• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Hats off to ayone who has been able to make snow during this farce!

Thanks... it's been tough to say the least. My regular-scheduled shift hasn't made snow in a week and we got switched to days last weekend. Interesting working around all the people. Hope to god this pattern changes at some point after Christmas.

steamboat1

My hats off to Win for giving almost daily plans, communications & answering questions over in the MRV forum. Sometimes more than once a day. I've never seen anything like it from any other owner/manager of a ski resort.

cdskier

My hats off to Win for giving almost daily plans, communications & answering questions over in the MRV forum. Sometimes more than once a day. I've never seen anything like it from any other owner/manager of a ski resort.

His openness and transparency are certainly very refreshing. Even on mountain my experience is that he has always been a pretty visible and hands on owner and easily approachable.

steamboat1

His openness and transparency are certainly very refreshing. Even on mountain my experience is that he has always been a pretty visible and hands on owner and easily approachable.

Yes I've seen him greeting people on lift lines, walking around the base lodge & on the slopes skiing. Almost hit him with the bathroom door up at Allyn's Lodge once.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not to shabby.

As per Win today: We had 118 guns combined blowing on both mountains.

Stowe reported 120, K >120

That is good to see. I was under the impression that they had less capacity. Very good.

And yes Win is a very good manager.

cdskier

That is good to see. I was under the impression that they had less capacity. Very good.

And yes Win is a very good manager.

On 12/19 Win reported they had 193 guns going between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen which certainly surprised me (in a good way).

Also, just for comparison's sake...in terms of open terrain K (with their massive snowmaking system) has 8 miles and 84 acres open. SB has 7.6 miles and 74 acres open. I do think part of that might be due to decisions made by mountain ops. K seemed to try to expand too quickly and not put enough base on trails which seemed to hurt them during the warm ups. SB focused more on building depth on open trails before moving on. That's not to say SB didn't still have issues as there were still a number of bare/thin spots on some trails when the weather got warm.

Last edited:

IWannaGoFast

If a lift isn't running, is it really "open"?

Is anyone else getting frustrated at Sugarbush's constant lift maintenance issues?

Tin

What happened this weekend? I almost went up last Tuesday but knew the wind would cause havoc and of course they essentially shut the mountain down. Surprised they couldn't run anything. Kind of sad when I have more faith in Jay Peak running lifts than SB.

cdskier

What issues? All 16 lifts were running fine Saturday as scheduled. I think Slide Brook had a delay in the morning on Sunday, but when I checked the report in the afternoon it was no longer listed as being delayed. Other than wind holds (which aren't SB's fault), what other issues have they had lately? Lifts have been fine the past few weeks when I've been there.

IWannaGoFast

Slidebrook was scheduled for 10am yesterday, opened late, then closed with passengers on it due to maintenance, then opened, then closed again with passengers on it (me this time). Last week the Summit chair had similar issues and these are by no means the only recent examples. Obviously every mountain has lift problems from time to time which is not an issue but it is the frequency with which they seem to be occurring at Sugarbush which is troubling. It's not only difficult to plan your runs for the day with unscheduled closures, but getting stuck on chairs isn't a whole lot of fun either.

cdskier

I heard Summit had some issues a couple weeks ago where they were getting some irregular electric impulses causing it to stop. They installed a new drive in it this past off-season and thought perhaps it was related to that. They were installing a new card in it to address those issues, but not sure what happened last weekend. I hadn't heard of anything, but last weekend I wasn't paying close attention to what was going on at SB as I had to deal with my truck having issues on the drive up to SB and then finding someone on Saturday to fix it. So I never got to ski MLK weekend.

SB has invested quite a bit in lifts lately with many of them practically being rebuilt the past couple years with new drives, electrical systems, etc. From what I've seen, lift issues this year have been pretty limited. I'm not saying they haven't happened, but I do think there has been a drastic decline over the past couple years in issues.

Wind on the other hand is another story. I don't know why exactly, but SB seems much more impacted by wind than their neighbors to the north or south. Could just be the orientation of the mountain or lifts. I do know that when they have wind holds, they are definitely justified though. Having personally been on a couple lifts right before they were shut down due to wind, there's definitely a reason they close them.

rocks860

I took slide brook and summit yesterday, no issues when I was on them but I did see that slide brook opened late. The summit chair is also the slowest chair of all time

rocks860

I'm debating whether or not to try castle rock today but paradise was pretty terrible so I can't imagine castle rock is doing too great. Maybe I'll do that for my last run

benski

I'm debating whether or not to try castle rock today but paradise was pretty terrible so I can't imagine castle rock is doing too great. Maybe I'll do that for my last run

Paradise gets a lot more traffic. Castlerock is definitely better.

cdskier

Paradise gets a lot more traffic. Castlerock is definitely better.

Agreed, although I didn't go over to CR this weekend so can't personally tell you how it is. Past experience simply agrees with benski.