ve seen him say fuck that it’s going to suck.

Honestly been doing the "I am going to ski every day my schedule dictates and the mountain is open, conditions and weather be damned" thing for 15+yrs now.... Fully admit to being a ski addict and having a family with the same basic mentality... family motto is "if the mountain is open, we're skiing"

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I give props to u if you are skiing this weekend and you know what it will be like. At what point in a skiers life cycle does a person start going based upon conditions and lack of crowds. If it looks like shitty conditions and crowded, I’m out. But when I was a kid or young adult, I would go no matter what. But I can go whenever I want the last twenty years or so. My brother is a weekend warrior and this is the first year I’ve seen him say fuck that it’s going to suck.
Well I've changed my mind on this . Getting old sucks but cherry picking conditions has bit me in the ass over the last couple years . When things finally get good I'm not in good enough shape to enjoy the whole day so my philosophy is ski the crappy conditions early season and enough to stay in shape for the good stuff.

This year I've gone out a bunch of times expecting to be skiing crap only to be surprised that it was better than I expected.
I went out in freezing drizzle/ rain last week and it actually was ok .

Kingslug20

Snow making team...6 guys. Rode the lift with one of them...its tough on them with so few.

Terry

I've got a major project to do on my truck so I picked this weekend to do it. I knew the weather looked bad and also pres weekend crowding so good timing for me.

Newpylong

Yep - already assuming my daughter’s after school program will be cancelled next week…

They just never seemed to get it going this year. Like most years, unfortunately…

Poor whaleback. GREAT little mountain if there’s snow and the lift is running… both of which seem to be increasingly uncommon…

They actually made snow up top and in the learning area, call me impressed.

Teleskier

Snow making team...6 guys. Rode the lift with one of them...its tough on them with so few.
Did he happen to say how many grooming team members are left? I've been hearing mixed things all season - from they let half the normal team go, to "no, that's just a rumor, the full team is here."

Meanwhile trying to decide if it's worth getting there for the delayed 8:30 grooming start. Wasn't going too, slept in, but now re-thinking...

skiur

I don't ski presidents weekend regardless of the snow conditions. The crowds on the mountain are one reason but an even bigger reason is the crowds on the roads. Not interested in driving thru that traffic.

Reactions: Edd

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Actually thinking conditions may be better at warmer places this weekend. Like I'm gonna hit Roundtop near Harrisburg on Monday - where it will be 32 at 8am, 38 at 9am and getting up to mid 50s. Should be a beautiful day of February spring skiing with lots of soft bumps forming on Ramrod and Gunbarrel.

With rain forecast there for Tues, Wed and Friday their season may not make it to March, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

Mainer

I’ve skied in the rain a bunch this year. I’m not talking about only skiing nice days. I’m talking about not skiing days that will be utter shit shows. Like today, boilerplate with crazy crowds. When my friend forced my family to go on a Saturday at attitash, took that left off the yankee. I have never seen so many yard sales. Person after person falling on the icy pitch. It’s so scary especially with kids. Thankfully the ungroomed stuff was open and nobody was skiing it that day. I remember a crowded day at bretton woods a couple years, my 3 yr old skiing down. Some out of control gaper almost wacks her going a million miles an hour, while yelling get out of the way. I probably would have punched him if he stopped. I guess I’m getting old but I can’t deal with that shit anymore.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Actually may do Whitetail on Monday - similar conditions there and more vertical.

I won't really ski in the rain unless caught in it while skiing. I was skiing at Jack Frost Thursday morning and it started drizzling on run 9, the raining on run 10, and it was forecast to get a lot worse.so I was done.

Kingslug20

So...im reading all these reports of several inches and ok conditions...
I tried.. :)

PAabe

lol ski2live already got this run down on PASR... I went to blue knob fully expecting 3 ways down of solid ice and wind but I didn't have anything better to do. Well it was windier than I expected, got there and the lift was shut down - snow squall warning they say, can't run the lift, nordic trails not open today - well crap I drove all the way out here, it's windy now but is it really *that* windy... suddenly the 65mph whiteout squall hit, and you really could not see it coming. You couldn't see 5 ft. in front of you. Craziest snow storm I have ever been in but it only lasted a few minutes - repoened with the triple with fairly sunny but windy day and with far more trails open than indicated by the snow report with an inch of fresh snow, although still quite icy on many trails and they couldn't run the rickety old double from the bottom due to wind concerns. They were blowing snow all day and still are. Lift shut down again after a few hours as the wind picked up.

Well anyway pretty entertaining day even if it wasn't the best snow conditions of the year. I'm glad I went. No lines, no traffic, and "fresh tracks" in the dust all day.

Kingslug20

If you want to see what a thaw could look like..come to Sun valley. Half the place is bare rocks...whats left are very long groomers and very firm mogul runs. They havent gotten any snow...since xmas. Some is due tomorrow though....
Kingslug effect...20220220_102305.jpg20220220_102303.jpg20220220_103109.jpg20220220_115839.jpg

machski

NYDB

Any K regulars here - what do you think the conditions will be like wednesday there after the rain?

It's supposed to stay way above freezing after the deluge tuesday night and looks to be done raining by 9am wed. the refreeze doesn't happen until later wed night.

Does K usually keep stuff open or will they close for 'snow preservation' or whatever? I actually love riding in the slush.

I expect Magic will be in really rough shape by then and I can't stomach Stratton again this year unless I have to.