• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

    You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/25-1/26 Storm Discussion Thread

ALLSKIING

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
6,901
Points
38
Location
East Setauket,NY/Killington,VT
Greg said:
I'm very jealous of anyone that is going to get out tomorrow. This clipper should freshen things up nicely.

So am I!!!!!!! I am trying so hard to get my business work out of the way so I can continue with what is important. :lol:
 

thetrailboss

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
28,129
Points
48
Location
NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
Greg said:
I'm very jealous of anyone that is going to get out tomorrow. This clipper should freshen things up nicely.

Will be out Friday and tomorrow's bitter cold should keep people at home. This weekend looks wamer and good. More snow and seasonable temps in the forecasts that I see. :wink:
 

JimG.

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
10,969
Points
48
Location
Hopewell Jct., NY
Bob R said:
Anyone out today, and can give actual mountain storm totals. Loon's web site said 2-3 inches. Hard to exaggerate that total. :cry:

I was up at Hunter with my sons David and Peter. 4-5" sounds about right. 44 is 100% covered, rock free. The guns were blasting the entire fence side of the trail. This is the best shape I've seen 44 in for a long time!

Taylor's was very nice and offered up a few left edge freshies even in the afternoon. Clair's was also very nice. Left edge of upperXover was sweet with alot of remnants of the 18" dump Sunday. Right edge of 42nd was sweet top to bottom. Bailey's also skied well. Just a great day and I'd have to say that this past Sat-Sun-Wed might be the best 3 day period at Hunter ever for me.

I had a blast and so did my boys. David was ripping and Peter had his first day of real POW and loved it. Highlight of the day was Peter doing 44 non-stop down the fall line with consistent short radius turns.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

dmc

New member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
14,275
Points
0
JimG. said:
Bob R said:
Anyone out today, and can give actual mountain storm totals. Loon's web site said 2-3 inches. Hard to exaggerate that total. :cry:

I was up at Hunter with my sons David and Peter. 4-5" sounds about right. 44 is 100% covered, rock free. The guns were blasting the entire fence side of the trail. This is the best shape I've seen 44 in for a long time!

Taylor's was very nice and offered up a few left edge freshies even in the afternoon. Clair's was also very nice. Left edge of upperXover was sweet with alot of remnants of the 18" dump Sunday. Right edge of 42nd was sweet top to bottom. Bailey's also skied well. Just a great day and I'd have to say that this past Sat-Sun-Wed might be the best 3 day period at Hunter ever for me.

I had a blast and so did my boys. David was ripping and Peter had his first day of real POW and loved it. Highlight of the day was Peter doing 44 non-stop down the fall line with consistent short radius turns.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niiiice!!! Snowmaking started on Anna Purna... Hunter could be at 100% this weekend...
 

JimG.

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
10,969
Points
48
Location
Hopewell Jct., NY
dmc said:
Niiiice!!! Snowmaking started on Anna Purna... Hunter could be at 100% this weekend...

I'm having a tough time working today...daydreaming alot and reliving runs from the past week.

Bailey's was quite good yesterday; the snow has settled some and I didn't hit anything skiing down. If we get even 6-8" from this next storm the ravine will be set.
 

dmc

New member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
14,275
Points
0
JimG. said:
dmc said:
Niiiice!!! Snowmaking started on Anna Purna... Hunter could be at 100% this weekend...

I'm having a tough time working today...daydreaming alot and reliving runs from the past week.

Bailey's was quite good yesterday; the snow has settled some and I didn't hit anything skiing down. If we get even 6-8" from this next storm the ravine will be set.

I got some serious recon work to do on the splitboard this weekend... :)
 

dmc

New member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
14,275
Points
0
bvibert said:
dmc said:
I got some serious recon work to do on the splitboard this weekend... :)

We expect pictures and a full debriefing when you get back... ;)

But of course... No expecting much.. But you never know...
It's a crap shoot... A fun crap shoot...
 
B

beswift

Guest
Well, yesterday, I had a terrific afternoon watching this storm go out to sea. I went over to Sandy Neck and snowshoe'd out into the dunes. What an experience!!! It's the best way to traverse this kind of terrain as the sand is frozen firm, it isn't hot and the snow is windpacked. In fact I was amazed at the power of the wind as it had blown much of the snow away from the shore. When I first set out I didn't find the scene very attractive, but on my return it looked beautiful. It reminded me of my drive through Oregon. What most people don't know would be that 2/3 of Oregon is composed of cold deserts. (Sometime I want to start a thread on Oregon winter sports, but that would be out of context here. Dunes and bluffs create these great bowls and cornices. One third of Barnstable bay is frozen solid, but the tide creates these very impressive meandering channels. The dingles keep their snow, so one can take advantage of the snowshoes and pass through the wood. (There were some lonely ski track out there, but I would like to see the bases after their day was over.) It's a great sight to see a storm off race point while the sun sets, too. All you would be weather forecasters should realize that lightning never strikes in the same place twice. Nor'easters get their power from the sea as well. I didn't see a lot of snow potential in this storm. Now, wasn't all that effort posting a waste of time? :beer:
 

dmc

New member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
14,275
Points
0
bvibert said:
dmc said:
I got some serious recon work to do on the splitboard this weekend... :)

We expect pictures and a full debriefing when you get back... ;)

About 2 feet in the Catskill backcountry... Not enough to cover the little shrubs but enough to ride... Deeper on leeward faces...

My buddy Dave Sunday...
 

bvibert

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
30,394
Points
38
Location
Torrington, CT
Nice, looks like a good time! :D How long were you in the BC for? Thanks for sharing! :beer:

Is that Affix??
 
B

beswift

Guest
Looks like this same storm I thought was headed out to sea has a mind of it's own. It is headed back to Ma. with the promise of pretty messy conditions.
 
Top