• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

lol. the bottom of semi tough was not fun saturday, that's for sure.

honestly i am kinda shocked the village businesses can sustain themselves. I've been skiing sugarbush for years, always stay in off mountain lodging as far as montpelier or Waterbury, and i just learned these places exist. i imagine most visitors are totally ignorant of their existence.
The one bar/restaurant (the location where Mutha Stuffers and The Reks is currently) has changed hands a bunch of times over the years. (Mutha Stuffers itself has been in the village for a while now, but has just moved locations a few times within the village).

Mutha Stuffers gets a consistent flow of people and has a pretty loyal following. Chez Henri is pretty well known as well. VT ski and ride magazine had an article on legaendary Vermont ski bars a few years back where it was featured.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I lived in the village for many years... first in Trailside towards the top, working my way down to North Lynx, and finally Village Gate (the hotel-looking one at the stop sign by the SHaRC). Especially from my years at VG, I'd frequent the village often, as it was easy to grab a bite at the Reks or something from Mutha Stuffers. Its definitely a case of "you have to know its there", otherwise you wouldn't know what's in there. Even on a Friday or Saturday night mid-winter, the Village would be dead in recent years. Not sure why. The Phoenix used to be quite the place some 15+ years ago. Pine Tree was good for its first year or so, but fell off. Was it changing demographics? Less of a party scene? Families wanting to stay in? Or is it a case of just too far off the path (from the mtn) to be totally integrated and thus lacks the foot traffic? I'm guessing its that. Perhaps if it had been built where the Rice/Gadd Brook are, that would put it a little closer to the action. In reality, the whole design of the area left much to be desired, with the Village chair in the pit all those years and the large expanse of vacant land between it and the Village.

Also the Village was IIRC a privately owned venture and never part of Sugarbush itself, despite its name.

WinS

Double-Diamonds are fine and I can see them being useful. There's a definite difference between a trail like Cliffs vs FIS or Black Diamond at ME. And a big difference between trails like CR Run, Cotillion, and Middle Earth vs Liftline and Rumble on CR peak. I think the double-diamonds make sense to at least give some guidance to new people. I may not agree with each individual trail rating (i.e. Ripcord is really a questionable double unless it is a sheet of ice).
A few thoughts on this topic. There are no definite industry standard about what constitutes a green, blue, black or double black, so each resort determines the trail classifications. There is no question that some VT resorts have blacks that are rated blue here at Sugarbush and that can be a surprise. What is a double black? Once again these is no firm standard, but think of it as a “do not fall” meaning the slope could cause a long slide even with Moguls but even more possible if groomed. Stein’s and FIS fit as so portions of a trail like Ripcord.

HowieT2

honestly i am kinda shocked the village businesses can sustain themselves. I've been skiing sugarbush for years, always stay in off mountain lodging as far as montpelier or Waterbury, and i just learned these places exist. i imagine most visitors are totally ignorant of their existence.
I've always made it a point to patronize mutha stuffas and pizza soul, even though they are out of my way. Dino is a great guy as is the guy from pizza soul, whose name escapes me.

HowieT2

you also have to understand that prior to 2005 or so when the gatehouse/claybrook was built, there wasn't much of a base area at LP and sugarbush village was the only game in town.

cdskier

I've always made it a point to patronize mutha stuffas and pizza soul, even though they are out of my way. Dino is a great guy as is the guy from pizza soul, whose name escapes me.

Jason is the owner of Pizza Soul. Agree that both him and Dino are great guys.

KustyTheKlown

you also have to understand that prior to 2005 or so when the gatehouse/claybrook was built, there wasn't much of a base area at LP and sugarbush village was the only game in town.

yea that is before my time. i didn't start skiing sugarbush until i graduated college in 2007. my very casual skier family were killington and mount snow loyalists. rented same house near snow, and high ridge condos at killington, every mlk and presidents week. plus a few day trips a year to hunter with dad.

after college and with my own car and a desire to ski a lot more, i started exploring and hunting deals.

cdskier

yea that is before my time. i didn't start skiing sugarbush until i graduated college in 2007. my very casual skier family were killington and mount snow loyalists. rented same house near snow, and high ridge condos at killington, every mlk and presidents week. plus a few day trips a year to hunter with dad.

after college and with my own car and a desire to ski a lot more, i started exploring and hunting deals.

I started skiing in HS (96/97), first trip to VT was 2001 (my dad took me and a few friends to Okemo for spring break in late March). 2002 we did another Okemo trip. 2003 and 2004 we moved up to K/Pico. Then after I graduated college I wanted to go further north. 2005 I took my brother to Sugarbush for a mid-week trip in January. Immediately fell in love. Just looked back at my old pics to see if I had any of the base area at the time. It looks so strange! Wish I had more looking at it from on the mountain, but these are the best I have.

