• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/9-2/11 Storm Discussion Thread

hammer

ctenidae said:
Everybody pray for it to head north a bit, too. We really don't need more snow down here.
No snow south of, say, Pat's Peak is my motto.
I'd like to change that motto to "no snow south of Crotched" if that's OK. :)

But, if the storm has to go in any direction, I'd rather it go north. No need for it to collect in my yard and on my driveway...

subdude

Don't worry all of Northern New England up to the Canadian Boarder will get at least 6-10". Points South like Wachusett, Crotched etc...12-18"

ctenidae

We'll take it. That's a workeable trade.
Can someone put in a request to have those totals flipped, though?

Greg

Staff member
subdude said:
Don't worry all of Northern New England up to the Canadian Boarder will get at least 6-10". Points South like Wachusett, Crotched etc...12-18"
Perfect. :roll: So I get to fight my way out of Connecticut on Thursday to go to the MRV where there's half the snowfall... :-?

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
subdude said:
Perfect. :roll: So I get to fight my way out of Connecticut on Thursday to go to the MRV where there's half the snowfall... :-?
Gasp! :blink: Did I just bitch about a snowstorm? :oops:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I'll take close to a foot up north and even more down south. I've got Sunday River this weekend and fresh powder would be awesome, but a good base for the following weekend's cross-country skiing at Windblown would be good as well.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Greg said:
subdude said:

Thats what it looks like to me!
trout.gif
Someone should ban you!! ;) I hope for your sake that the MRV gets good coverage and the traveling isn't too bad. Make sure you drive really slow with your hazards on if you have to drive in the snow. You may even want to consider cancelling your SKI trip because of the snow! :lol: :lol: :beer:

subdude

bvibert said:
Greg said:
Greg said:
subdude said:

Thats what it looks like to me!
trout.gif
Someone should ban you!! ;) I hope for your sake that the MRV gets good coverage and the traveling isn't too bad. Make sure you drive really slow with your hazards on if you have to drive in the snow. You may even want to consider cancelling your SKI trip because of the snow! :lol: :lol: :beer:

funny you mention that, our annual "bus trip" to Stratton is slated for Fri. The bus Co better not cancel.

hammer

MichaelJ said:
I'll take close to a foot up north and even more down south. I've got Sunday River this weekend and fresh powder would be awesome, but a good base for the following weekend's cross-country skiing at Windblown would be good as well.
I was at Windblown last Sunday and the conditions were pretty good once it warmed up, but it was getting thin in a few areas off of the tracks. They were saying that they may not be able to open this coming weekend unless they got some more snow.

Based on the current forecasts, though, you should be in good shape.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
hammer said:
ctenidae said:
Everybody pray for it to head north a bit, too. We really don't need more snow down here.
No snow south of, say, Pat's Peak is my motto.
I'd like to change that motto to "no snow south of Crotched" if that's OK. :)

But, if the storm has to go in any direction, I'd rather it go north. No need for it to collect in my yard and on my driveway...
No, that's NOT ok! There are ski areas south of Crotched that also need snow! I say we expand the entire storm area to drop 12-24" across all of New England, NY, NJ and PA (for my friends there). The more snow the better!!!!!

hammer

teachski said:
No, that's NOT ok! There are ski areas south of Crotched that also need snow! I say we expand the entire storm area to drop 12-24" across all of New England, NY, NJ and PA (for my friends there). The more snow the better!!!!!
Sorry...didn't mean to be selfish. :oops:

crombie

necn says 15+" around boston up to coastal maine. hope i can make it out of the house on friday.

12" at mount snow, less as you go north from there.

go north! go north!

hammer

Latest updates this morning that I saw were for 8 - 14 inches of snow up north and 10 - 20 inches in southern NH.

Vortex

NECN am weather had the White's at the edge of the 1 foot total. Please hit us this time. It looks like southern Vt and Nh resorts are getting the jackpot.

Greg

Staff member
Wooho! Powder day for me for my first time at the 'Bush! 8) Hope the winds mellow out...

http://www.sugarbush.com/winter/onmountain/weather.htm

Roemer said:
Wednesday, Feb 9th, Morning Update

*Biggest storm of the winter possible - 10-15"
*Colder this weekend/ next week, but not brutal with off and on snow

Well, we have had enough of a good thing with the recent warm weather, but the weather pattern change we have been talking about is on our heels. Light rain and fog will be a distant memory by later tomorrow into the weekend as perhaps the biggest snow event of the season hits us. This comes at a critical stage.

We are not going to change the 10-12" of snow we mentioned earlier this week from this up coming storm. If anything, amounts could be even a little greater than this. Snow amounts between tomorrow & Friday morning with a new nor'easter, and a weather system early-middle of next week may be in the 15-20" range.

The storm is similar to the blizzard in Boston a few weeks ago with one 'critical difference' - the temperatures. Temperatures and humidity levels were so low over northern New England during that storm that most of the available moisture was forced well to our east. In this case, the storm system will have time to wrap around to the left of where most models have been forecasting it to go; the left meaning, closer to the coast and in cold air, but not 'so cold' that it evaporates any moisture that comes our way and pushes the storm away.

Temperatures in the 22-28 degree range later tomorrow into Friday a.m. should mean a 15:1 or 20:1 water to snow content ratio. During the blizzard, some places in southern New England saw 35:1 (inch of moisture and 35 inches of snow)! When it is that cold that far south, you can also kiss heavy snows in our area goodbye, but not this time.

Snow amounts by early-mid afternoon Thursday will be in the 3-5" range and then the real fun begins with heavy snow tomorrow night and early Friday morning. Winds could exceed 40-50 MPH on top Friday morning, but other than that, we'll have some of the best powder skiing of the season through the weekend. The 1915-1916 analog seems to be panning out, as the weather pattern change it suggests is right on track and more normal snowfall can be expected, perhaps into March.