• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Hillwalker95

Just be aware of possible mixed precipitation and wind issues…….
Snow-forecast currently showing all snow for what it's worth. Is the general thinking that this will be heavier snow (as Mar 9 weekend) rather than softer (as Mar 23?)

slatham

Mixed precip Wednesday is a given. How quickly it changes to snow Wednesday night is key to totals, especially accumulation by 9am. NWS total is 6-14” and the group Magic uses is 8-14”. Lots of wind Wednesday overnight into Thursday morning but the worst will be downslope on the western side which is not Magic.

Hopefully tomorrow the forecast is clear that 6” of snow will fall before 9am and they confirm Thursday opening.

Mix on backside is way less likely. Any snowshowers Thur or Friday night should be snow. Perhaps snow showers during the day Friday could mix with rain at base.

RH29

Looks like Magic lost power. Their webcam is down.

MidnightJester

My guess is that internet may be sketchy. Frozen time stamp of 11 AM. Hey at least there is SNOW!!!

I have reports from friends that are there today that Magic is riding awesome right now..
Their frozen web cam is locked at 13-14 inches. They currently have the most new snow out of all of Lower VT and most VT mountains actually : ) That might change or not.
Frozen at 11:00am
1712255804554.png

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Anyone's suggestions on what to explore?? Everything that's Good or Glades lol. Going to Magic for the first time ever tomorrow Friday. They should be 20" of storm total by then. Just drop every glade on map : )

Should I run the trails to enjoy them and not look for a drop into trees or glades on the sides?

ThatGuy

Anyone's suggestions on what to explore?? Everything that's Good or Glades lol. Going to Magic for the first time ever tomorrow Friday. They should be 20" of storm total by then. Just drop every glade on map : )

Should I run the trails to enjoy them and not look for a drop into trees or glades on the side?
Hit all the glades West side. Wardrobe is my favorite. Magician->Heart of Magician->The Hallows is a really fun run as well. Gotta do Twilight Zone and Goniff as well.

Hillwalker95

Website says "The snow is relatively light and there was lots of bare ground to cover up so “rock skis” are recommended as there will still be thin cover".

I am assuming that refers mostly/all to the steepest trails that have not been open? And not to the west side blue/blacks like Wizard, Talisman, Sorcerer, Heart of Magician?

KustyTheKlown

Should I run the trails to enjoy them and not look for a drop into trees or glades on the sides?
If you look at my tracks map from 2 weekend ago that is almost every thing there is to ski

RustyGroomer

IMG_4784.jpegWe got both Goniff & Black rope drops late am. This after skiing untracked all morning.

You picked a good day Jester. Depending on what time you get there, if Black is smooth you hit that 1st. It’s currently still snowing.