• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

I’m pretty sure most of the parts have already been manufactured, at least that’s the case with most of the cancelled or delayed projects this year. It’s more about the shipment and installation crews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhskier1969

WIn, I noticed the Chairs as still up on Bravo and Valley house. Anyway Sugarbush is holding out hope for one more weekend? Maybe the 2nd weekend of May.

skiur

WIn, I noticed the Chairs as still up on Bravo and Valley house. Anyway Sugarbush is holding out hope for one more weekend? Maybe the 2nd weekend of May.

Being that Vermonts stay at home order is until may 15th I don't think it's up to Win.

deadheadskier

Staff member
NH is May 4th for now, but Sununu indicates today when he extended the remote learning for the balance of the school year the stay at home is likely to be extended next week.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
I expect a middle of May date at minimum unless the numbers down in Mass improve drastically in the next week. NH has faired fairly well. I've had a number of order cancellations in the past week because my hospital partners feel we won't get much of a surge up here. They were panicking two weeks ago, but have calmed down a lot since. The virus is still raging just to the South of us though. Mass has quickly climbed to having the fourth most deaths in the country. Until they level off, I expect Sununu to be quite cautious

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

WinS

Being that Vermonts stay at home order is until may 15th I don't think it's up to Win.

Unfortunately, this won’t happen. Governor is having a press conference at 11am on Friday so we might know more about how things will be allowed to reopen is the trend stays positive.

WinS

They are up because all our employees are at home. We are hoping jobs like lift maintenance will be allowed to resume before too much longer as they area able to work at the proper social distancing.

Hawk

What does that mean. "Chairs as still up" ? Are you saying they have not removed the chairs from the cables?

mikec142

What does that mean. "Chairs as still up" ? Are you saying they have not removed the chairs from the cables?

Just looked at the web cams now...first off, it's flurrying. Second, yes, the chairs are still on the cables on SB and VH. Also on GMX.

tumbler

They are up because all our employees are at home. We are hoping jobs like lift maintenance will be allowed to resume before too much longer as they area able to work at the proper social distancing.

Wearing proper PPE like mask, glasses and gloves will allow you to work closer than 6'

nhskier1969

The only reason I was asking was, Sugarbushs website says "we are suspending operations." It didn't say we are closing for the season. There are quite a few New England ski resorts are saying on their website closed for the season. Then I saw the lifts still had chairs on them.

Hawk

Correct me if I am wrong but Sugarbush does not remove the chairs from the cables unless they do maintenance. Which does not happen most years. Also Bravo has to be up and running on typical years by June for the mountain biking and Summer lift access so that is why I did not understand your question.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Correct me if I am wrong but Sugarbush does not remove the chairs from the cables unless they do maintenance. Which does not happen most years. Also Bravo has to be up and running on typical years by June for the mountain biking and Summer lift access so that is why I did not understand your question.

A certain % of chairs have to be removed from fixed-grip lifts each off season.

I was very concerned when this started about chairlifts, and not seeing anything spinning on any webcam I looked at. A month without maintenance is fine, but if that grows to 2-3 months you're getting into trouble. Lots of things need to happen in the off-season at a big place like Sugarbush. Chairs taken off the line, hundreds of detachable grips rebuilt, sheave wheels greased, and a lot more stuff that's wayyyy beyond my level of mechanical comprehension.

cdskier

I could have sworn I've always seen at least some chairs taken off of SB and GH every year. Here's what I found online about detachable lift maintenance that seems in line with what I remember hearing in the past.

Every year 20% of the chairs get removed from the lift so they can be fully inspected and the grip gets rebuilt. This ensures that each chair gets done once every 5 years.

Slidebrook87

7a20de96bb7a65ec4ff2e6ecfbe4a346.jpg

This was 4/19 last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk