• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

fwiw- This summer, my wife and I were driving to go paddling when I passed a police car going the opposite direction on the way into the launch site. We pulled the truck into a spot to unload the boards/kayak when we saw the police car pull a uturn and make a bee line back towards us. he pulled in diagonally behind us as I was in the bed unloading the kayak. I was like, oh shit, what did I do. Then the cop got out and asked how I liked the truck as he was thinking of getting one.
Hahahaha. That's a great story. I wonder if the cop realized the moment of anxiety that he caused.

cdskier

fwiw- This summer, my wife and I were driving to go paddling when I passed a police car going the opposite direction on the way into the launch site. We pulled the truck into a spot to unload the boards/kayak when we saw the police car pull a uturn and make a bee line back towards us. he pulled in diagonally behind us as I was in the bed unloading the kayak. I was like, oh shit, what did I do. Then the cop got out and asked how I liked the truck as he was thinking of getting one.
Nice...what kind of truck?

villager

I know at least 5 people exactly like Sara personally that live in the valley. Three of them are so call locals and two are transplants. I also know many people in the valley that are calm and collected about this whole thing and fell there can be a common ground that will allow people from out of state to ski. I tend to walk away from the Sara types and just ignore them. Their paranoia is not my problem.
I tried to take some notes from the Zoom call last night. There were a lot of good questions, but most of the chat was completely hijacked by Sarah. I gave up after about 35 minutes. At least a couple of people were pushing back agianst her on the chat. Here are some excerpts:

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:13 PM

To be very frank - we don’t really care about where you’re making snow.
Please tell us why you are inviting swaths of people to visit this area when we
are all just trying to stay safe and have limited resources here in the valley

Sugarbush - how many of YOUR pass holders are VT residents vs not?
How are you certain that those people who are inviting from out-of-state to the MRV this winter
to ski will tell the truth about quarantining?

From Don to Everyone: 07:13 PM

People will falsify it
It is a charade

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:16 PM

Why are you encouraging/inviting people to visit the Mad River Valley
this winter when the VT Dept of Health (and the CDC) have issued travel
advisories against non-essential travel, including locally even within the state?
Residents of Vermont aren’t supposed to be traveling even outside their local area,
except for essential reasons. So out-of-state visitors aside, why are encouraging people
from outside the MRV to travel from elsewhere (i.e. Burlington) to ski at Sugarbush and Mad River?

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:21 PM

Sugarbush - why have you not put anything on your website homepage about discouraging travel
to Vermont and the state quarantine guidelines for non-essential travel?
You’re trying to make it work for you but not for the local residents who are just trying to stay safe
Why are you encouraging people to visit the ski resorts which are gathering places
(whether it be in the outside base areas or parking lots) where multiple households will
interact for a non-essential purpose, when the state of VT has banned multi-household gatherings?
Why are you encouraging visitors to the MRV and ski resorts when local families are hunkered down at home unable to even socialize with neighbors?

"Staying safe" competes with the unsafety of economic distress and social despair.
Local xenophobia with respect to people from elsewhere isn't always helpful

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:25 PM

Saving lives is more important than skiing
If people want to go outside, they can go on a walk, snowshoe, bike, backcountry ski….
You don’t need to open a large resort attracting hoards of people to our town for locals to
be able to get outside this winter. Not many locals will feel safe going up to the mountain this winter.

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:27 PM

People who don’t get tested within Vermont are not part of the contract tracing in Vermont.
So if someone lies about quarantining and turns out they have Covid and don’t find out till they get
home after a weekend skiing in Vermont, the state of VT will never know about that case. T
he current stats on causes of cases in VT right now are just based on the data that the state has, not
data from other states of people who have visited here for a few days.

From Don to Everyone: 07:27 PM

The rules are unworkable for the lodging industry. Everyone knows that.

You should be going above and beyond what the state is requiring to keep our small rural community safe.
On the topic of educating people…. Can sugarbush please tell us why they haven’t been educating people
about all of the quarantine rules? There’s been nothing in their marketing emails or on their website or on their social media.
Nothing even on their homepage. Why?

