• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I think they knew about it before Saturday, there was an article in the VR about it last week. My guess is the Forest Service found it when they do their periodic site visits. Utter buffoonery? 12/10 yes

When I say Utter buffoonery, I was obviously referring to how stupid the people that cut the trail and built a shelter were in the national forest. I agree that doing this is not good for our relationship with he forest service. But being so blatant about it to the point that you get caught and it goes in the paper even before the area opens for the season is just way beyond me.

tumbler

When I say Utter buffoonery, I was obviously referring to how stupid the people that cut the trail and built a shelter were in the national forest. I agree that doing this is not good for our relationship with he forest service. But being so blatant about it to the point that you get caught and it goes in the paper even before the area opens for the season is just way beyond me.

And I agree!

BenedictGomez

Its to bad the illegal shelter is being taken down, I would have liked to see someone put a really sensitive smoke detector on there and a camera so we can watch whoever built it freak out.

A $350 cellular game cam is all it would take to bust them.

Pretty obvious, so hopefully they're doing that and we just don't know.

WinS

Yes, off Sunrise.

Part of our agreement with the USFS it isolate this area with warning signs and to increase Patrols monitoring, so please do not try to locate it. They really do not want anyone in there. Lots of other woods to explore. And, yes there could be cameras around.

BenedictGomez

tumbler

Part of our agreement with the USFS it isolate this area with warning signs and to increase Patrols monitoring, so please do not try to locate it. They really do not want anyone in there. Lots of other woods to explore. And, yes there could be cameras around.

No problemo. If I'm up there and going in the woods, I'm going left into SB not right.

nhskier1969

The regular entrance is fine.

So what is the plan this week for snowmaking. I saw on the website that you guys are working on the Gatehouse side. Whats next, Ripcord? Also after the rain/freeze how are the natural trails skiing? Also is there enough snow to groom trails like Ripcord or Murphys?

Thanks Win

Tin Woodsman

So what is the plan this week for snowmaking. I saw on the website that you guys are working on the Gatehouse side. Whats next, Ripcord? Also after the rain/freeze how are the natural trails skiing? Also is there enough snow to groom trails like Ripcord or Murphys?

Thanks Win
Just need to look a few posts back where Win laid out the plan and answered your questions.

WinS

Here is what the weekend is looking like! Starting off very cold in the morning on Saturday, but looks like both days should see good sun and not a lot of wind so it could be some nice mid-winter weather. We have been making snow at LP on Pushover, Slowpoke, Easy Rider, Sugar Bear Road, Sugar Forest and Coffee Run. We came off of Coffee Run this morning and portions of Pushover and Sugar Bear Road and Forest and moved up to Lower Organgrinder. We are curtailed tomorrow (friday) from 5-9pm and thus have to shut down entirely which is a huge pain in the *** for our snowmaking team. We will resume where we were and also light up Domino Chutes and the lower sections of Jester and keep running there for most of the weekend. We might have some capacity to get some towers on Murphy's as well. Over at ME we finished with Inverness and NR Expressway and have turned on Riemergasse for the terrain park and are also going to Which Way. Rim Run and Elbow will need more but ME is coming together very well.

The following lifts will most likely run on Saturday: Bravo, Valley, Gatehouse, North Lynx, Heaven's Gate and The Welcome Mat. There are some open water bars in Slidebrook so watch out for them.

Finally, we did get some snow squalls today and more are likely tonight with the possibility of a few inches of further accumulation. It is skiing a lot better than Monday.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Here is what the weekend is looking like! Starting off very cold in the morning on Saturday, but looks like both days should see good sun and not a lot of wind so it could be some nice mid-winter weather. We have been making snow at LP on Pushover, Slowpoke, Easy Rider, Sugar Bear Road, Sugar Forest and Coffee Run. We came off of Coffee Run this morning and portions of Pushover and Sugar Bear Road and Forest and moved up to Lower Organgrinder. We are curtailed tonight from 5-9pm and thus have to shut down entirely which is a huge pain in the *** for our snowmaking team. We will resume where we were and also light up Domino Chutes and the lower sections of Jester and keep running there for most of the weekend. We might have some capacity to get some towers on Murphy's as well. Over at ME we finished with Inverness and NR Expressway and have turned on Riemergasse for the terrain park and are also going to Which Way. Rim Run and Elbow will need more but ME is coming together very well.

The following lifts will most likely run on Saturday: Bravo, Valley, Gatehouse, North Lynx, Heaven's Gate and The Welcome Mat. There are some open water bars in Slidebrook so watch out for them.

Finally, we did get some snow squalls today and more are likely tonight with the possibility of a few inches of further accumulation. It is skiing a lot better than Monday.

Thanks Win! Just an FYI...as someone who is debating on whether or not to hit Sugarbush this weekend...this post and your communication in general is definitely working to bring me there!!

Castlerock still OK to hike this weekend I'd imagine?

WinS

Thanks Win! Just an FYI...as someone who is debating on whether or not to hit Sugarbush this weekend...this post and your communication in general is definitely working to bring me there!!

Yes, CR is open to hiking. I also corrected my post, curtailment in tomorrow (Friday) not tonight. I am also get my edges sharpened as I did not really need them my first 15 days.

nhskier1969

Castlerock is open, I hiked it today. However you can't ski any portion of the long trail. There are alot of trees down.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Castlerock is open, I hiked it today. However you can't ski any portion of the long trail. There are alot of trees down.

Ooof...I've only done the hike once...skiing 1/3 of it really helped lol. Thanks for the heads up. How's coverage across the mountain? I'd imagine it's still deep enough to cover a lot of stuff in the woods but ice skates required lmao.

HowieT2

Here is what the weekend is looking like! Starting off very cold in the morning on Saturday, but looks like both days should see good sun and not a lot of wind so it could be some nice mid-winter weather. We have been making snow at LP on Pushover, Slowpoke, Easy Rider, Sugar Bear Road, Sugar Forest and Coffee Run. We came off of Coffee Run this morning and portions of Pushover and Sugar Bear Road and Forest and moved up to Lower Organgrinder. We are curtailed tomorrow (friday) from 5-9pm and thus have to shut down entirely which is a huge pain in the *** for our snowmaking team. We will resume where we were and also light up Domino Chutes and the lower sections of Jester and keep running there for most of the weekend. We might have some capacity to get some towers on Murphy's as well. Over at ME we finished with Inverness and NR Expressway and have turned on Riemergasse for the terrain park and are also going to Which Way. Rim Run and Elbow will need more but ME is coming together very well.

The curtailment comes at a most inopportune time with temps in the single digits.

generator at my inlaws house just died and so I was looking at alternatives such as a battery like the Tesla powerpac. Wonder if that would be a viable alternative. Perhaps replace the the backup generators for the lifts with batteries and then use the power from them for snowmaking during curtailments.

anyway, expecting delivery of new skis today and hopefully heading up tomorrow.