• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mtnlady

Updates on stuff

New web-site supposedly had "soft launch" yesterday - perhaps only viewable on property - to test. Announcement was made to us @ mtn that the new site will be up mid-late next week -- stay tuned.

The new Village/Family Center is being surfaced/paved. The ramp will become stairs-landing-stairs to the square next week. The Lincoln Peak Village Information Center - aka red yurt - is in place where the red schoolhouse for Ski/Ride was. The GS Kiosk is in place - we look like a bow sprit facing the old beginner poma - shades of Decaprio in Titanic cuz it's probably going to be windy - no better location for being in the action though.
No one's going to need us anyway, right?! :roll:

Steel is vertical in a half-dozen juctures of the Clay Book frame - lots happening there. Parking lot is being organized/graded at LP. Sorry I've not visited Village lift to scrutinize base - or remembered to ask the question about it's loading area layout - but I will...

as soon as I get beyond this big ambassador training weekend.
Feels like diving into the pool challenged to not breath til I hit the other side!

Almost forgot - snowmaking heavily til temps warm Saturday - then probably not able until mid-next week - but will make snow whenever possible. Educated guess is we will open upload/download - just a guess but no real surprise there ... dedicated to presenting good product to you fans!
Pretty cold here right now, and blustery.

Lostone

Village Chair

Actually, I forgot to mention, but I took a stroll over by the Village chair, the other day. It looks like some of the drop may have been emphasized on the left side, but a good part of that was already a drop, in the past. It had just been overgrown, before.

I think they will have to do something with snow farming, as the place where it mellows out comes pretty near that Sunkid lift.

I think beginners will be quite nervous about getting too near there, not to mention what will be roped off near there.

Snowing today. Not a big amount, but it is good to see everything whitish and more on the way. :)

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Re: Village Chair

Lostone said:
Actually, I forgot to mention, but I took a stroll over by the Village chair, the other day. It looks like some of the drop may have been emphasized on the left side, but a good part of that was already a drop, in the past. It had just been overgrown, before.

I think they will have to do something with snow farming, as the place where it mellows out comes pretty near that Sunkid lift.

I think beginners will be quite nervous about getting too near there, not to mention what will be roped off near there.

Snowing today. Not a big amount, but it is good to see everything whitish and more on the way. :)
The drop that was there in the past was continuous all the way across the slope... it was steep, but it was equal, so there was no sort of "hole" by the lift... if I remember correctly, there was a small ditch all the way at the bottom (parallel with the lift), but it seems like if they could fill that in, why not the rest too? It would take a lot of dirt, but there's a gigundous pile of it at the old Lodge site, and it doesn't look like they have much to do with it... I'm also foreseeing congestion with beginners coming down to the lift and first-timers around the sunkid area... looks like things could get a bit messy... but we'll have to wait and see...

Liking that white too, just a dusting at my house but it's sure nice to see 8)

djspookman

Strat said:
djspookman said:
The guns are going at the Base of North right now!:) yahoo!:)

dave
Well that's just silly. Forecasted temps in the high 50's for sunday... unless they're setting up for a rail jam or something, they're basically blowing money/resources...

so my bad.. there aren't a lot of guns going at the base, only 2. not sure why, but I assume to get the half pipe started or at least to get a small blanket of snow down.

dave

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
djspookman said:
Strat said:
djspookman said:
The guns are going at the Base of North right now!:) yahoo!:)

dave
Well that's just silly. Forecasted temps in the high 50's for sunday... unless they're setting up for a rail jam or something, they're basically blowing money/resources...

so my bad.. there aren't a lot of guns going at the base, only 2. not sure why, but I assume to get the half pipe started or at least to get a small blanket of snow down.

dave
They did it last year too around this time, they must be setting up for one of the pre-season rail jams... still seems kinda premature, but whatever...

Tin Woodsman

Xcreamus said:
It's publicity snow.