From Don to Everyone: 07:29 PM

Sarah, you are asking people to go broke. Perhaps you are too comfortable and have lost perspective for the working class.

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:29 PM

The only reason we know vermonters who have Covid is cause we don’t know of people who get tested once they return
to their home out of state.

From mwade to Everyone: 07:30 PM

Sarah, the 2020/21 Winter Operating link at the top of the Sugarbush home page provides this info.

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:31 PM

Sugarbush should have this info right on the website - it shouldn’t require a click through.
Actually it requires several click throughs to get to even just basic info about the travel guidelines
and then deflects it to the state website. It should be very obvious on the homepage.
And should be in every single marketing email that goes out. This isn’t hard to do.
It makes it seem like sugarbush is avoiding trying to educate people about the state policies

--Sarah then asks "encouraging" question again--

From Don to Everyone: 07:34 PM

Sarah, the ski areas and lodgers are conspiring against you!

From Sarah to Everyone: 07:36 PM

Sugarbush - Especially not knowing where Ikon holders are from and what days they’ll planning to visit,
why have you not implemented a restricted reservation system, which was recommended but not required by
the state, when other large comparible resorts (Killington and Stowe) have gone above and beyond the state guidelines?

Slidebrook87

I tried to take some notes from the Zoom call last night. There were a lot of good questions, but most of the chat was completely hijacked by Sarah. I gave up after about 35 minutes. At least a couple of people were pushing back agianst her on the chat. Here are some excerpts:

How are you certain that those people who are inviting from out-of-state to the MRV this winter

People will falsify it
It is a charade

advisories against non-essential travel, including locally even within the state?
Residents of Vermont aren’t supposed to be traveling even outside their local area,
except for essential reasons. So out-of-state visitors aside, why are encouraging people
from outside the MRV to travel from elsewhere (i.e. Burlington) to ski at Sugarbush and Mad River?

Sugarbush - why have you not put anything on your website homepage about discouraging travel
You’re trying to make it work for you but not for the local residents who are just trying to stay safe
Why are you encouraging people to visit the ski resorts which are gathering places
(whether it be in the outside base areas or parking lots) where multiple households will
interact for a non-essential purpose, when the state of VT has banned multi-household gatherings?
Why are you encouraging visitors to the MRV and ski resorts when local families are hunkered down at home unable to even socialize with neighbors?

"Staying safe" competes with the unsafety of economic distress and social despair.

If people want to go outside, they can go on a walk, snowshoe, bike, backcountry ski….
You don’t need to open a large resort attracting hoards of people to our town for locals to
be able to get outside this winter. Not many locals will feel safe going up to the mountain this winter.

People who don’t get tested within Vermont are not part of the contract tracing in Vermont.
So if someone lies about quarantining and turns out they have Covid and don’t find out till they get
home after a weekend skiing in Vermont, the state of VT will never know about that case. T
he current stats on causes of cases in VT right now are just based on the data that the state has, not

You should be going above and beyond what the state is requiring to keep our small rural community safe.
On the topic of educating people…. Can sugarbush please tell us why they haven’t been educating people
about all of the quarantine rules? There’s been nothing in their marketing emails or on their website or on their social media.

Sarah, you are asking people to go broke. Perhaps you are too comfortable and have lost perspective for the working class.

The only reason we know vermonters who have Covid is cause we don’t know of people who get tested once they return

Sarah, the 2020/21 Winter Operating link at the top of the Sugarbush home page provides this info.

Sugarbush should have this info right on the website - it shouldn’t require a click through.
Actually it requires several click throughs to get to even just basic info about the travel guidelines
and then deflects it to the state website. It should be very obvious on the homepage.
And should be in every single marketing email that goes out. This isn’t hard to do.
It makes it seem like sugarbush is avoiding trying to educate people about the state policies

Sugarbush - Especially not knowing where Ikon holders are from and what days they’ll planning to visit,
why have you not implemented a restricted reservation system, which was recommended but not required by
the state, when other large comparible resorts (Killington and Stowe) have gone above and beyond the state guidelines?
If she’s so scared, why doesn’t she lock herself up in her house for the winter??

