• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The near future at Ski Sundown

Greg

Staff member
Hmm. The "open up a space in the existing base area to bring another trail from the top at some point in the near future" sounds good to me. It's my understanding that they own enough land left of Gunny to do that. I've heard classic, winding New England style trail. I certainly wouldn't scoff if they decided to seed it. ;) I wonder if a new trail will be in place this season? Remember, they've increased their pumping capacity so water shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the new carpet lift. Kinda surprising. I always thought Little Joe was a great lift to introduce kids to chairs, but I guess graduating from a conveyor to Sunnyside isn't that big of a jump, plus being a triple, it would help a guy like 2knees that had two little kids in tow.

bvibert

Staff member
Hmm. The "open up a space in the existing base area to bring another trail from the top at some point in the near future" sounds good to me. It's my understanding that they own enough land left of Gunny to do that. I've heard classic, winding New England style trail. I certainly wouldn't scoff if they decided to seed it. ;) I wonder if a new trail will be in place this season? Remember, they've increased their pumping capacity so water shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the new carpet lift. Kinda surprising. I always thought Little Joe was a great lift to introduce kids to chairs, but I guess graduating from a conveyor to Sunnyside isn't that big of a jump, plus being a triple, it would help a guy like 2knees that had two little kids in tow.

I was surprised when I heard about replacing it with a carpet at first too, but it made some sense when I was shown some of the potential ideas. The double was a nice chair for introducing new skiers and little kids to lifts. I'll be sad to see lift 3 go, but I'm excited for the new changes coming. Selling the lift is the start of them. :beer:

wa-loaf

Magic carpets are pretty cool and little kids can lap them on their own pretty easily.

bvibert

Staff member
Magic carpets are pretty cool and little kids can lap them on their own pretty easily.

I agree, there is a short one at Sundown already (too short IMHO). But the chairs on the double are so low (loading height), slow, and spaced far apart that all but the littlest of kids could load them by themselves. I would see little kids lapping the chair all the time.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I agree, there is a short one at Sundown already (too short IMHO). But the chairs on the double are so low (loading height), slow, and spaced far apart that all but the littlest of kids could load them by themselves. I would see little kids lapping the chair all the time.

The only problem with that lift was in the case of 2knees where it was him and his 2 girls who weren't used to riding the lift alone--then what do you do on a double? So the carpet will be helpful in his case, and I can totally see myself being in the same position with our kids so that's a somewhat welcome change. Though I will miss that double as it was great for beginners...

Black Phantom

how about u come down to sundown?:smash::smash::snow::snow:

I am planning on it. Most likely it will be on a Friday. After seeing the pic's in the spring, it looks like a worthwhile trip.

I thought it would be a much Further ride than it actually is. It looks like 130 miles. Not too bad. I have a couple of buddies in Simsbury and a pal at SA where I can crash on a Thursday night.

Going to have to be a warm day but I need to hit this institution to see the deal for myself.

I want to have some beers and listen to Jerry with 2knees in the lot.

sullydog

What's the deal with Sundown? I've been on sj and here for a couple years now and it seems like this place is absolutely amazingly managed.