• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Have to disagree with you here. Cant count the amount of days that have been extended because of that extra shelter/respite the bubble provides during the inclement weather days ie rain, wind, blowing snow.... I for one would rather sit on a chairlift than a lodge during those days.

There's a reason you see more of them being made every year.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who initially thought the same way you did until the bluebird was installed at my home mountain.

I said 6-pack. I never mentioned a 6-pack bubble specifically in my comment and they do make non-bubble 6's. That said I'm also anti-bubble. I'm out in all kinds of weather and not having a bubble has never stopped me from skiing before. If the weather is good enough to ski in, then it is good enough to ride a chair in. No need to waste money on a bubble.

Tin Woodsman

Have to disagree with you here. Cant count the amount of days that have been extended because of that extra shelter/respite the bubble provides during the inclement weather days ie rain, wind, blowing snow.... I for one would rather sit on a chairlift than a lodge during those days.

There's a reason you see more of them being made every year.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who initially thought the same way you did until the bluebird was installed at my home mountain.
I would suggest you either put on another layer, or stay at your home mountain.

Self-selection is a wonderful thing.

GregoryIsaacs

Damn forgot you sugarbush skiers are so tough and enjoy layering up past the point of comfort! What im saying is that a bubble makes days that would otherwise be not worth the ticket price actually somewhat enjoyable. But hey what do I know.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Everyone is different. I would never want to see a bubble added to the HSQ at Wildcat. Some people prefer the MT Snow type experience, some want things a bit more rough around the edges.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

gregnye

I agree that Sugarbush doesn't need a bubble chair or 6-pack. In fact, out of most resorts in the Northeast, Sugarbush's lift setup is perfect as is--the fast lifts get you out of the base, and then the real terrain worth skiing is accessed via slower lifts. It's a really good setup and doesn't need to be changed.

As for bubble chairs, I think that they are just a fad. Don't believe me? Look at Vail. They had bubbles on Riva Bahn and Vista Bahn when these lifts were originally installed in the 80's and both of bubbles since have been removed, leaving just plain chairlifts. I suspect once the bubbles get all scratched up here in the Northeast the same thing will happen.

machski

I agree that Sugarbush doesn't need a bubble chair or 6-pack. In fact, out of most resorts in the Northeast, Sugarbush's lift setup is perfect as is--the fast lifts get you out of the base, and then the real terrain worth skiing is accessed via slower lifts. It's a really good setup and doesn't need to be changed.

As for bubble chairs, I think that they are just a fad. Don't believe me? Look at Vail. They had bubbles on Riva Bahn and Vista Bahn when these lifts were originally installed in the 80's and both of bubbles since have been removed, leaving just plain chairlifts. I suspect once the bubbles get all scratched up here in the Northeast the same thing will happen.
That is because Katz was not CEO when the old bubble chairs went in. He is on record as saying he does not like them. Though he owns a few at Okemo now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Hard pass.

Just stop. The current uphill capacity is what makes the experience. A triple chair carries 1800 PPH vs. Castlerock which IIRC is at 600 PPH due to the chair spacing. If you don't think that dumping 3x more people into that pod would impact the skiing experience, the very essence of what Castlerock is and represents, I don't know what to tell you. If you want quantity over quality, go somewhere else.
Agree, the double is fine as is spacing wise. A bit more speed would be nice (I'm talking modest gain, upping it to Max allowed line speed for a FGD which it is not at right now) but not necessary. Spent most of my day lapping it today and never waited once. The space is nice, allows you to chat up the lift attendant unlike any other lift really.

machski

I wonder if converting it to a gondola (or bubble chair) would increase it's usage? Isn't the reason that it doesn't run, until there is sufficient snowpack underneath to allow rescue access, because of the risk of frost bite? Wouldn't that lower the risk?
Ok, anyone hoping maybe to see Gondola cabins on Slidebrook some day needs to do some history research. That is what LBO wanted when he initially proposed Slidebrook (well, he initially wanted it higher from the top of Castkerock to Upper Ellen. You can speculate what that would have meant). It was shot down by the local community if memory serves me because there would be too much glare up on the mountain from sun reflecting off the cabins. Hell, the final line was chosen to minimize it's appearance from the Valley. So no way in hell cabins ever get on that line.

