• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

    You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lostone

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
588
Points
0
Location
Sugarbush, Vermont
Happened once that I recall on a busy weekend this year. I wanted to hit North Lynx area for a few runs (others needed to get back to North) and I was SOL.

As I remember... I was on North Lynx then. Snow was great and nobody could get to me. Life doesn't always suck. :lol: :wink:

As for the food service at Allyn's, did that get onto the challenge questions?

Noski, good to see you over here. Seems like the RSN board is broken. :cry: Sent them an email last week. Haven't heard anything. :roll:
 

noski

New member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
863
Points
0
Location
mad river valley
just visiting

Lostone said:
Noski, good to see you over here. Seems like the RSN board is broken. :cry: Sent them an email last week. Haven't heard anything. :roll:

Thanks, Lostone. Visiting here is like being in reception hall with cathedral ceilings. I kind of liked our former back-porch-around-the-grill location. Maybe you will see me at the Warren 4th, with 8,000 of my closest friends. :beer:
 

thetrailboss

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
28,125
Points
48
Location
NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
Yeah, guys I tried many times to put an announcement on RSN regarding this challenge, but they are not taking any new submissions for some odd reason...maybe the guys at Whiteface finally scared them off.

The Wachusett room is not working either...oh well...you are all welcome here :wink:
 

skibum1321

New member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
1,349
Points
0
Location
Malden, MA
Strat said:
So we have a sugarbush thread... now what do we do?

Here's a thought-provoker: 2 foot dump last night, let's say it's midseason so you're fully in shape and everything. You hurry up to Sugarbush (North or South, your pick) to get first chair. Which trail/glade do you hit first? Keep it on-map, makes it a bit more challenging...

Me, I say Paradise. No, I've never ridden it, but I've only heard great things, especially on pow days.

Although I probably wouldn't be on a marked trail, I would say probably Rumble or Liftline
 

Tin Woodsman

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
997
Points
0
It's got to be Liftline for me, assuming the ride up indicates that the top part hasn't been scoured down to bedrock per usual. That trail is nothing but fun with deep snow on it as you can just billy goat from one outcrop to the next with no repurcussions. Rumble is fun too, but unless you have a super deep snowfall, thhe bumps and rocks that had built up before the storm will be felt lurking underneath.
 

Lostone

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
588
Points
0
Location
Sugarbush, Vermont
Noski, I usderstand what you mean about the around the grill site. I'm hoping enough of the folks who used to gather around the grill will have copied the trail of breadcrumbs to find their way over here.

I'll be there on the fourth. Unless it is raining, I'll have my orange and grey camera bag, and will likely be shooting. :wink:

I was going to ask if they were going to run the busses, but I saw signs up at the Lincoln base, today. That's a good thing. Just can's see all those people driving there. 8)

And as for which trail first, depends on how much snow and what time. If it is a weekend, only Bravo is open at 8:00, and I'm on the first few chairs. If it is later, other lifts will open at the same time... and I will be on the first few chairs.

I'll usually try to blast a few on the fast lifts before spending the time on the others. Sure it isn't Paradise, but it is POWDAH!! :beer:

Those who've seen me on powder mornings know I cover my ground. :wink:
 

noski

New member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
863
Points
0
Location
mad river valley
July 4

Lostone said:
I'll be there on the fourth. Unless it is raining, I'll have my orange and grey camera bag, and will likely be shooting. :wink:

I was going to ask if they were going to run the busses, but I saw signs up at the Lincoln base, today. That's a good thing. Just can's see all those people driving there.

Bus will run from Yestermorrow as well on July 4. I will look for the camera bag. You know it never rains on our parade. I am in charge of weather, part of my job you know- so don't worry. :wink:
 

Tin Woodsman

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
997
Points
0
I think it also depends on the wind direction for choosing where to go. Lincoln Peak has nearly 270 degrees of skiing in its massive basin. As a result, a Noreaster (with E to NE winds) will create a radically different pattern of wind scouring than your typical 6-10" clipper storm coming in from the W or NW. I've skied powder days where the north facing trails off of Super Bravo and Valley House were miserable with bulltproof snow in the trees while at the same time Castlerock and North Lynx were going off. I've also seen the exact opposite. It's truly amazing what aspect and elevation can do.
 

ski_resort_observer

New member
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
3,423
Points
0
Location
Waitsfield,Vt
Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Welcome Noski...we do know eachother...lol

Allyn's Lodge has really pretty much been a non-factor for many years. During ASC days they trucked food up there everyday so all they had were some bad sandwiches, pastries and hot chocalate if they were having a good day. Summit has already upgraded is so they can actually cook and looking at it's usuage I don't think you need to make it any bigger. What a spot!

As far as the new Lincoln Base Lodge they just need to make it big enough for crowded weekends, a GOOD ventilation system and make it a nice place to take a break.

Everytine I look up at LP I see alot of space between Castlerock and Heavens Gate. Maybe a slow lift with MRG type terrain with both intermediate and advanced terrain good go in there. Take just a part of that space so as to not disturb the Church.
 

Lostone

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
588
Points
0
Location
Sugarbush, Vermont
Welcome Noski...we do know eachother...lol

:-? But... Are you one of her 8000 closest friends? :wink:

I think it also depends on the wind direction for choosing where to go.

Yes, and that's why I never decide before I'm on the lift. Riding up, I scour the trails.
"Does that look groomed?"
"What's the wind direction?"
Is that powder or drift snow?"

