• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

STREETSKIER

I was just a kid when I first started skiing here I came over from mad river one spring , skiing at north those years they were battling Killy I met a bunch of locals and skied fis and a ribbon down looking good or hike to elbow
. One of the guys asked me my name he looked at me and said you have to get a pass here I spent the spring (may)with this crew and took his advice that was 40 years ago the skier was John Egan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheArchitect

I was actually there, literally behind these two, and your description is not what happened at all. Nobody got pushed down. Frankly the guy in front did not have his skis on and the guy behind did and was ready to go. The skiers that were waiting for friends were standing aside and the guy behind with his GF asked if he could pass and the guy in front said, "yes, I do mind, I was here first." To which the guy behind pointed out the other's skis were not on and tried make his way past. The first guy blocked his way, made a big fuss and put his skis on and went first.

2 minutes later, the guy in front was complaining to patrol in the shack when the guy who tried to push past walked in and totally apologized. In the end the air was clear and all was good. Frankly, the guy who tried to get past totally took responsibility and was quite honorable.

Probably, both guys acted out of character and regret the whole thing.

My apologies, ducky. I read it quickly and missed "just about" with regard to him being pushed. Sorry for the confusion. With your description of what happened I agree, the guy should have moved over.

TheArchitect

There is no denying there are plenty of people with the entitled, God’s gift to skiing attitude at Sugarbush, especially on a powder day. Now that I think of it, plenty of people on here have that attitude. Guess that’s why this thread gets so much action!

It gets a lot of action because of how great the mountain is. The attitude you speak of is more prevalent up at Stowe, IMO, but it's also being expressed more in general. People feeling entitled isn't anything new but what IS new is that in the current culture people seem to think you can say and do rude things without getting in trouble. I don't want to go into politics here

jaybird

It's a sign of the times and the dearth of snow doesn't help.
Being considerate doesn't involve politics.
It's just the right thing to do.
You want to see some rude skiers, hit Europe sometime.
Sugarbush is pretty tame.

Cant wait to ski birch tomorrow :spin:

Hawk

This is all very foreign to me. I have never seen any of these tactics on my way to Castlerock and I have gone there at least 2 or 3 times a weekend for the past few weeks not to mention past years. I would bet that the people that had the attitude were not from the valley. Most people here are very courteous and friendly. Also this whole entitlement thing it do not understand. I think that people that come here and draw these kinds of conclusions, do so because they have a predetermined perception. I came here 15 years ago and was taken in immediately by the community. Now I know probably 50% of the regulars by name and probably another 25% by face. My perception is that this valley is way more friendly than any other area I have skied. Places like Killington, Stowe and several of the NY areas I skied were more like that to me but In general I just ignore Assholes and ski away. I am not in the mountains to deal with people like that.

ducky

From today's snow report...

Castlerock is open for hiking from Paradise 10AM - 3PM. Be respectful of other travelers. The route via the Long Trail is narrow. Please step to the side and allow faster folks to pass.

slatham

From today's snow report...

Castlerock is open for hiking from Paradise 10AM - 3PM. Be respectful of other travelers. The route via the Long Trail is narrow. Please step to the side and allow faster folks to pass.

This is proper Long Trail hiking etiquette. Should apply regardless of season.

MorningWoods

It gets a lot of action because of how great the mountain is. The attitude you speak of is more prevalent up at Stowe, IMO, but it's also being expressed more in general. People feeling entitled isn't anything new but what IS new is that in the current culture people seem to think you can say and do rude things without getting in trouble. I don't want to go into politics here

I hiked it 2x today, it was crowded in the morning but people were nothing but courteous. This has been my experience for the past 20 years. The only time people get snarky with each other is on this board. [emoji23]Lift line skied great. A little sticky at the bottom, especially on the run out, but a small price to pay IMHO.

Orca

Oh so good to be out there today! Paradise was especially fun. I was thinking of hiking to Castlerock just for the fun of cursing abusively and shoving people in my way into the snow, but well you can't do everything in one day

Hawk

3 labs today on Castlerock. Middle Earth, Lift Line and then liftline- hi-lo-castlerock-cotillion-cats paw-liftline finsh. Run of the day.........Liftline! really good snow.

Griswold

How many of you literally ski next to each other alone and have no interest in skiing together? I don’t get the point of these forums. Is it just to come on here and throw out opinions or some conditions report? Add in the fact that there are like 5 other forums with the same members posting the exact same things with the exact same people responding and it starts seem ridiculous to me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ducky

I hiked up to top of FIS yesterday around 9:30 and it was indeed white but not really ready. I have skied FIS in much worse conditions however.
In years of being on skimrv before here, think I only know one or two people in person.
B7D1AA9B-93DB-4511-BF14-9A256A0EDBCC.jpg

djd66

How many of you literally ski next to each other alone and have no interest in skiing together? I don’t get the point of these forums. Is it just to come on here and throw out opinions or some conditions report? Add in the fact that there are like 5 other forums with the same members posting the exact same things with the exact same people responding and it starts seem ridiculous to me.

What are the other forums?

Personally, there are a lot of very funny people on here I enjoy reading. Then there are the ski God types,... they make me laugh too

Orca

This is a re-post of thetrailboss from another thread focused on the effect of Vermont's governmental posture and taxes on the economic vibrancy of the state. It is the most thoughtful post I have read on this forum. Certainly worth the time to read.

