• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

If I had to guess, it was a corporate decision.

Supposedly from what I heard, Alterra claims it was a local management decision. Of course that doesn't mean Alterra didn't say to Hammond "find a way to trim $x out of your budget for this year. How you accomplish that is up to you." And then this was his answer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Supposedly from what I heard, Alterra claims it was a local management decision. Of course that doesn't mean Alterra didn't say to Hammond "find a way to trim $x out of your budget for this year. How you accomplish that is up to you." And then this was his answer.
I think you summarized it very well. SB was told to cut expenses. Convenient excuse to blame local management. Not really a good sign either if you are local management considering that we heard that Alterra was so good with local relations. Who knows. I am certainly less than impressed with Alterra after they appeared on the scene. They certainly have done a good job of brainwashing folks and dodging accountability for a lot of the mess they have created here. Based on what I have seen at Solitude I think that SB skiers are in for a rude awakening in the next few years. Hopefully I am wrong.

Clearly I am suffering from ski withdrawal! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Smellytele

I think you summarized it very well. SB was told to cut expenses. Convenient excuse to blame local management. Not really a good sign either if you are local management considering that we heard that Alterra was so good with local relations. Who knows. I am certainly less than impressed with Alterra after they appeared on the scene. If what I have seen at Solitude than SB skiers are in for a rude awakening in the next few years.
If Alterra is just saying cut expenses and not being specific then local management is better off than Vail’s local management

thetrailboss

Staff member
If Alterra is just saying cut expenses and not being specific then local management is better off than Vail’s local management
Well, my point is how Alterra is playing off of the decision to dodge being in the crosshairs of Egan fans.

KustyTheKlown

man oh man does it feel good to be skiing on snow.

even with this limited terrain and no woods and etc., skiing is a blessing and i'm so grateful just to be here

killington yesterday - not crowded exactly but busier than i expected for an 'early season' Wednesday. two singles to the six pack (all good), two singles to the gondola (no thank you). snowdown stuff skied very well, specifically full house/royal flush and mouse run under the guns. far right of mouse trap with the thwack sticking out actually skied pretty good. they opened ridge run and powerline late in the day which were thin but fun. woods between the two were not skiable, but definitely piss and smoke pot-able

sugarbush today - again, not crowded, but busier than i expected. i came across a line at heavens gate at about 10:30 AM which LOOKED kind of nuts, but actually was not nuts. it was about an 8-10 minute wait. it was just well spaced and there isn't much room there so it snaked up hill. singles rode alone at sugarbush. spring fling first thing in the morning with the huge whales and untouched gun powder on the sides was so fun. after 11 every lift was ski on

Saturdays are going to be rough until they get more terrain open. i intend to sleep in, make breakfast, read a book, and hit the hill after 12. this is a luxury i NEVER have. the whole pace this trip is just mellow mellow mellow

people need to wear their masks. employees are enforcing but they need to walk this fine line of customer service. almost everyone is all good but some people are not, whether inadvertently or intentionally. encountered an intentional outspoken anti masker at killington. i refused to ride with him and waited for the next chair. the liftie didn't do anything about him. i'm not all that concerned about outdoor transmission tho standing on a lift line for 5+ minutes isn't ideal. really i just want skiing to not be shut down, so fuck that guy and his anti mask cohort. 'freedom' my dick.

great airbnb in waitsfield 5 min from the commercial strip. $90 a night for 12 nights. pretty unbeatable. would be killer if this was a rocking December, but I'll conclude how i started - skiing is an absolute blessing

i went to hill farmstead and spent $320. half of that is Christmas presents/orders for friends. so i'm here alone with $160 worth of hill farmstead.

jaybird

First Win .. now John .. BIG losses.
No fan of Corporate Skiing any longer.
A crappy year .. Ides of March to now..
Ski you tomorrow .. Finally ✌

thetrailboss

Staff member
Feel bad for mr. Eagan, hopefully Stowe Mtn resort has a half brain and understands what mr Egan means to New England skiers and hires the man.
So what was the last movie he was in?

And if SB let him go I certainly don't see him at Stowe. Not with Vail. I'd say MRG, but they don't have the $$$.

KustyTheKlown

ie, he got paid well to be a figurehead with no real job aside from skiing with high paying or important guests

jimmywilson69

Its a shitty situation but when the bottom line is in question positions like his are expendable. It sort of sounds like there might be more to this story, but whatever. In a lot of ways he should consider himself lucky to have had the job he did for as long as he did.

I agree that some other mountain should look to add him , but again with 2020 the way it ended and potentially a covid forced lean year its got to be hard for anyone to pay for that sort of position.

KustyTheKlown

Ripcord opening tomorrow per snow report.

yea, looked just about ready today, they just need to roll it out, push a bit of the whales downhill, fill like one dippy water bar. its good to go.

concerned about a major shit show tomorrow tho. I'm probably not going to turn up until noon

cdskier

yea, looked just about ready today, they just need to roll it out, push a bit of the whales downhill, fill like one dippy water bar. its good to go.

concerned about a major shit show tomorrow tho. I'm probably not going to turn up until noon

There's no plans to roll it out tonight according to the snow report...