A bubble chair would also bring up the dreaded glare issue. That could be minimized because they would need to build a storage barn for warranty purposes (plenty of room on Gatehouse side for one), allowing the chairs to be off the line whenever it wasn't in use. Not sure that would be an easier sell to the current generation in the Valley though. Don't let me stop you from dreaming, just realize that is what it is (beyond just ROI for the resort).

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if converting it to a gondola (or bubble chair) would increase it's usage? Isn't the reason that it doesn't run, until there is sufficient snowpack underneath to allow rescue access, because of the risk of frost bite? Wouldn't that lower the risk?

The reason they don’t run it is money. It’s expensive for the limited ridership they saw.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hard pass.

Just stop. The current uphill capacity is what makes the experience. A triple chair carries 1800 PPH vs. Castlerock which IIRC is at 600 PPH due to the chair spacing. If you don't think that dumping 3x more people into that pod would impact the skiing experience, the very essence of what Castlerock is and represents, I don't know what to tell you. If you want quantity over quality, go somewhere else.

Right. This is what makes Castlerock unique. It is kind of funny though considering that the whole reason for such limited uphill capacity was that they kept the original lift for so long. This area just simply dodged being modernized several times.

MorningWoods

Agree, the double is fine as is spacing wise. A bit more speed would be nice (I'm talking modest gain, upping it to Max allowed line speed for a FGD which it is not at right now) but not necessary. Spent most of my day lapping it today and never waited once. The space is nice, allows you to chat up the lift attendant unlike any other lift really.

Yeah. When I said that. I wasn’t talking full on triple, but didn’t want to get into it. I meant existing spacing and 1 more seat. Or chairs a little closer together. Can’t compare midweek to anything. Talking about weekends when most of the non local working stiffs have to ski. Just a few long @ss waits in a row got me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

The reason they don’t run it is money. It’s expensive for the limited ridership they saw.

I still don't understand this comment. They run it 7 days a week when conditions allow. Are you talking about present day or years ago when they only ran it weekends/holidays?

ducky

Quick subject change.

Excellent dinner at Sage tonight. Saw many locals and ski friends at the bar. Paul and Ana (owners) were both there greeting and keeping a watchful eye. I had the mussels, steak au poivre, and tiramisu.

Best of luck to them, this their first big weekend!!

cdskier

Quick subject change.

Excellent dinner at Sage tonight. Saw many locals and ski friends at the bar. Paul and Ana (owners) were both there greeting and keeping a watchful eye. I had the mussels, steak au poivre, and tiramisu.

Best of luck to them, this their first big weekend!!

Nice timing! Was just talking about Sage tonight and thinking about when we should go and check them out. Figured we would give them a few weeks to have a chance to hear some feedback from others around town.

benski

Thank you. We are out in Taos at the annual winter meeting of the Mountain Collective resorts. First time here and it is an awesome mountain. There is some really good steep terrain that can be accessed both by lifts and hiking. Skied Kachina Peak and the hamstring felt good 😄

I saw They had a big avalanche on the News. Did you see it?

WinS

Not true. May have once been the case, but it is scheduled to run everyday that Mount Ellen is open if we can. The only reason it will not run is insufficient snow depth to get snowmobiles in to the towers, cold, wind or a mechanical problem.

WinS

I saw They had a big avalanche on the News. Did you see it?

Yes, very sad. We skied Kachina Peak a couple of times while out there. I was surprised to hear of the avalanche because they only received a few inches of snow on Wednesday.

cdskier

Not true. May have once been the case, but it is scheduled to run everyday that Mount Ellen is open if we can. The only reason it will not run is insufficient snow depth to get snowmobiles in to the towers, cold, wind or a mechanical problem.

I often think thetrailboss is stuck in the past from when he was at Sugarbush years ago and just uses that information as "current" when many things have changed since he moved out west.

On another note...glad to see you posting. The Taos news was a little scary as I knew you said previously that you were skiing Kachina peak earlier this week.

mikec142

Re: changing anything about the CR lift. To me (and I'm sure to a ton of others) the allure of Castlerock is the terrain, the snow quality, and the lack of crowds. I skied Middle Earth several times this past Saturday and Sunday and I was the only one on the trail (or at least visible). For me, while I don't love standing in line, I do appreciate the chance to rest my legs.

Bottom line...Don't change a thing about CR.