• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Fall of Winter begins.....

cdskier

Sugarbush still has a deep base on some of their key snowmaking trails. Stein's is deep for sure since that is their main spring trail. Other than that Downspout, Lower Downspout, Organgrinder, Spring Fling and a few others still seem pretty deep. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gate House/North Lynx areas don't make it to next weekend though unless they manage to push around a lot of snow. Not sure how Mt Ellen is holding up as I didn't go over there at all this weekend.

medfordmike

As you mentioned, Expressway under the lift was the "worst" open trial as far as width and on the lower mtn, Fools Gold had much better coverage.

For Sunday, they groomed out Sunset 71, 49er and Pike which actually all had reasonable coverage and skied pretty well today. Taking a look up KA, I'd guess they could have done the same.

Depending on the weather this week, I'd think they "could" make it longer, but at this point it just makes more financial sense to them to move everyone to Killington.

As mentioned, rough year at Pico, and rough year for all of New England.

Glad Sunday was better snow wise. I expected Pike could open if it warmed up enough for it to soften up a bit. I really like Pico and will likely be a pass holder there again. While it was a tough year for them they certainly did what they could, with what they had, when they could. I might have complaints about the weather this year but none about Pico's operations team. Killlington offering reciprocal privileges was a nice gesture by senior mgmt. as well. All the mountains I skied at no matter the trail count really fought the good fight this season too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat is a mixed bag. Some trails like Polecat and Cheetah are on their last days. Middle Catapult is already gone. Lynx is still buried though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Care to hazard a guess on closing date? Hoping they at least make it to 4/3

4aprice

PA is basically done. My last day was yesterday at Big Boulder. Conditions were decent but you could tell they'd be done after this weeks mild temps and rain.

PA not done yet. Cliffhanger still has a healthy base on it and there is still a "chance" that they may make snow on it if conditions warrent.
IMG_0872.jpg

Cliffhanger Saturday

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

WWF-VT

Sugarbush still has a deep base on some of their key snowmaking trails. Stein's is deep for sure since that is their main spring trail. Other than that Downspout, Lower Downspout, Organgrinder, Spring Fling and a few others still seem pretty deep. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gate House/North Lynx areas don't make it to next weekend though unless they manage to push around a lot of snow. Not sure how Mt Ellen is holding up as I didn't go over there at all this weekend.

I skied at Mt Ellen on Saturday and Lincoln Peak on Sunday and glad that I missed the Saturday mob scene at LP. Mt Ellen upper mountain as expected is in good shape but Crackerjack and Straight Shot which get you back to the GMX are getting thin. My guess is that Crackerjack is going to be the only way back to the GMX soon.

hammer

Care to hazard a guess on closing date? Hoping they at least make it to 4/3

Was at Wildcat on Saturday, base layer of ice was showing on a lot of the open trails but as mentioned Lynx had good cover. 3 April is a long way off given the current weather trends...my uneducated guess would be that they will be good for Easter weekend but April is a stretch.

cdskier

I skied at Mt Ellen on Saturday and Lincoln Peak on Sunday and glad that I missed the Saturday mob scene at LP. Mt Ellen upper mountain as expected is in good shape but Crackerjack and Straight Shot which get you back to the GMX are getting thin. My guess is that Crackerjack is going to be the only way back to the GMX soon.

LP was probably the most crowded I've seen it all season non-holiday. Lots of people. I think the longest line I waited in was only about 5 minutes or so though. Took a break around 11 for a beer at CRP when the lines were the worst.

WWF-VT

LP was probably the most crowded I've seen it all season non-holiday. Lots of people. I think the longest line I waited in was only about 5 minutes or so though. Took a break around 11 for a beer at CRP when the lines were the worst.

I think I waited for maybe two chairs at the most at Mt Ellen and had plenty of room on the trails. I heard that LP was getting scary from a few people that came to Mt Ellen on Saturday.

cdskier

I think I waited for maybe two chairs at the most at Mt Ellen and had plenty of room on the trails. I heard that LP was getting scary from a few people that came to Mt Ellen on Saturday.

