• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Dreaded "Closing" Thread: 2023-2024

MidnightJester

Baaaaaa Humbug
Long live the season with Winter and Spring conditions. Snow, Bumps and Slush with more SNOW storms to come.
Hang in there mountains!

Last edited:

RH29

CT:

- Southington closed for the season after last weekend
- Powder Ridge is opening Saturday for the "slush cup" and is done after that.
- Sundown had good coverage two weeks ago and claims that they will be open through the 24th. I doubt it.
- Mohawk closed two days ago, seems oddly early for them.

Another bad season.

RH29

MA:

- Catamount is down to half of what they had open originally, but is trying to make it to next weekend.
- Berkshire East open weekends only, trail count dipping a little
- Wachusett still open daily
- Butternut open this weekend with bare spots
- Bousquet open this weekend

MA got skunked this season aside from a couple weeks around late January. Most storms that hit northern New England were rain in MA, and a storm projected to drop over a foot across the state shifted south and mostly hit CT/RI.

Abominable

MA:

- Catamount is down to half of what they had open originally, but is trying to make it to next weekend.
- Berkshire East open weekends only, trail count dipping a little
- Wachusett still open daily
- Butternut open this weekend with bare spots
- Bousquet open this weekend

MA got skunked this season aside from a couple weeks around late January. Most storms that hit northern New England were rain in MA, and a storm projected to drop over a foot across the state shifted south and mostly hit CT/RI.

Catamount was pretty bare this weekend, but fun mashed potatoes skiing and I give them a lot of credit for having a pretty good "product" overall this season given the weather. Ripper and Catapult still open off the top with some decent moguls. According to everyone at the hill, they are going to blow snow this week if it gets cold enough (supposed to) and fill in some spots. Should be open next weekend, and they're hoping to get to Easter. I'm heading north for Easter week so my season at Catamount likely done. But it was a good one from a family fun skiing perspective (not a powder hound's one though).

jimk

Are they letting you drop off the cirque to the gad side if you stay above the top of wilbere on the traverse back?
Not sure, perhaps? Last year I believe I was able to ski out of little cloud bowl and go to tram base when Gadzoom stopped running. If not, you could ride up Little Cloud and ski into the Cirque and get to Peruvian and tram base, or go into Mineral, ride that chair up and go cirque or peruvian.

I was up there today and didn't think to ask a oatroller about spring lift ops. Crowds growing smaller each day now, walk-on tram rides today.
tram 19 march.jpg

Big crowd doing the hike up to Pipeline Chute above Little Cloud Bowl. That one is for my next lifetime, but my son does it. Note skier just below summit crowd. He's going to take off his skis and climb down rocks, then join the other skier in sunny area near top of chute.
pipeline crowd 19 mar.jpg

Despite lots of February snow, there are some boney places on the mtn. I used this entrance to get into Great Scott, went to right to avoid rocks. Snow was firm in there, but chalky.
rats nest 19 mar.jpg

Dickc

Pats Peak closed and could not run after the storm

Thank for Skiing/Riding with Us this Season!
What a fitting end to the cruelty of the ski season we simply know as 2023-2024. We endured record amounts of rain prior to and during all major holiday periods yet our crews persevered and delivered great ski conditions.
March…well March was just special (super warm) yet we survived that as well. It’s fitting that one of the few snowstorms would knock us out the game for good!
With Henniker and surrounding towns experiencing widespread power outages and no defined expected resumption of service from Eversource (no guarantee even tomorrow) we have elected to close for the season.
We want to thank all our guests and staff, despite Mother Nature’s tantrums, for a wonderful ski season and we’ll see you next season.
**Pre-purchased online orders for Sunday, March 24, 2024 will be refunded automatically.
Rental Returns:
Our Rental Shop will be open Tuesday-Friday from 9am-3pm for rental returns.

2Planker

How about an update on who is gonna be left after this coming 4/13-4/14 weekend ??