• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

So my Deer Valley mix, as expected, was mixed....
I was constantly seeing rude, entitled, and dumb "new money" being flaunted. That always was at Park City Mountain Resort and not at DV.
I see this bad behavior as a pattern now at both IKON and Epic mountains. Folks don't have as much invested in a mountain with the megapasses. They are there for a few days and gone.
Folks that get a pass for their home mountain and ski there regularly have more invested in the mountain. They behave because they know they are regulars and are known.

machski

I'll be in aspen 23rd to 30th
Slug, be sure to ski Highlands and make the hike up Highland Bowl a couple of times at least. They have Cat service from the top of the lifts to half way up to cut off a bit of the slog. Everyone drops the center of the bowl, but be sure to ski far skier's right along the boundary. It tends to windload and you can find deep powder along that without much or any recent snowfall if winds are right. All of Temerity and Deep Temerity are awesome! At Snowmass, look for trees, some really nice stuff in there too. Wish I could tell you about Hero's, but when canceled our trip when wife got hurt in January.

4aprice

Going to check out 2 new things this trip. The afore mentioned Hero's on Ajax and the new Mahogany Ridge at Steamboat. Going to try to do some major photography this trip.

KustyTheKlown

Going to check out 2 new things this trip. The afore mentioned Hero's on Ajax and the new Mahogany Ridge at Steamboat. Going to try to do some major photography this trip.

i had a lot of fun skiing hero's. it really made aspen mountain more enjoyable. just a really solid pod of 1200 vertical steeps and woods and chutey stuff.

i still think the layout of ajax is annoying. you really need to do a lot of run out to the gondola to ski the lower 2/3 of the place.

Attachments

• IMG_7157.png
    IMG_7157.png
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7158.png
    IMG_7158.png
    3 MB · Views: 18

4aprice

i had a lot of fun skiing hero's. it really made aspen mountain more enjoyable. just a really solid pod of 1200 vertical steeps and woods and chutey stuff.

i still think the layout of ajax is annoying. you really need to do a lot of run out to the gondola to ski the lower 2/3 of the place.
I go back to the days when they used to run the Bell Mountain chair. Would love to see them run it again as it opens up all those middle mountain runs. Hard to lap Bell when you have to circle down to Little Nell then up to the Sundeck

thetrailboss

Staff member
So SAM Magazine had this article earlier this week “informing” ski areas of this interest in unionization. Alterra is a target. No update on Solitude.

1dog

Let’s tell everyone to go there! Our experience of 11 days at Little and Big plus SB was generally pleasant.

Mid week no or few lines- mid Feb and 1st week of March.

More East coast folks but still a lot of Europeans-every one of them - ‘ why would you chance Europe ( high mts w NE -like conditions) when you got a sure thing like these?’

35 years and everyone says same thing.

Still gotta get there to experience the Alps.

Gunsight and Baldy shoulder best hikes of the two weeks out there.

Lone Tree at SB was near perfect too. And no hiking to boot.

jaytrem

Alterra sucks! But anybody feel like sharing some Ikon friends/family discounts if you don't need them? Could use a few for Alyeska, thanks!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Let’s tell everyone to go there! Our experience of 11 days at Little and Big plus SB was generally pleasant.

Mid week no or few lines- mid Feb and 1st week of March.

More East coast folks but still a lot of Europeans-every one of them - ‘ why would you chance Europe ( high mts w NE -like conditions) when you got a sure thing like these?’

35 years and everyone says same thing.

Still gotta get there to experience the Alps.

Gunsight and Baldy shoulder best hikes of the two weeks out there.

Lone Tree at SB was near perfect too. And no hiking to boot.
I second Gunsight and Baldy hikes. Catherine’s is worth the very short hike. Devil’s Castle as well.

KustyTheKlown

a-basin parking is super limited tho and is the factor that keeps it manageable even on the busiest days

my guess is/was that they would build a parking structure in dillon and run their own shuttles