They do it to show that they are making snow. :wink:

Doubt it. They are making non-publicity snow in large volumes up top. What's the purpose?

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
It's testing for the Rome Snowboards Premature Jibulation event on the 18th:
premature.jpg

Probably not setup yet, but testing...

Publicity snow at the base wouldn't make sense... very few people are going to be at the base of North to see it, and the webcam isn't even up... so it would be pointless.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I see no 50's predicted for the mountain, Sunday or otherwise. The 10 day forcast for the mountain, not the valley, call for favorable temps for snowmaking. Several nights are in the 20's with some high's in the upper 30's right thru to the 19th.

I still say they will open before the 19th if the forcast holds up. 8)

thetrailboss

Staff member
ski_resort_observer said:
I see no 50's predicted for the mountain, Sunday or otherwise. The 10 day forcast for the mountain, not the valley, call for favorable temps for snowmaking. Several nights are in the 20's with some high's in the upper 30's right thru to the 19th.

:-? Read Roger Hill's report...may break 60 F in Burlington, VT on Sunday. This is NOT the mountain, but it will break at least 40F then...

Tin Woodsman

Well yes and no. Looks like at least the lower half of the mountain will see 50 degrees plus on Sunday. Forecast high for BTV is 59. The rest of the week looks much cooler, topping out in the upper 40s in BTV early on then getting cooler throughout the week, if you believe the NWS.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com

Where do you get these mountain forecasts?

ski_resort_observer

Website
Tin Woodsman said:

Well yes and no. Looks like at least the lower half of the mountain will see 50 degrees plus on Sunday. Forecast high for BTV is 59. The rest of the week looks much cooler, topping out in the upper 40s in BTV early on then getting cooler throughout the week, if you believe the NWS.

Okay, you caught me, I'm an optomist. :D Sunday is just one day and maybe it won't be that warm.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Tin Woodsman said:

Okay, you caught me, I'm an optomist. :D Sunday is just one day and maybe it won't be that warm.
Even pessimists are closet optimists. 8)

We can only hope man...

Tin Woodsman

Spent some time up at the base area this weekend. The footprint of Clay Brook is impressively large. Everything looks to be in place, though they still have a fair bit of work to do to get the main parking lot in order. Doubly so for the overflow lot behind the snowmaking bldg - it's a boulder-filled mess right now.

Maybe mtnlady or someone can help me out on this - what is/was the purpose of clearing the hill behind the Gate House lodge? IIRC, it was stated that since the area between the GH lodge and Clay Brook will become a pedestrian only area, they wanted to open up the area uphill from the GH lodge to allow for better skier flow back and forth. But the hill is still too steep to allow for any real increase up there. I just don't get it.

Also, does anyone know what that huge concrete block was for at the point just below where the Village Run turns downhill? Took a hike up in that direction for the first time ever and came across that beast.

Finally - anyone know the origin of the roads that intersect Village Run right at that turn? Top of Slide Brook?

ski_resort_observer

Website
Tin

Here is the area your talking about,right?
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1670&Y=12225&W=1&qs=|warren|vt|
Hoepfully Mtnlady can help but I know she is extremely busy this time of year.

I too saw the cement block and assumed it was to prevent people from driving onto the trail from that homeowners road with the many switchbacks. The road didn't make it up that far, yet, so I assumed it was put in case it did. Just my theory.

On the road heading towards the northeast from where VR bends downhill I always thought it was just a logging road but again just my theory. I remember asking but unless you stay in a condo your probably not going to use VR.

Remember the thread we had going about the trail cut above Inverness going to MRG. In that thread Eric mentioned a guy who would know, can't remember his name but if all else fails I can get it for you. You can also email Eric over at MRG and he would pass that on to you. Good luck!

Tin Woodsman

Yeah that's the area alright. Based on the Terraserver pic, it's hard to tell if the road continues up or not. Probably does, though not nearly as wide as the beginning part.

My guess was that the concrete block was the base for the summit terminal of a village lift never constructed.