Bottom line is I can live very well here on a decent salary in a vacation paradise and still be productive in life and raise kids. What could be better than that? Virtually anywhere else that has this kind of access to outdoor recreation (skiing, hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, etc) is expensive, devoid of legit job opportunities, isolated from quality cultural and medical facilities, or is not a great place to live year round.

I used to think the same, but once I got out and traveled I found a lot of places that have all of these things and lower costs of living and better income and career potential. I'm living in one area now.

That “premium” I spoke of before is the quality of life here, it has value. I would have to be a very wealthy man to live this way anywhere else.

I get this as well, but again, my question was how does paying high taxes contribute to this quality of life? It doesn't in fact. Vermont's infrastructure is in shambles because lawmakers from Chittenden county decided that VTrans should not determine what roads need work and they instead shifted control and money to Chittenden County. Look at Route 2. I won't comment about the complete lack of oversight and accountability by Vermont's government the last 10 years other than to say that there is a lot of conflicts of interest, self-dealing, and complete fraud. The attitude is that just because such deals benefit the "left" it is OK. Well, that doesn't make this kind of behavior acceptable. Need I remind folks about the EB-5 scandal? What sensible investor would ever invest in a Vermont business after that debacle?

While I agree that some schools are very good, the fact is that most of Vermont's are not doing that "great" compared to the national average, and when considering the amount of money spent. I'm sure you have read the many articles about how schools are closing and consolidating because of costs. And, most disappointing, the State took over education funding in the late 1990's thanks to the Brigham decision in order to provide all kids with the same opportunities. Now more than 20 years later, guess what? The "gold towns" still have great schools while the rest of the towns are struggling. Here is one article on school performance in Vermont by Art Woolf, and before anyone labels him as "far-right", realize that he is Governor Kunin's former Chief Economist for the State back in the 1980's: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com...ent-test-results-arent-worth-money/525909002/

As to post-secondary education, outside of Middlebury, UVM (to some extent), Norwich, St. Mike's, and Champlain College, schools are really struggling. Vermont lost how many colleges last year? At least three by my count. Vermont's state colleges are grossly underfunded and they are slowly being consolidated and cut back so far that at least Johnson or Lyndon will probably soon be gone. Not good.

Last comment is that the "high quality of life" and community that you and many love is not because of the work of highly-paid bureaucrats, but by people in the community who genuinely care and volunteer to make things better for everyone. Since you said you're from Vermont (like me) you probably get it and honestly you sound like a "doer" in your community. But the truth is that these types of folks have died or left. I'm not the Wolf of Wall Street or some ruthless businessman who only cares about money. I'm a Scout leader. I volunteer with my local community council. I mentor kids who are interested in a career like mine. I do lots of community service projects. I interview kids for my (Vermont) college alma mater. I donate money to many Vermont groups and organizations. I honestly try to be a good citizen and yes, we do pretty well thanks to our hard work. But ten years ago when I contacted my Rep who was the Whip in the Vermont House about concerns about increasing taxes and pushing more young people and other "contributors" out, I was told that "only revenue mattered." So guess what? Ten years later Vermont is struggling much more because "revenue" is down, communities are losing volunteers and other organizations because nobody wants to volunteer or can volunteer, there is a huge drug problem throughout the state, the State cannot adequately fund its public colleges or maintain its roads, and schools are shutting down or consolidating because there are not enough kids to justify costs. What I feared came pretty much true. And now the State lost our "revenue" and our community lost our hours volunteering and other benefits we provided to everyone else. Needless to say, our new area appreciates both.

So it's great that you have a good gig. Good for you. But I think folks do need to take a critical look at what is going on and what needs to change if Vermont is going to be sustainable. Though Orca's posts are attention-grabbing they do raise a legitimate point to be discussed and not dismissed.

And one last comment: the worst part of the situation is that those who can make a difference in the legislature are not at all looking at the underlying problems seriously. Instead, they go on tangents and focus on missions that although are noble are not really pressing at all. The first bill introduced for the session dealt not with these big issues of demographic challenges but instead on "decriminalizing sex work." Nero continues to play the fiddle while Rome burns. :roll:

MorningWoods

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Just a group of people who are passionate about skiing who like to share thoughts and opinions and directly interact with a very engaged owner. More of a lurker than a poster, but I’ve enjoyed the differences of opinions feedback, intel and general banter. If you don’t get that forums probably aren’t for you.

P.S. not having pizza soul in the village totally sux. I hope Jason is doing ok in the valley, but i wish there was a closer pizza option for last minute meals and convenience

teleo

P.S. not having pizza soul in the village totally sux. I hope Jason is doing ok in the valley, but i wish there was a closer pizza option for last minute meals and convenience

+1
Pizza Soul was so much more useful than an expanded realty office. Jason seemed to be doing well when I stopped in to chat last week. Apparently they wouldn't renew the lease or something like that. He said he never would have abandoned the village.
Good luck to him.

djd66

Just a group of people who are passionate about skiing who like to share thoughts and opinions and directly interact with a very engaged owner. More of a lurker than a poster, but I’ve enjoyed the differences of opinions feedback, intel and general banter. If you don’t get that forums probably aren’t for you.

+1 on the Pizza Soul! He was the “Soul of the Village”. Quite honestly, it really sucks if they upped his rent so much that he had to move. I would love to know the story and if there is any way to get the guy back up to the Village. If they did up his rent, that was pretty stupid, as the guy brought a ton of value to the aging village.