• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Orca

A buddy of mine says SB was a sh*t show today. Horrible lift lines, super crowded trails, overrun lodges. He said everyone was talking IKON on the lift. Anyone else have any observations to report?

MorningWoods

The "Sugarbush Thread"

A buddy of mine says SB was a sh*t show today. Horrible lift lines, super crowded trails, overrun lodges. He said everyone was talking IKON on the lift. Anyone else have any observations to report?

It was busy. No woods in play and very thin natural trails had all the traffic on the groomers. Layer in the report that GMX would be down and I think you had some extra stress. But sh!t show. That’s a stretch. I got a bunch of skiing in before 10. Lines were long between 10-1. But never outrageous. I think people just like to B!tch. I went to Rumbles $20 all you can eat and got a table for 7 at noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

It was busy. No woods in play and very thin natural trails had all the traffic on the groomers. Layer in the report that GMX would be down and I think you had some extra stress. But sh!t show. That’s a stretch. I got a bunch of skiing in before 10. Lines were long between 10-1. But never outrageous. I think people just like to B!tch. I went to Rumbles $20 all you can eat and got a table for 7 at noon.

Agree with this. I think the fact that gmx planned to be down definitely shifted some extra people to LP. Lines were long by sugarbush standards, but I still never waited more than 10 minutes even so. Getting woods in play will definitely help disburse crowds better too.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

How are woods not in play? Mad river is fully open and I was skiing strattons woods yesterday. They were a little thin but totally skiable with rock skis.

Worst thing about Lincoln peak is that most woods are so low elevation except for heavens gate... I’d assume the mount Ellen woods are fine?

MorningWoods

How are woods not in play? Mad river is fully open and I was skiing strattons woods yesterday. They were a little thin but totally skiable with rock skis.

Worst thing about Lincoln peak is that most woods are so low elevation except for heavens gate... I’d assume the mount Ellen woods are fine?

Not in play for vast majority of people that don’t carry multiple pairs of skis or have the skills to navigate thin cover. I knew when I posted that there would be a flurry of posts about how “I’m skiing the woods”. I just don’t think that is a representative sample of the people you need to ski in the woods to thin the traffic.

cdskier

Not in play for vast majority of people that don’t carry multiple pairs of skis or have the skills to navigate thin cover. I knew when I posted that there would be a flurry of posts about how “I’m skiing the woods”. I just don’t think that is a representative sample of the people you need to ski in the woods to thin the traffic.

Completely agree with you. There’s a distinct difference between being skiable for the hardcore tree skiers vs being enjoyable enough for normal people to the point where it gets people off the trails. I was in the woods a bit both yesterday and today. I don’t blame most people at all for not being in there. I don’t like having to be quite that cautious. Definitely thin and lots of things to watch out for. I’m sure higher elevations are better, but those are also tighter at LP so they don’t pull in as wide of an audience.

Usually I see tons of people going into and coming out of the woods. I didn’t see that yesterday so that tells me I’m not exactly crazy and neither is morningwoods.

Ps...we really lucked out with this storm I think. Skiing very well today. This denser stuff is good for the base. Also empty out here compared to yesterday. And yet conditions are better. Go figure...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Woods are always in play they just suck and only an idiot would ski them thsnks

Last edited:

Orca

Woods right now are a mixed bag. Snowpack is thin. Depends on the woods.

You'll have the most fun if you are willing to let your skis get acquainted with rocks, logs, dirt, and moss. It is that type of January.

ducky

None of the locals are in the woods yet. Even the skimo groups are staying away. Patrol doesn't want to be in there either.

WinS

Let me get ahead of rumors. Starting tomorrow we will be running Inverness instead of GMX on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday instead of GMX. It will open at 8am as will Northridge. As you know the lift was struck by lightning this summer and neither Poma nor their subcontractor AB&B has come up with a solution. As you know we have been running on diesel since opening day. However, this is stressing the lift, and we do not like transporting diesel fuel up the mountain every day risking a spill. If we can not get a solution we will plan to install a drive. In the meantime running GMX three days less each day is a good solution. We understand that we are adding some minutes to accessing the upper mountain, but that can be done as you know by riding Inverness and taking Northridge Expressway over to the Northridge chair. Having Northridge open a 8am means you only have to ride Inverness once if you wish. We will clear GMX every day as a back-up. We apologize for this but we think it is the best solution in the near term when we have the lightest visitations at ME.

BenedictGomez

we have been running on diesel since opening day. However, this is stressing the lift, and we do not like transporting diesel fuel up the mountain every day risking a spill.

Curious how many gallons of diesel per day does it take to run a lift?

bdfreetuna

Let me get ahead of rumors. Starting tomorrow we will be running Inverness instead of GMX on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday instead of GMX. It will open at 8am as will Northridge. As you know the lift was struck by lightning this summer and neither Poma nor their subcontractor AB&B has come up with a solution. As you know we have been running on diesel since opening day. However, this is stressing the lift, and we do not like transporting diesel fuel up the mountain every day risking a spill. If we can not get a solution we will plan to install a drive. In the meantime running GMX three days less each day is a good solution. We understand that we are adding some minutes to accessing the upper mountain, but that can be done as you know by riding Inverness and taking Northridge Expressway over to the Northridge chair. Having Northridge open a 8am means you only have to ride Inverness once if you wish. We will clear GMX every day as a back-up. We apologize for this but we think it is the best solution in the near term when we have the lightest visitations at ME.

That's cool really a minor inconvenience IMO... nice to have a back up plan that works

WinS

Curious how many gallons of diesel per day does it take to run a lift?

Approximately 100. GMX has two diesel motors. That is why we are able to run it and at about the same speed as on electical. One motor runs the lift and the other is the auxiliary.

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

I don’t care where you ski or what you ski on Go for itISent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

I don’t care where you ski or what you ski on I don’t like trashing my gear I use it too much it’s the weekend chumps pounding the bare ground and then bragging about it there has not has been safe or decent tree skiing yet

you already posted "only an idiot would ski them". Again, MRG has 100% terrain open next door with zero snowmaking. Maybe you're not a great technical skier in the woods... that's fine