All important questiond before the fronts of the skis touch the ramp at the top. But by then, the decision is made and I'm in instant motion. Usually I have an alternate plan, too... just in case of surprises. :wink:

I remeber one day las season I got off Bravo and there was this giant pile of "powder" I blasted half way thru it. :cry: :lol:
 

Tin Woodsman

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
997
Points
0
ski_resort_observer said:
Welcome Noski...we do know eachother...lol

Allyn's Lodge has really pretty much been a non-factor for many years. During ASC days they trucked food up there everyday so all they had were some bad sandwiches, pastries and hot chocalate if they were having a good day. Summit has already upgraded is so they can actually cook and looking at it's usuage I don't think you need to make it any bigger. What a spot!

As far as the new Lincoln Base Lodge they just need to make it big enough for crowded weekends, a GOOD ventilation system and make it a nice place to take a break.

Everytine I look up at LP I see alot of space between Castlerock and Heavens Gate. Maybe a slow lift with MRG type terrain with both intermediate and advanced terrain good go in there. Take just a part of that space so as to not disturb the Church.

Allyn's gets extremely crowded on cold weekends. I don't think it needs a massive expansion into a full fledged mid-mountain lodge, just about 20-30 more seats. And a better commitment to food service on the weekends. It's still lackluster with only prepared sandwiches, hot chocolate, and some snacks.

A lift between where you describe is a bad idea, IMHO. Not much intermediate terrain in there at all, so it would really only add to the abundant expert stuff. And of course you'd ruin a lot of good skiing too.
 

ski_resort_observer

New member
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
3,423
Points
0
Location
Waitsfield,Vt
Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
lackluster

It's a shame that the food service at AL has not improved much. The new F&B guy seems to know what he's doing. It's in such a sweet location. One of the few times I have gone in there it was very cold all I wanted was a hot cup of jo, no luck, they ran out.
 

thetrailboss

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
28,125
Points
48
Location
NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
Yeah, on paper a lift in between Castlerock and Heavens Gate would be cool but I don't think it would work out too well. Look at Ripcord--they have to blow lots of snow on it and it still gets icy. Some good pitch in there, but with the trees, there is some protection from the wind and elements to keep snow deep...
 

Strat

New member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
197
Points
0
Location
Mad River Valley, Vermont
Website
www.geocities.com
IMO, the best place for new lift/trail development is (as has been discussed many times before), above Inverness... just from sun angles and the slope of the hillside it seems like there would be the potential for a great north lynx-y type area... unfortunately it's so close to mad river glen that the shareholders would have a fit if Sugarbush ever showed any interest in development up there... plus that land is probably privately owned...
 

awf170

New member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
4,380
Points
0
Location
Lynn and Lowell MA
Strat said:
IMO, the best place for new lift/trail development is (as has been discussed many times before), above Inverness... just from sun angles and the slope of the hillside it seems like there would be the potential for a great north lynx-y type area... unfortunately it's so close to mad river glen that the shareholders would have a fit if Sugarbush ever showed any interest in development up there... plus that land is probably privately owned...

there was a lift planned there right, and even cut :-?
this is what ur talking about right

and nice website :D
 

thetrailboss

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
28,125
Points
48
Location
NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
awf170 said:
Strat said:
IMO, the best place for new lift/trail development is (as has been discussed many times before), above Inverness... just from sun angles and the slope of the hillside it seems like there would be the potential for a great north lynx-y type area... unfortunately it's so close to mad river glen that the shareholders would have a fit if Sugarbush ever showed any interest in development up there... plus that land is probably privately owned...

there was a lift planned there right, and even cut :-?
this is what ur talking about right

and nice website :D

Yes, as we've discussed in here and on RSN, this expansion has an interesting history. :wink: It was conceived back in the days of yore...when Ellen was independent, men were men, and well...OK..it was back in the 1960's and 1970's.

The owner of Ellen began cutting the liftline and was stopped when he realized after the fact that he DID NOT own the land :eek: . So, there it sits....an overgrown liftline that one can see from German Flats Road and from other vantage points. It is that little clearing on the left as one goes down Upper Brambles/Inverness (I believe where GMVS sets up a starting area).

Rumor was that the old Ellen owner was considering merging with MRG and this was part of the plan...if only he owned the land :roll:

But that's now history. SB did what any good company would do to their competition...buy them out...and then replaced the lifts with a HSQ, two quads, added snowmaking, and bulldozed/flattened/tamed the terrain :(

Ellen now has pretty much all QUADS and is still underused and uncrowded (a good thing :wink: ). Great big mountain, great terrain, great views. From the distance, Ellen's imposing face is impressive. From the back, she's quite mellow.

OK, getting too sentimental...missing my days on Ellen! :wink:
 

ski_resort_observer

New member
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
3,423
Points
0
Location
Waitsfield,Vt
Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Mt Ellen lift

I was going to put a link to the Snow Journal thread about this lift but the thread does go off tangent a few times, that never happens here...lol, so I am just going to copy and paste my post which is basically a copy and paste as well. lol

<< Here is some info about the mystery lift. Easier to copy and paste the info from an email I got from Eric Freidman.

>In terms of the lift I have seen this all before and have spoken about it with Ken Quackenbush, MRG’s GM from about 1951 to about 1992. He told me that Glen Ellen went forward with the idea and actually cut the lift line prior to getting state permits which were later denied. Apparently MRG had the same idea of utilizing the same mountain top, except coming at it with a lift from the Mad River Barn.

I recall a great conversation with Ken several years ago. He commented at the time that Glen Ellen was built that there was not enough business to support 3 mountains in the valley. History has proven that he was probably right.<

From the topo the terminal for both proposed lifts that Eric talks about is the highest point of Stark. Looks to be 200 vf higher than MRG's current summit elevation.

It was nice to get a reply from Eric Friedman regarding my email about the lift in question. >>
 
Top