HowieT2

sounds like Sarah could use a sedative. Maybe she can protest the lack of retail marijuana in the MRV.

1dog

could you explain???
Well Howie,
I could, but the moderator suggests we leave it alone. Suffice to say that shortening the quarantine may relieve some pressure from constituents whose businesses (and therefore livelihood) are suffering terribly.

ducky

The reason Allyn's will be closed midweek is that Sugarbush is required to keep and, if necessary, provide contact tracing information for all buildings to the State. Hammond said that was not possible without having a reservation system, so Allyn's would remain closed midweek and by res on weekends.

As I said before, Sarah dominated about 3/4 of the conversation. Eric, to his credit, did address some of her concerns and kept the meeting on-track.

Not sure how they enforce the attestation, license plate readers on some VSP cars maybe, but skiing privileges will be revoked for those who do not quarantine as they promise. My guesstimate is roughly 20% will lie and come anyway, 20% will follow the rules and do the quarantining, and 60% will not come at all.

I know the warden personally and he tirelessly enforces state game laws. Chances are your friend's vehicle was similar to one that was called in. He gets texts all day from landowners and hunters alike.

Last edited:

cdskier

People will falsify it
It is a charade

I just watched the whole video...wish I had the entire chat transcript. You could periodically see the first few words of new comments popping up and would love to have seen them all. Definitely seems to be some completely inaccurate things said by Sarah (particularly around lack of communications by SB to their visitors and her statement that other resorts are doing more than SB by having reservations).

To the communications point, I think I've received via e-mail (and seen on their website) plenty of communication from Sugarbush alerting me to what the rules are. The very fact that they are disabling passes until you sign the attestation is a rather significant step as well that at least forces people to say they read the rules (which as far as I know, K didn't do and not sure if Stowe/Vail did either).

To the reservation point, as I think it was John pointed out, simply requiring a reservation doesn't have any bearing on whether that person is following the rules and guidelines. Realistically the only thing it does is help you manage capacity. If SB and MRG think they can accomplish the same thing by basically being mostly pass-holder only with just a limited number of day tickets being made available, then good for them. They know their historical numbers and how many are typically passholders vs day ticket holders on any given day. It isn't like they don't have a plan. We'll find out soon enough how it works out.

TSQURD

Speaking of the attestation, is it just me or is the site note working properly? It crashes after I put my initials in

thetrailboss

Staff member

People will falsify it
It is a charade

WTF??!! 🤦‍♂️😳🤷‍♂️

She must not understand that for about the last 75 years or so skiing and tourism have been essential for the survival of the Mad River Valley. What planet is she on? I also think she might not be a fan of IKON. Willing to bet she has not lived in the MRV for that long.

Someone should have told her to go to the TGR forums to share her ideas. She would have been eaten alive 😆😆😆😆

Last edited:

Powder Whore

well, we'll see what you prefer when I'm dining on a hot bowl of chili on my tailgate. I make a pretty good chili.
Ford Ranger
A co-worker of mine used to have a 12V lunch box. He put his lunch into metal to-go containers then inside the lunch box. He would plug it into the cig lighter about 20 min before lunch. I remember it working very well. I also remember how jealous I was of his hot food. I would check your power points to see how they operate in relation to your auto start.

Last edited:

dustyroads

A co-worker of mine used to have a 12V lunch box. He put his lunch into metal to-go containers then inside the lunch box. He would plug it into the cig lighter about 20 min before lunch. I remember it working very well. I also remember how jealous I was of his hot food. I would check your power points to see how they operate in relation to your auto start.
When I was a kid my mother would put hot dogs in one thermos and hot chocolate in another. Best lunch ever.

Slidebrook87

It looks like another snowmaking window hasn’t been taken advantage of. It doesn’t look like the guns have been on at all. It just seems a bit odd that places like magic are making snow while sugarbush isn’t...