• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

Indeed. Looks like they are having an impromptu lift ops staff meeting to figure it out. Also looks like they are about to go all in on Lower Downspout/Jester to the base.
View attachment 52304
Someone did not unload correctly at the top and caused a misalignment in the haul rope. Yup, they are setting up to go down to the base once temps come in again late tomorrow.

mikec142

It was for Outdoor Gear employees. They have fine this before.
One of my favorite stores in the world. It's so hard to find a store where the employees have expertise around the products they sell. OGE is a champ in that area.

jaybird

What we’re they demoing? Clothing ? Helmets ?
Tough to get a reading on ski responsiveness with the surface the way it is ..

Hawk

Headed out soon. Looking out the window I see Gate house, Valley House and Bravo spinning with lines at all three. Should be a good day.

nhskier1969

Looked on their website and it looks like they are blowing snow on the lower downspout route to the bottom. This is sure happy news for everyone. The one criticism I have, why are the blowing on both Coffee and gondolier runs. How much more snow making does it take to cover Domino, lower OG to lower Jester. instead on Gondolier? Gondolier has to be wider and longer the lower OG. Plus they will have the down hill route using Coffee run. Anyone thoughts?

WinS

Looked on their website and it looks like they are blowing snow on the lower downspout route to the bottom. This is sure happy news for everyone. The one criticism I have, why are the blowing on both Coffee and gondolier runs. How much more snow making does it take to cover Domino, lower OG to lower Jester. instead on Gondolier? Gondolier has to be wider and longer the lower OG. Plus they will have the down hill route using Coffee run. Anyone thoughts?
Gondolier is the entrance and exit to the vehicle maintenance area where groomers and snowmobiles are kept and repaired, so it is good to get this done as soon as possible. Also this provides the best route to GH area so one does not have to ski around Bravo coral. I think the next movement will be to Domino Chute, Middle Jester and Lower Organgrinder. You can see land gear set up on Jester already and Lower Grinder has the HKD towers.

Last edited:

tumbler

Just looked and no update on when more food and bars are opening like Wunderbar, burrito place and nomad coffee. I hope they are are opening soon. And very quiet on Mt Ellen opening- is that on track for next weekend?

WinS

Just looked and no update on when more food and bars are opening like Wunderbar, burrito place and nomad coffee. I hope they are are opening soon. And very quiet on Mt Ellen opening- is that on track for next weekend?
802 Burritto opened last weekend. ME is scheduled to open next weekend. There is a ribbon cutting for VASS addition on Friday 12/17. I believe Wunderbar is scheduled for next weekend too, but I have not asked. Will do next time I am up at the Mtn.

WWF-VT

Mt Ellen gets a Miso Hungry this season

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My sympathy to their ops team for being stuck with the boat anchor Snowlogics.

snowlogics are the absolute worst snow guns I have ever had the pleasure of skiing on. The funky whale shapes they make almost killed me on South Bowl at Mount Snow years ago. Shitty to ski under, and shitty quality. I remember K tried putting them on Outer Limits for a season and there was a revolt amongst the passholders.

IceEidolon

Yep. Neat internal concept, there's a lot of engineering involved, but they - especially the early versions - are really only happy with 700+ psi water. And they take a lot of labor to adjust on towers to drain. And they're heavy as sin. And they clog. And...

Give me an Impulse for portables and low pressure, or an SV14 if I get 450+ psi water.

skiur

snowlogics are the absolute worst snow guns I have ever had the pleasure of skiing on. The funky whale shapes they make almost killed me on South Bowl at Mount Snow years ago. Shitty to ski under, and shitty quality. I remember K tried putting them on Outer Limits for a season and there was a revolt amongst the passholders.

Problem was they were only able to make snow on skiers left of the trail as the guns couldn't get snow more than halfway across the trail!

IceEidolon

If you notice there's a lot of portable K guns and Ratniks that run under the Superstar Nologics for the same reason. This is even more true as you get further up the mountain and lose pressure and throw. Honestly at some point Killington is gonna have to bite the several million dollar bullet and run some serious fan power up Superstar.

jimmywilson69

I would be curious what it would cost to run more fans on Superstar. I'm guessing you'd need a larger water pipe, although maybe not considering they've run 100+ air/water guns on that trail while building the race course. You'd definitely need an electric feed. I wonder if they could put in the feed and then run it off of a diesel generator?

At the same time, I'm not sure any of that is really needed. You can still get better production out of their air hog fleet (K guns, ratniks) in the super marginal temps where fans don't run. that was evident this year as there was a lot of times that the fans they had at the bottom weren't running while they were blowing with land guns and presumably a shit ton of air.