• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

IceEidolon

Plus, Polecat controls, valves, new nozzles - it should be a lot more maintainable than a vanilla Areco now.

NYDB

looking at the forecast again they may as well stay closed this upcoming weekend. maybe open beginner area and park Sunday? hopefully the snowmaking system works and they can have a handful of man made trails by mlk weekend. or maybe it could actually snow (I know, I know - crazy)

Newpylong

I wouldn't have said the barrel stayed if he replaced it. The red sheet metal skin was removed and a Polecat sticker added, it's the same Areco stainless barrel. The Arecos looks a lot different without the skin and big nozzle cover, less square.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Definitely a conversion, not a new barrel. I know Polecats and that's not an SMI barrel.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Just got the email. Closed this weekend.

It’s going to be mid Jan before they will be open more than 7 days.

rough weather is the new norm down here.

I didn't get it, I usually do? Can you post it here?

I see on the website tickets for sale for Saturday, but not Sunday.

urungus

I didn’t get an email either, here is todays alpine update from magicmtn.com

1/5 Quick Update:

We wish you all a happy New Year! The ski area is closed this week due to continued unseasonable and significant wet weather through this week once again. As a result, snowmaking operations will begin from basically scratch possibly Friday Night depending on temperatures. Daytime temps will still be too warm. Most likely we will have top-to-bottom skiing by MLK weekend. If we can get anything open before then we will certainly try. Natural snow would be welcome!

While the ski area will be closed, the Black Line Tavern will be open Thursday and Friday for dinner starting at 4pm and Saturday at 11am for lunch and dinner. Jill Sachs and Chris Mays will be playing from 4-8pm on Saturday!

Keelhauled

Hmm, which seems more likely...that someone fat fingered removing Saturday from sale, or that they plan to make and groom out sufficient snow, starting from bare ground, to cover a way down the mountain in the space of about six hours on Friday night.

Personally, I'm torn.

IceEidolon

Instagram and their webcam show both a demo DemacLenko EVO (which - side note, that's a sweet little fan gun. I got to demo one in PA and it more than kept up with the adjacent tower Arecos fans, and the adjustable swing angle is huge for making things easy on the snowcat pushing out your pile. Just pricey relative to used fans. Anyway.) and their Areco to Polecat conversion running in the base area. No word I've seen on exactly what's running above the base area yet - my money is on Wand to Showoff.

NYDB

I wonder what trails they can lay enough snow down on to survive an inch and a half of rain and come out the other side skiable for mlk weekend.

probably one way down from the summit and 2 from mid mountain. Or maybe just mid mountain.

may as well stay closed until 1/14.

ThatGuy

Made the call to go Indy Pass this season instead of Magic+Indy. If this trend continues I won’t even use both days. Very sad state of affairs…