• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

There's quite a few different ways to ski Spring Fling. You can rip down it with GS turns. Do shorter SL turns along the edges. Sometimes you have the bumps on skier's right as an option. Nice long consistent pitch...I enjoy it quite a bit.

djd66

There's quite a few different ways to ski Spring Fling. You can rip down it with GS turns. Do shorter SL turns along the edges. Sometimes you have the bumps on skier's right as an option. Nice long consistent pitch...I enjoy it quite a bit.
and woods options on both sides,... personally I love ripping GS turns on Fling when the conditions are right - one of my favs on the mountain

jimmywilson69

A high speed run on snowball and spring fling is fun. I do like the trees in that zone. I think when the snow is deep it's a really fun are to ski especially the nats

cdskier

and woods options on both sides,... personally I love ripping GS turns on Fling when the conditions are right - one of my favs on the mountain

Eden is a lot of fun and I often jump in there quite a bit.

Reactions: Los

Kingslug20

I practiced tree runs in Eden for a while to get used to east coast trees...
Cant get in trouble in there..

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Kudos to the SB team for making it happen on GH side... (hard to believe it was 60-70 deg a week ago). I always used to like making snow on Pushover. It was a trail that came into it pretty quick. I'm assuming its got the Klik hydrants now? Those are pretty nice. And all towers too.

The thing to remember about upper mtn is that its mostly land guns, and Downspout takes awhile to come together. The temp game used to be "if you got temps down low, run down low". We just in the past never usually had them down low so early, so up high we went. SB and Fling are wide trails so they take some time as well to come together, especially at the bottom (below "The Wave").

Have fun up there, hope to get up in January or March (or both?!)

SteezyRob

talking about the woods next to spring fling isn't exactly making a case for it lol
now come to think of it, it probably is one of the worst routes at sugarbush. i say routes intentionally, i'm not counting "Trails" like sugarbear road or heavans gate traverse..

chuckstah

talking about the woods next to spring fling isn't exactly making a case for it lol
now come to think of it, it probably is one of the worst routes at sugarbush. i say routes intentionally, i'm not counting "Trails" like sugarbear road or heavans gate traverse..
Almost killed myself taking the Eden "route" once. Hit a root? Snow snake? And Supermaned straight towards a tree. Had to Superman right in mid air to miss it. Ouch. The tree ripped off my skis on the fly. Closest call ever, I believe.

Hawk

I am definately not in the camp of Pushover, easy rider, slow poke. My reasons........ that lift is the most crowded on most days and it usually take for ever to get up. The trail is the proving ground for beginers and has most of the lessons going down it. I am not a total ass and chose so ski slower and with caution to avoid totally freeking out the beginners so that run is usually not my favorite. Snow ball and spring fling have less beginners and are wide enough to let it go a little more. And as outher people have stated, there are many ways to ski it. It is also longer and has 2 lifts that you can access it from.

It's opening day so some most of this is negated because of the people who will be there and as stated before, Sking is sking on opening day. I will be at sunday river with my old friends and some family this weekend. Then back to my home for Turkey turns. We should have more open by then.

tumbler

Still running on Gatehouse side though. Hopefully switchover to SB->Fling today to get it open for post turkey runs. Temps look good.

HowieT2

Still running on Gatehouse side though. Hopefully switchover to SB->Fling today to get it open for post turkey runs. Temps look good.
That's an understatement. Can't recall a pre thanksgiving run of consistent below normal temps as forecatsed. and who knows, maybe mother nature comes bearing gifts next weekend.

slatham

Based on what I've read and seen with the weather, I think the choice for tomorrow was skiing on GH, or watching them continue to make snow on a closed Spring Fling, or a closed Jester/DS.

Downloading off of Bravo not an option per management (did they ever do that?)

cdskier

Based on what I've read and seen with the weather, I think the choice for tomorrow was skiing on GH, or watching them continue to make snow on a closed Spring Fling, or a closed Jester/DS.

Downloading off of Bravo not an option per management (did they ever do that?)

Yes, they've done downloading on Bravo as recently as last year.

slatham

Yes, they've done downloading on Bravo as recently as last year.

Well, I guess it didn't go well!

I was out of commission and obviously not paying attention last year, but after typing that did recall that happening in years past.

Hopefully by next weekend it will be a distant memory.......

cdskier

Well, I guess it didn't go well!

I was out of commission and obviously not paying attention last year, but after typing that did recall that happening in years past.

Hopefully by next weekend it will be a distant memory.......

Lincoln Peak only became the early opener in 2007. Since November 2007, almost 50% of the years they opened with downloading on Super Bravo, so not unusual at all.

November 2021
December 2020* - normally this would have been a year where downloading would have been used, but due to COVID they wanted to wait until they could open multiple lifts/routes to spread people out.
November 2016
November 2015
November 2011
November 2010
December 2009 (late start that year and still only upper mountain terrain)
November 2007

Prior to 2007, ME was the early opening mountain (with summit terrain typically and downloading on GMX)

flakeydog

Thanksgiving of 2006 got super warm. I recall skiing through hay bales spread over the rocks on the top of Rim Run. I believe they shut down for a week before they could recover from that. A said above, I think that was the last time they opened the season at North. Either way, I am happy to ski Gate House with hopes that Spring Fling will not be far behind. Not missing Downspout or downloading at all...

Los

A high speed run on snowball and spring fling is fun. I do like the trees in that zone. I think when the snow is deep it's a really fun are to ski especially the nats
Snowball is great - spring fling, not so much.

By the way, I told my kids I prefer pushover to spring fling and they booed me out of the room - which actually surprised me because I thought they hated spring fling as much as I do. Damn kids! What do they know?

flakeydog

Surprised at the dislike for Spring Fling here, I think it’s a great trail. Great cruising with just enough pitch to keep you honest, often offers bumps on skiers right and great GS race trail to boot. I even miss the old triple chair at times. There was a a couple of years in the late 80s that Spring Fling (accessed by the old triple) was the pre- thanksgiving opening act. One lift, one trail, no run outs. Problem was it was low elevation and at that time North had more snowmaking.