• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

zyk

I have no skin in the game but I think it's important to realize that typically one has to pick their poison:

-low key mountain without crowding but aging infrastructure
-busy mountain with the traffic to support a revenue stream for the owners to spend $

Vail is doing to many of its Eastern properties what Peak Resorts could not achieve due to Epic and economies of scale.

Hard to have it both ways, unless your lucky enough to call a mountain home that has been able to successfully navigate the uncertainties of operating a ski area while making capital improvements AND maintaining the experience ie the Ragged's, Pat's Peaks, etc. Not many have been able to do that.
I'd like to add Plattekill to the list. Also Royal. Tiny, only open on weekends (I think). Great family vibe. They also do motocross in the summer. And snowmobile drag races.

Regarding peak... My understanding is that they were in a bit of a legal mess, not related to skiing, that impacted their resources and ultimately lead to the sale.

jimmywilson69

IKON became a major issue here in 2018-2019 before COVID.
So it caused problems before it was even offered to the public? It appears its first winter would've been '19-'20.

From Wikipedia...

In late January 2018, Alterra announced the Ikon Pass, a season pass that provides unlimited or restricted access to all of their ski resorts in collaboration with Alta Ski Area, Arapahoe Basin,[6] Aspen/Snowmass, Boyne Resorts, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Powdr Corporation, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, SkiBig3, and Snowbird.[7]

thetrailboss

Staff member
So it caused problems before it was even offered to the public? It appears its first winter would've been '19-'20.

From Wikipedia...

In late January 2018, Alterra announced the Ikon Pass, a season pass that provides unlimited or restricted access to all of their ski resorts in collaboration with Alta Ski Area, Arapahoe Basin,[6] Aspen/Snowmass, Boyne Resorts, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Powdr Corporation, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, SkiBig3, and Snowbird.[7]
Reading comprehension is so overrated. Read your citation. IKON’s first season was 2018-2019.

jimmywilson69

Reading comprehension is so overrated. Read your citation. IKON’s first season was 2018-2019.
yeah not sure what I Was thinking.

So I'll ask the question this way. It literally caused problems from day 1? Or is that how people are remembering it now that we're 6 years from the announcement.

You live in SLC, so its possible it didn't become "internet fodder" until after COVID

thetrailboss

Staff member
yeah not sure what I Was thinking.

So I'll ask the question this way. It literally caused problems from day 1? Or is that how people are remembering it now that we're 6 years from the announcement.

You live in SLC, so its possible it didn't become "internet fodder" until after COVID
That season we had major crowding issues. I also have it on good authority that the total number of IKON passholders in the Salt Lake Valley outnumber what all four ski resorts used to have in passholders combined.

AdironRider

None for Wildcat, Sunapee, Crotched, and until this summer Hunter.

Can you name a single capital improvement at Wildcat under Peak or prior without googling? Their one high speed is ancient. The other lifts even more so.

Hawk

That season we had major crowding issues. I also have it on good authority that the total number of IKON passholders in the Salt Lake Valley outnumber what all four ski resorts used to have in passholders combined.
Here is the press release from Snowbird from 1/25/18. If your read this carefully it says that the IKON pass would be on sale in the spring. That would suggest that it would be for the 19/20 season. It just so happens I was there in 2018 twice skiing with my friends that live in sandy. Once for a week and once for a 4 day weekend. We had no issues with going up the canyon, parking or lift lines. I think you are mistaken on your timing.

Snowbird Press Release

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here is the press release from Snowbird from 1/25/18. If your read this carefully it says that the IKON pass would be on sale in the spring. That would suggest that it would be for the 19/20 season. It just so happens I was there in 2018 twice skiing with my friends that live in sandy. Once for a week and once for a 4 day weekend. We had no issues with going up the canyon, parking or lift lines. I think you are mistaken on your timing.

Snowbird Press Release
The 2018-2019 season was immediately after January 2018. That proves my point. Get a calendar because you’re making yourself look like a fool trying to disagree.

And this thread is about Alterra generally. I’ll check in with you next season when lifts break down at Sugarbush and snowmaking is slow while your pass money is being invested out west.

Last edited:

Hawk

Here is a snap of the announcement from Snowbird published on 1/25/2018. circled in red it says the Ikon will be availible in the spring. So to me Spring would be what April, May 2018? They closed on May 27th that year so the how much did it affect the crowds? Anybody else read it that way?

IKON Snowbird.jpg

Smellytele

Here is a snap of the announcement from Snowbird published on 1/25/2018. circled in red it says the Ikon will be availible in the spring. So to me Spring would be what April, May 2018? They closed on May 27th that year so the how much did it affect the crowds? Anybody else read it that way?

View attachment 61220
Okay you are proving his point that you’re an idiot. The 18/19 season didn’t start until the fall of 2018.

Great Bear

The idea that Killington wasn’t crowded before Ikon is pretty laughable. Like all that stuff on the access road just sat unused for ages previously.
Killington was never empty, but as someone else referenced, pre ikon there were never cars parked down to the Lookout and into the Mary Lous (formerly Outback) parking lot. The Saturday Ikon swarm is real.

Being a season pass holder at an Ikon partner resort that is not unlimited on Ikon is one of the worst deals on the planet. You get the Ikon crowd, but not the reciprocal benefit of being able to ski elsewhere.

Last edited:

drjeff

So you think that Vail is doing well at these resorts? You'd better not go on the VAIL SUCKS thread.
Objectively, Vail has spent way more $$ on infrastructure upgrades to their Northeast properties over say the last 5yrs than Peak did.

Now if you want to talk changes in day to day operations strategies, even disregarding the chaos Covid caused for 2-3 seasons, that is an entirely separate topic.

Those are definitely different things, and what I believe Newpylong was referring to