• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I live in that general area. Those trails were created and maintained for years by the local land owners. I heard that the mountain might get involved over there a bit but I have not seen or heard anything actually happened with Sugarbush parks. I was assuming with the current crisis that it got dropped for the foreseeable future.

TSQURD

I live in that general area. Those trails were created and maintained for years by the local land owners. I heard that the mountain might get involved over there a bit but I have not seen or heard anything actually happened with Sugarbush parks. I was assuming with the current crisis that it got dropped for the foreseeable future.

The trail that was there has been bull dozed into a smooth 4' wide jump trail. The 'new' trail is fun, but its really disappointing that the old school technical trail was flattened to create it. Really hope if there are plans to extend the new trail it can be done in a way that doesn't ruin the excellent trails that are already there.

Hawk

Where exactly does the new trail start and end up? There are actually several routes you can take starting from the upper most concrete vessel on Village Run all the way down to club sugarbush. Interesting.

TSQURD

UFO is gone. It’s been plowed from the gnome tree down. The bottom has been rerouted to above the gate on Norm Robinson Rd. The bridge before the little climb to club Sugarbush has been removed. They also dozed smooth parts of the snowshoe trail to create a climbing route back to the gnome tree. Everything above shady lane hasn’t been touched. I don’t believe they are planning to smooth any more, at least not this year.

Last edited:

cdskier

Mad River Riders did give a shout-out earlier this summer on social media to Sugarbush Parks for putting in the jump trail off Shady Lane...so they were involved at least with that specific part.

TSQURD

I don’t think mrr was involved much with the new trail, beyond adding it to the trail map - Trevor and a crew from Sugarbush did all of the work

cdskier

I don’t think mrr was involved much with the new trail, beyond adding it to the trail map - Trevor and a crew from Sugarbush did all of the work

Sorry that wasn't clear in my post. My "they were involved" was referring to Sugarbush Parks, not MRR. MRR just gave the shout-out. I didn't mean to imply anything beyond that done by MRR for this specific section that we're talking about.

ducky

Anyone read about Stowe doing a reservation-only plan this winter with priority given to pass holders?

But the most important change is that for your safety, we will be managing mountain access this season with a new reservation system that gives pass holders priority access. We know this season will be different, but we want to give you peace of mind knowing you’ll have the space you need at our resort.

cdskier

Anyone read about Stowe doing a reservation-only plan this winter with priority given to pass holders?

But the most important change is that for your safety, we will be managing mountain access this season with a new reservation system that gives pass holders priority access. We know this season will be different, but we want to give you peace of mind knowing you’ll have the space you need at our resort.

I'm fully expecting something similar from Alterra...

HowieT2

UFO is gone. It’s been plowed from the gnome tree down. The bottom has been rerouted to above the gate on Norm Robinson Rd. The bridge before the little climb to club Sugarbush has been removed. They also dozed smooth parts of the snowshoe trail to create a climbing route back to the gnome tree. Everything above shady lane hasn’t been touched. I don’t believe they are planning to smooth any more, at least not this year.

when did this happen? I rode from shady lane down to club sugarbush July 4th week and didn’t notice anything.
fwiw-I’ve been biking rocky rooty old school technical trails for 30 years. I love the new smooth flow trails. So much fun. There are plenty of old technical trails to kill myself on.

HowieT2

I'm fully expecting something similar from Alterra...
Agreed.
upon returning to my office after the lockdown we were presented with a laundry list of new rules and restrictions, including but not limited to, being instructed to close the lid on the toilet before flushing so as not to spread the virus. It took about a day to get used. Totally normal now. New normal but no big deal. I suspect, and hope, the changes to our skiing routines will be similarly easy. Except for eating lunch in a crowded cafeteria and drinking in a packed indoor bar for apres, which won’t happen at all.
im thinking of getting some kind of pop up tent or something for tailgating.

Hawk

We are planning apre at our condo outside on most Saturdays Howie. You know where we are. We are thinking fire pit and some other shinanigans. Come by.

TSQURD

when did this happen? I rode from shady lane down to club sugarbush July 4th week and didn’t notice anything.
fwiw-I’ve been biking rocky rooty old school technical trails for 30 years. I love the new smooth flow trails. So much fun. There are plenty of old technical trails to kill myself on.

It was definitely started by the week of the 4th, they had from the middle down finished and were working on the climb around then. After they finished the climb they went back and did from the gnome tree down to where they had started. This one isn't like swell or evo II, this one is more like a BMX track going down hill.

I agree the new style of trail definitely can be fun, but it is certainly a different kind of riding. IMO, its disappointing that old school tech is getting ripped out for the new stuff, and this isn't the first flow trail to replace a tech trail in the area. Dont like the direction this is heading, ripping up a groomer occasionally is a blast, but I wouldn't want to spend my full day doing that either. Be nice to see a real tech trail get built along with the flow stuff. Looking at the some of the strava segment names for these new trails, there are others that feel this way too

HowieT2

It was definitely started by the week of the 4th, they had from the middle down finished and were working on the climb around then. After they finished the climb they went back and did from the gnome tree down to where they had started. This one isn't like swell or evo II, this one is more like a BMX track going down hill.

I agree the new style of trail definitely can be fun, but it is certainly a different kind of riding. IMO, its disappointing that old school tech is getting ripped out for the new stuff, and this isn't the first flow trail to replace a tech trail in the area. Dont like the direction this is heading, ripping up a groomer occasionally is a blast, but I wouldn't want to spend my full day doing that either. Be nice to see a real tech trail get built along with the flow stuff. Looking at the some of the strava segment names for these new trails, there are others that feel this way too
I hear what your saying. Ideally I like to mix my ride. Like in camels hump, do swell hill to evo 2, then over to clinic to gs up enchanted forest, cyclone to evo and revolution. But there’s plenty of technical and the new flowy trails bring a good balance. And they open the sport to a much larger audience who would hate doing technical.

Hawk

The mix that all the different MTB groups are bringing is good. For the record the individuals that originally built the trails from village run down were not impressed that their original "vision" for those trails was reworked. I can understand that but change always happens. As long as new trails and maintenance is ongoing I am happy. It really amazes me that Sugarbush has not made several cross country loops around the base area. All of the terrain from Snow Creek to the bottom of Eden over to the bottom of castle rock over to the gate house area and over to above the old village could all be made into a fairly reasonable cross country loop with manageable climbs and rolly terrain. They could tie it into the trails over at Village run and then off you go to Eurich Pond and Swell hill and Plum Line. That would be a hell of a ride.

MorningWoods

Yeah. I feel the same way. It’s a mile of trail. So grand scheme of things doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Plenty of tech stuff to ride and assume tech trails will continue to grow at an even faster clip. Yes, I rode the trails that were there prior. I am not a COVID biker :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MorningWoods

I assumed it means he didnt pick up biking during the pandemic.

Red mtn added to Icon. Great ski mountain.

Correct. There are a lot of new bikers out there. Probably get a great deal on a bike in about a years time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

LOL. I didn't know if you were saying that you have not ridden up there because of covid. "not a covid rider"

You are 100% correct. The last ride I did in the MVR was a few weeks ago and we ran into at least a few people that were lost looking for directions on Brand new bikes.