• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mister moose

Same here on the low flying Air National Guard - also had them in close proximity on North Twin Mt a few summers ago. . . they were practicing maneuvers and what a show that was at 4300 feet. Felt like it was just for me and my hiking buds.
That area is within the Yankee One Military Operation Area, so military traffic there is expected. Lots of MOAs around the country. My cousin lives in an area of Virginia where they practice low level flight. One passing overhead at ~200 feet is pulse stopping.

djd66

Anybody know what the deal is with John Egan? I am heard a rumor he is not with the company anymore.

machski

mikec142

Anybody know what the deal is with John Egan? I am heard a rumor he is not with the company anymore.

That would be a major bummer for me. Every year, I say I'm gonna take a lesson/tour with him and my plans always seem to get screwed up. Would love to do a guided tour through Slidebrook with him.

djd66

That would be a major bummer for me. Every year, I say I'm gonna take a lesson/tour with him and my plans always seem to get screwed up. Would love to do a guided tour through Slidebrook with him.

I heard this from a couple of people. Apparently there is a letter writing campaign going on to Rusty(CEO of Altera) to see if they will reconsider this move.

Hawk

Flag may have stayed, but the squadron nickname Green Mountain Boys had to go. At least the Boys part, what I had heard is the squadron got a female commander who took offense at Boys in the squad Nickname.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Their official website has has that video that was posted on here earlier that still has the Green mountain boys name in the title of the video. It is recent so whatever you heard is not been taken seriously. Also if you do a search on it, nothing comes up as news. You would think it would show up. I don't care what people think, I will always call them the Green Mountain Boys.

Hawk

Crickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I heard was that "management", I am not sure if that means John Hammond or not, eliminated that position that Winn gave him. What was it, VP of Fun or something? To date they have not offered or given him a new position. I think with Ski School being such a question mark they did not want to commit the full time position dollars to him? I can't confirm what they were thinking. I will have more once I talk to people this weekend. I bet he gets a pass at MRG.

Hawk

Either way, he is Sugarbush and deserves to be employed there. He has spent most of his later years promoting this mountain. I will miss seeing him out on the hill if he is actually gone.

cdskier

What I heard was that "management", I am not sure if that means John Hammond or not, eliminated that position that Winn gave him. What was it, VP of Fun or something? To date they have not offered or given him a new position. I think with Ski School being such a question mark they did not want to commit the full time position dollars to him? I can't confirm what they were thinking. I will have more once I talk to people this weekend. I bet he gets a pass at MRG.

"Chief Recreational Officer" was the official title he had. I'd bet MRG as well. And I'm assuming that was what mtl1076 was implying (especially if mtl1076 is who I think he is).

Either way, he is Sugarbush and deserves to be employed there. He has spent most of his later years promoting this mountain. I will miss seeing him out on the hill if he is actually gone.

Agreed.

djd66

Completely agree. All that he has done to promote SB over the years, I think it’s complete BS that they let him go at this stage in his career. No idea what he was getting paid, but it will be tough for MRG to match SB money I’m sure.

Cobbold

Completely agree. All that he has done to promote SB over the years, I think it’s complete BS that they let him go at this stage in his career. No idea what he was getting paid, but it will be tough for MRG to match SB money I’m sure.

Another mistake by alterra, people rave about alterra but in my eyes they make mistake after mistake, this is another example, Eagan brothers are huge, would not be shocked if he ends up at Stowe for all their back country skiing. One less reason for me to ski sugarbush without the Eagan’s their.

Hawk

Another mistake by alterra, people rave about alterra but in my eyes they make mistake after mistake, this is another example, Eagan brothers are huge, would not be shocked if he ends up at Stowe for all their back country skiing. One less reason for me to ski sugarbush without the Eagan’s their.

It's just John at Sugarbush. Dan does extreme clinics and spends most of his time at Big Sky, Jackson and Squaw.

mikec142

One less reason for me to ski sugarbush without the Eagan’s their.

Frustrating for sure. And I'm happy to be part of any letter writing campaign directed at keeping Egan there. But I'm not writing SB off in any way. Will it be different without John and Win? I'm sure it will. Will it be better or worse (or the same)? That remains to be seen. Going to a corporate owner will change things. Just not sure which direction it will be. So, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy SB the same way I've done in the past. I'm going to cherish the vibe, the terrain, the people, and the feeling I have when I'm there.

1dog

Frustrating for sure. And I'm happy to be part of any letter writing campaign directed at keeping Egan there. But I'm not writing SB off in any way. Will it be different without John and Win? I'm sure it will. Will it be better or worse (or the same)? That remains to be seen. Going to a corporate owner will change things. Just not sure which direction it will be. So, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy SB the same way I've done in the past. I'm going to cherish the vibe, the terrain, the people, and the feeling I have when I'm there.
ditto

Cobbold

This has a deer valley feel to it, bob wheaton left deer valley after alterra bought it and lots of skiers think deer valley has lost some of their mojo, looks like mojo loss coming up for sugarbush

tumbler

This has a deer valley feel to it, bob wheaton left deer valley after alterra bought it and lots of skiers think deer valley has lost some of their mojo, looks like mojo loss coming up for sugarbush

This will undoubtedly happen regardless if Egan is gone (which does suck btw). It went from a private hands on, present owner to a corporation. As long as it does not become homogeneous like the Vail model it will be ok. The terrain is not changing and hopefully it snows.