• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

CoolMike

Anyone know what the glade to the skier's right off of Birch Run is called?

There are two narrow entrances but once inside the glade there are a few really cool lines. Its not on the map.

Thanks!

benski

It is called the Orchard and the Emerald Forest. I think the Orchard is the lower one. The upper one used to have a snow making hydrant in front of it. I think management had it moved to improve access to the glade.

HowieT2

Orchard is parallel to birch run down to castlerock connection. Emerald forest you traverse farther in towards castlerock. It splits and the upper traverse requires you to cut back left to get to this great line down eventually leading out to the bridge. Just don't be a yahoo and go too far right from that upper traverse. Steep walled creek. Been there. bad.

Plowboy

Years ago these type post's would have been a floggable offence!!!! Have fun with all of the moguls and bobsled runs in the woods. Be kool and rock-on!!

HowieT2

Years ago these type post's would have been a floggable offence!!!! Have fun with all of the moguls and bobsled runs in the woods. Be kool and rock-on!!

i hear Ya and am cognizant of that debate, but the entrances are fairly obvious from the trail so anyone curious could access them regardless of knowing what they are called.

video of the top third of emerald forest after the traverse. Following my son who was 14 at the time.

http://youtu.be/wPLUhmyhm1g

chuckstah

Ski and tee this weekend. Free golf with lift ticket purchase. 9 holes will be open. Walking only.

benski

Stein's will be open via walking the Reverse Traverse. I'll be on the mountain Saturday and Sunday.

They are having a competition where you try to do the most laps between 10 and 3 on stein's. They are calling it the stein's derby.

steamboat1

Why not, Steins still looks to be covered side to side, top to bottom. I've always said if Sugaarbush blew as much snow as K does on Supe, Steins would be the late season winner. Maybe with the new chair they'll go for it next year. There's no money in it, just bragging rights (marketing).

Trail has no character though, no curves, might even be considered wide.:smile:

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sugarbush doesn't have the long built up NYC clientele to successfully go late into May like K does.

I'll take Steins and Sugarbush 10 times out of 10 over Superstar and Killington, but I can see why most of the NYC market doesn't want to drive the extra hour after already driving 4 to 6 to get as far as K.

Savemeasammy

Take the quality bumps that usually form on Superstar and put them on Steins. Then you'd have something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

Take the quality bumps that usually form on Superstar and put them on Steins. Then you'd have something.
Heh? Steins bumps are consistently better than those on Superstar. With the exception of late season Superstar rarely has bumps except for on the edges of the trail down low. Superstar is usually groomed every 2-3 days (sometimes more) while Steins see's a groom maybe every 2-3 weeks (if that).

Killington has got carried away with their grooming if you ask me. During the height of winter it's hard to find a bump run on the mountain. I think they are trying to compete with their neighbors to the south who for the most part are known for their grooming. K is definitely not the same as some people might remember it.

Savemeasammy

Heh? Steins bumps are consistently better than those on Superstar. With the exception of late season Superstar rarely has bumps except for on the edges of the trail down low. Superstar is usually groomed every 2-3 days (sometimes more) while Steins see's a groom maybe every 2-3 weeks (if that).

Killington has got carried away with their grooming if you ask me. During the height of winter it's hard to find a bump run on the mountain. I think they are trying to compete with their neighbors to the south who for the most part are known for their grooming. K is definitely not the same as some people might remember it.

Killington is mostly an early and late season play for me, so it usually has bumps when I ski it. But my point was more that the bumps on Steins - on the few times that I've been - have been bad. They have always been way too far apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolMike

I really like the bumps on Steins. I like how far apart they are!

Steins is a fair bit steeper than Superstar so the spacing helps me to carve a little instead of just windshield-wiping / whip-turning / whatever you call it.

WWF-VT

Stein's was a lot of fun this weekend. Soft snow and the 5-8 minute hike resulted in limited number of people that gave it a try.
attachment.php
[/IMG]

dlague

Sugarbush doesn't have the long built up NYC clientele to successfully go late into May like K does.

I'll take Steins and Sugarbush 10 times out of 10 over Superstar and Killington, but I can see why most of the NYC market doesn't want to drive the extra hour after already driving 4 to 6 to get as far as K.

I would have to agree! Steins has consistent pitch where SS has the headwall, then flattens out then steepens again where everyone puts the brakes on.