• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

the type of people to participate in an online community forum probably skew towards the 'get off my lawn' variant and don't necessarily represent the broad community view. tho maybe they do all hate us. i dunno. they've got plenty of their own covid and they sure like ny, nj, ma, ct money at their seasonal businesses
I'm inclined to agree that people like "Sarah" don't represent the broad community view. There's also a lot of non-local transplants that live (and work) up there full time including some of the valley business owners, so realistically a lot of "outsiders" are already part of the community.

Slidebrook87

Why doesn’t “Sarah” try running sugarbush for a year without out of staters. Let’s see how well that goes. She’ll be the same one bitching about the shuttered businesses in the valley a year from now.

djd66

And game wardens are hardly any sort of enforcement of covid travel policies. I may be wrong (doubt I am), but I imagine there is another reason for your friends situation.
I am not sure what the reason was,.. All I know is his car was parked in the driveway and the game warden stopped in front of his house, got out of the truck and took down his license plate number. This friend was not hunting and doesn't have guns.

Hawk

I know at least 5 people exactly like Sara personally that live in the valley. Three of them are so call locals and two are transplants. I also know many people in the valley that are calm and collected about this whole thing and fell there can be a common ground that will allow people from out of state to ski. I tend to walk away from the Sara types and just ignore them. Their paranoia is not my problem.

JimG.

Staff member
Sorry I helped get us onto the Sarah track; Hawk is right, lets keep this thread more positive.

jimmywilson69

one last thing on Karen, I mean Sarah.

She probably doesn't want out of staters in her playground without COVID. Those types live in every place that relies on tourists to fuel the economy.

I hope SB can get open soon this shitty year is propagating itself into a shitty start to ski season...

KustyTheKlown

eh, i dont really think this thread has been 'politics' the past few pages, nor contentious. we're talking about the reality we live in as it relates to sugarbush and a specific piece of sugarbush related content that came out yesterday.

anyway, fucking snow already jesus crips.

Blurski

VT Game Wardens are fully certified law enforcement officers that can arrest anyone who is violating any state laws, anywhere in the state.
Just not their focus.

HowieT2

I don't think it sounded bad at all:
  • Significantly limiting # of lift tickets sold, "a high capacity day will look like a really busy Friday"
    • Focus is on passholders. (Same deal at MRG, 75% of season passes purchased there are VT residents or ppl who moved up for the season.)
    • This is also dependent upon the amount of terrain open
  • Your car is your base area. Lodge access will be available but limited to 50% of fire code or 75 people in a give space maximum.
    • Castlerock, the big room (forget the name), and the cafeteria room will all function as their own spaces within Gatehouse Lodge @ South. Same deal for GML.
  • If you bought a SB pass or an Ikon pass it's been deactivated and you'll need to fill out the SB attestation form to get it reactivated.
  • New lift loading methodology. No multiple merging lanes this year - will go by callouts instead. (Referenced a return to how it was done in the 90's, "ghost lines") For those familiar it sounded similar to what they do on the Lincoln Express lift at Loon?
  • No midweek access to Allyn's lodge
  • No anticipated changes to uphill travel rules
  • They bought a bunch of new picnic tables and outdoor space heaters for South patio. Also opening a foodtruck down by the schoolhouse, "802 Burrito"
  • ALL food orders will be done online. Same goes for marking a reservation for indoor dining.
  • Designated mandatory mask areas (basically the entire base area unless you're seated and actively eating)
Honestly, anyone who gets to the mtn early and is OK w/ either eating at their car or skiing thru lunch and calling it quits early should be fine. RIP Apres, but we all knew that a loooong time ago.
That all sounds ok and in line with what we already knew. Now if we can just get some cold temps and snow for gods sake.
personally- I have a real issue resisting the french fries when I stop for lunch, so maybe this will help me cut a few pounds off me belly.

anyone have any insight into running a crock pot or what not off the outlet in a truck? thinking maybe I can fill it with chili, remote start the truck while im skiing and have it hot when I get there.

KustyTheKlown

That all sounds ok and in line with what we already knew. Now if we can just get some cold temps and snow for gods sake.
personally- I have a real issue resisting the french fries when I stop for lunch, so maybe this will help me cut a few pounds off me belly.

anyone have any insight into running a crock pot or what not off the outlet in a truck? thinking maybe I can fill it with chili, remote start the truck while im skiing and have it hot when I get there.

its all about assorted meats cheeses and baby food fruit squishy packs in your pockets, covid times or not. hot food is for apres.

HowieT2

as noted there were a ton of questions from one person about out of stater's etc. It wasn't predominant across the whole audience. That said, there is a vocal group that feels that way and it was a good forum to try to ease their concerns. Nothing short of closure will likely make most of that group happy though.

And game wardens are hardly any sort of enforcement of covid travel policies. I may be wrong (doubt I am), but I imagine there is another reason for your friends situation.
fwiw-this hate the foreigner thing is pretty ubiquitous and in no way confined to the MRV and/or VT. Same thing heard from locals wherever the city folk retreated to.

mikec142

VT Game Wardens are fully certified law enforcement officers that can arrest anyone who is violating any state laws, anywhere in the state.
Just not their focus.
Can a person be arrested or fined for not following the QT rules? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen that.

HowieT2

its all about assorted meats cheeses and baby food fruit squishy packs in your pockets, covid times or not. hot food is for apres.
well, we'll see what you prefer when I'm dining on a hot bowl of chili on my tailgate. I make a pretty good chili.

mbedle

Not sure you are going to get enough watts out of that outlet to heat up a crock pot.

HowieT2

I am not sure what the reason was,.. All I know is his car was parked in the driveway and the game warden stopped in front of his house, got out of the truck and took down his license plate number. This friend was not hunting and doesn't have guns.
fwiw- This summer, my wife and I were driving to go paddling when I passed a police car going the opposite direction on the way into the launch site. We pulled the truck into a spot to unload the boards/kayak when we saw the police car pull a uturn and make a bee line back towards us. he pulled in diagonally behind us as I was in the bed unloading the kayak. I was like, oh shit, what did I do. Then the cop got out and asked how I liked the truck as he was thinking of getting one.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Can a person be arrested or fined for not following the QT rules? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen that.
Not that I am aware of. The ski area guidance says skiing privileges can be revoked. As noted last night their isn't a ski area person in the state who know what that would even look like if it were to go down. The ski industry may be the only industry with that type of clause in its guidance.

And while a game warden may have the power I highly doubt he has any interest in getting himself involved in this issue.