• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The race for opening day is on

nhskier1969

With A-basin and Loveland starting to make snow, when is our beloved New England mountains going to join the race? and open. Looks like Killington and Sunday River could have a window next Monday thru Wednesday. Who knows maybe we will have some early season turns on Rime or Airglow.
Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 3.53.25 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 3.54.18 PM.jpg

Jully

As much as I want this, it's too short a window without a change in the weather coming directly after. I'll still be dreaming though! I'm ready to call out sick and go skiing tomorrow if we got the call so I won't be caught off guard if by some miracle someone does open next week.

Jully

Next week looks like it will have some cold nights. After that it looks warmer, hopefully this changes.

Even if the warm up gets down to like 35 at night with <60% humidity, no rain forcasted, and an end to the warmer window in the long range forecast might be enough if K were ambitious... they do have the WC races in November coming up and opening in the middle of October might quiet some of the skeptics (haters) .

Last year when K opened it was low 20s for a few days but there was a warm up to a few over 32 nights in the forecast but they went for it anyways if I recall correctly.

I know I'm annoyingly optimistic... but what else is the fall for....

dlague

Even if the warm up gets down to like 35 at night with <60% humidity, no rain forcasted, and an end to the warmer window in the long range forecast might be enough if K were ambitious... they do have the WC races in November coming up and opening in the middle of October might quiet some of the skeptics (haters) .

Last year when K opened it was low 20s for a few days but there was a warm up to a few over 32 nights in the forecast but they went for it anyways if I recall correctly.

I know I'm annoyingly optimistic... but what else is the fall for....

Well they were closed on veterans day last year on Nov 11th. And it was raining.

Jully

Well they were closed on veterans day last year on Nov 11th. And it was raining.

I remember a webcam photo where they literally lost all the snow on North Ridge haha. An October opening can have little to no bearing on what November brings and vice versa. Any opening to quiet skeptics would be completely based on perceptions and not reality but isn't that 3/4 of marketing anyways?

nhskier1969

If Killington can squeeze out a 12hr snowmaking window, they could probably open up Rime. For marketing purposes being the first in North America to open is a great marketing ploy, especially with the World cup coming up. Even if its for a few days.

Jully

Could they really do Rime in 12 hours at pretty marginal temps? I was more under the impression that with marginal temps it was more like 36 or even 48 hours.

yeggous

Bretton Woods can get open top to bottom Rangeview in 24 hours. They did a few years ago in October.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

All depends on what the wet bulb is. Higher bulb, less output, longer runs required. Also the terrain your covering. A field is easier to cover that a hill.

dlague

If Killington can squeeze out a 12hr snowmaking window, they could probably open up Rime. For marketing purposes being the first in North America to open is a great marketing ploy, especially with the World cup coming up. Even if its for a few days.

Not sure that they would do that. In the years I have been there for non pass holder opening weekend they have always had Great Northern East Fall and Rime open. At a minimum they could do just Rime for Pass Holders and they can rake the steps down. But if the window is mid week I doubt it.

Los

After last year's monumental disaster and with all signs are pointing to a warm October and November, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check this year about when we'll actually be able to start skiing.

But I'm still assuming Bretton Woods will be open by at least the Sunday before Thanksgiving. So that means just 47 days to go, at the most, in all likelihood.

dlague

After last year's monumental disaster and with all signs are pointing to a warm October and November, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check this year about when we'll actually be able to start skiing.

But I'm still assuming Bretton Woods will be open by at least the Sunday before Thanksgiving. So that means just 47 days to go, at the most, in all likelihood.

That a great way to look at it!

Jully

They literally lost all the snow on North Ridge in the middle of February last year. So what.

Still came back strong.

Exactly. All I'm saying is that an early opening can say nothing about the snow depths/trail count later on because it can all be lost. It can help with public perceptions though. Additionally it shows commitment, but everyone knows K already has that, especially this season with the World Cup.

dlague

Update from Loveland and I hope the same for the Northeast soon!

Pull out that winter jacket and tune up those skis and boards, ski season isn't far off! Temperatures dropped last night allowing us to fire up the snow guns and kick off snowmaking for the 2016 - 2017 season! By morning there was already a nice blanket on Catwalk and the snow guns are still blasting away. A few inches of natural snow that also fell last night was a welcome sight to snowmakers as well as an encouraging sign for what might be in-store for the rest of the season.

We will continue down from Catwalk and the top of Chair 1 to Mambo and Homerun as we work to complete our 1000 vertical foot opening day run. Here at Loveland we pride ourselves on our opening day conditions, meaning you won't see us open until we have top-to-bottom, tree-to-tree coverage with at least an 18 inch base.

Forecasts are calling for ideal snowmaking conditions for the foreseeable future, and with the chance for some more natural snow to give us a helping hand, an opening day announcement might not be far behind! There is still a lot of work to do from now until then, so be sure to follow our snowmaking progress at www.Skiloveland.com

dlague

Loveland and A Basin reported 4-6 inches of new snow combined with snowmaking efforts - mother nature helping out!

skiNEwhere

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1475771066.903706.jpg

4 inches have fallen since this pic was snapped yesterday. The WROD race continues