• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

zoomzoom

must be a gage/guage difference between the bullwheel and line. that said, not sure i've seem hor sheaves to help maintain cable alignment to the entry/exit sheaves before.

no matter. the lift is up and running. :thumbup:

zoomzoom

"lower restraint bar" sign is there, tower is numbered, tip guard is there, and grip match-marks too? those final details are real time killers.

looks like a very nice install.

WoodCore

Are those horizontal sheaves common on those lifts leading to the bull wheel?

Those must be new, don't remember them being on the Snowbowl when it existed @ Stratton. Speaking of Stratton, Villager has a similar setup on the drive end.

tumbler

Curious as to why they wouldn't make the new lift they put in the one that runs all the time and red is the weekend and holiday lift?

Newpylong

To be honest I think it's likely something they are going to have to experiment with. Saying one thing 3 years before the thing is operational is different than after it's been running for some time.

IceEidolon

IceEidolon, after 6 years (or however many years Ski Magic Ltd has owned Magic), they finally took my advice and put a weather station on the summit. That said prior they were able to triangulate pretty accurately based on other nearby stations: 1,500’ near base, 2,200’ on NE shoulder of Glebe, 2,500 over at Stratton, etc. But summit station will be a big help next fall. Hence my comment about being flexible to start at summit and move down as temps allow. I’ve watched this temperature dynamic closely for years now (my condo is across the valley at 2,300’). You’ve just got to be aggressive and flexible, but again, easy for me to say. I am sure at some point they’ll tell me to put in a night with the crew to appreciate the reality…..
We definitely weren't using that information while I was making snow there, and I wanted to be doing exactly what you're saying. Knowing what the summit weather is, plus committing to using it even at the cost of making expensive snow, would be substantial.

SkiingInABlueDream

Snow Bowl did have them. Might be to make shipping easier with a narrower bullwheel, not totally sure on that but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.
View attachment 61271
I would have found it a bit disturbing if the old lift didn't also have those horizontal sheaves. Ie why do they now need them if not before? Or, should they have been there in the original build? But whatever the case, I wonder if you'll notice a slight twist at that spot🤔

And separate from all that, congratulations to Magic!!👏👏

letitsnow1

Curious as to why they wouldn't make the new lift they put in the one that runs all the time and red is the weekend and holiday lift?
Probably because red is cheaper to run and there is never a line on non powder weekdays. I'm sure they will run black whenever there is enough demand