This was about normal for the "busy" trails that I experienced...

12828278_1337771586248258_8069904651368568092_o.jpg

Domeskier

PA not done yet. Cliffhanger still has a healthy base on it and there is still a "chance" that they may make snow on it if conditions warrent.

Awesome. I was at Blue this weekend. The bumps on Razor's Edge were spectacular. They are pushing to open next weekend and are closed at least until Friday to preserve base. RE is holding up really well - the troughs were legit by the end of the weekend and I didn't see any grass or mud poking through. The run-out to the lift was holding up well too. Hopefully at least one of the two Pocono bump meccas will make it to another weekend.

elks

Mt Snow was in pretty decent shape on Saturday and some trails (e.g., Ridge) had a lot of corn snow leading to some nice bumps by midday. Even North Face was holding up pretty well. Sunday was about the same though a bit firmer and scratchier especially on North Face. All in all, pretty decent conditions. Much better than Crotched last weekend or Waterville the weekend before.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Awesome. I was at Blue this weekend. The bumps on Razor's Edge were spectacular. They are pushing to open next weekend and are closed at least until Friday to preserve base. RE is holding up really well - the troughs were legit by the end of the weekend and I didn't see any grass or mud poking through. The run-out to the lift was holding up well too. Hopefully at least one of the two Pocono bump meccas will make it to another weekend.

Went Saturday morning and Barneys was pretty much done , roots ,rocks . Razors wasn't bumped up early, still had cat tracks. I'm down to my touring skis but don't want to blow my heel off anyway. Sidewinder had the best conditions although the entrance at top was looked like 4'' base left. Things were pretty ugly early as it was cold Friday night , Sounds like things improved from your report. One more pass to burn hope they make it to the weekend.

Domeskier

Went Saturday morning and Barneys was pretty much done , roots ,rocks . Razors wasn't bumped up early, still had cat tracks. I'm down to my touring skis but don't want to blow my heel off anyway. Sidewinder had the best conditions although the entrance at top was looked like 4'' base left. Things were pretty ugly early as it was cold Friday night , Sounds like things improved from your report. One more pass to burn hope they make it to the weekend.

Yep - by early Saturday afternoon, Razors was in great shape. I made one run on Barney's around noon on Saturday to find that they had mowed down everything but the top section, which, as you noted, was full of mud and rocks. I think they knocked those down as well on Sunday, but I didn't bother to check because Razors was skiing so nicely.

cdskier

Belleayre is officially weekends only from here on out.

Bumps there were spectacular today; they kept the Overlook triple closed to make getting to Onteora and Yahoo more work. Bump lines were smooth and soft all day. Winisook and Tongora were both very nice too.

This comment really made me think about how Sugarbush doesn't have a ton of snow-making trails that they let bump up on a regular basis. Most of their normal bump runs are natural snow trails. Many years that isn't a problem, but in a year like this you end up with a lot less bump runs and makes me miss those runs you mentioned at Belleayre.

benski

This comment really made me think about how Sugarbush doesn't have a ton of snow-making trails that they let bump up on a regular basis. Most of their normal bump runs are natural snow trails. Many years that isn't a problem, but in a year like this you end up with a lot less bump runs and makes me miss those runs you mentioned at Belleayre.

I think they should add some bump runs when the conditions aren't good. Ripcord and lower organgrinder should both be pump runs when most of there other bump runs are closed.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member

I have learned this season that Belleayre does what I wish all mountains would do. They decide early on to let bumps form and then they top coat the bumps regularly with fresh snowmaking. In the past 4 weeks Belle top coated all of their bump runs at least twice.

They do bumps right.

SIKSKIER

This is what I saw on my FB feed.
Select Season: 2015-16

Connecticut Closing Day
Powder Ridge Mar 7
Ski Sundown Mar 9
Mt. Southington Mar 11
Woodbury Mar 12
Mohawk Mountain Mar 13

Rhode Island Closing Day
Yawgoo Valley Mar 6