P1250038.JPG
P1240046.JPG

tumbler

The only thing I miss from the old base area is the clock tower. Other than that is was pretty bad with trailers and portable buildings. The old pub in the gatehouse was on the 2nd floor and did have windows looking out at spring fling

mikec142

A few thoughts on this topic. There are no definite industry standard about what constitutes a green, blue, black or double black, so each resort determines the trail classifications. There is no question that some VT resorts have blacks that are rated blue here at Sugarbush and that can be a surprise. What is a double black? Once again these is no firm standard, but think of it as a “do not fall” meaning the slope could cause a long slide even with Moguls but even more possible if groomed. Stein’s and FIS fit as so portions of a trail like Ripcord.

I'm all for a distinction between black and double black. As others have posted, Rumble and Sunrise aren't exactly the same and they should be marked as such.

Rode Heaven's Gate on Saturday. Saw two skiers of note. First was a guy who was absolutely flying down Ripcord making beautiful GS turns. A picture of power and grace. Later in the day, I saw a different guy flying down Ripcord. Couldn't believe how fast he was going. Immediately thought about the first guy but also thought this guy seemed out of control. He hit a tiny bump at the bottom of the second (steeper) pitch and launched into a full on yard sale complete with full football field face first slide. There was a collective gasp from the 10-15 chairs that witnessed it. Thankfully he got up and started marching back up the hill to retrieve his gear.

WinS

They are blowing snow again, but I heard that they are running low on water in the pond.
The way it works at LP is that water is withdrawn from the Mad River into the pond whenever the flow is above the February Mean Level which is somewhere around 44 cfs. The river is flowing a bit slow now because we have not have much rain or snow, but it will definitely get recharged this weekend. At ME the water source is from streams and the pond at the bottom of Inverness.

ducky

Pizza Soul is now in the Village Square complex in Waitsfield, next to Mehurons and Mad Taco. It was a good move for them.

Smuggs has some Triple Blacks off Madona and they are very steep, narrow, and gnarly. Not saying they're worthy, or if there should be doubles or triples, but they do have them. Great woods there and you can return down Rte 108 much like you can at Stowe's Bench, Angel Food, or Hell Brook, only going the opposite direction, of course, Smuggs being on the other side of the Notch.

The trail rating discussion is a bit like the binding setting on a rental form; choices are I II III. While you can ski in higher dins than III by setting yourself, the shops can only go by the chart. III is considered expert as is (single) black diamond.

Dickc

The trail rating discussion is a bit like the binding setting on a rental form; choices are I II III. While you can ski in higher dins than III by setting yourself, the shops can only go by the chart. III is considered expert as is (single) black diamond.
For some of you who have not hit 50 years of age yet, that type III setting is not a type III setting if OVER 50. They will automatically knock it down one. If you select III, they set it II. If you select II, they set it to a I. Same goes in retail shops that set bindings for customers. Over 50 gets the downgrade.

When I last skied, I could stand with my feet about 24 inches apart and bend my knees forward, and turn my toes inward, standing still of course, and pop my toes right out of my bindings. I ski hard (no moguls, really bad back), but I never had a release on the hill unless I fell and put enough stress on the binding to cause the release. One ski shop employee I knew once told me that expert skiers should be able to ski in a type I binding and not have it come out for normal skiing.

HowieT2

For some of you who have not hit 50 years of age yet, that type III setting is not a type III setting if OVER 50. They will automatically knock it down one. If you select III, they set it II. If you select II, they set it to a I. Same goes in retail shops that set bindings for customers. Over 50 gets the downgrade.

When I last skied, I could stand with my feet about 24 inches apart and bend my knees forward, and turn my toes inward, standing still of course, and pop my toes right out of my bindings. I ski hard (no moguls, really bad back), but I never had a release on the hill unless I fell and put enough stress on the binding to cause the release. One ski shop employee I knew once told me that expert skiers should be able to ski in a type I binding and not have it come out for normal skiing.
That’s right. I had this issue after turning 50. Shop turned my din down to 6.5. Almost lost a ski in deep powder out in bc Before cranking it back up to 8.

Powder Whore

chime away! Where in NJ are u coming from? Im originally from englewood.

About 10 years ago, we had a family come up for the day from their place at Okemo. They insisted on skiing paradise. The Mom, took off her skis on the top section and hiked back up. Dad wasn't much better but eventually made it down, although the kids were psyched.
Im originally from Bellville. I live in Bradley Beach now. I have made a few other stops along the way in Monmouth County. Just out of curiosity where does it say that Im form Nj? I thought I left that stuff blank?

Powder Whore

Is anyone else really enjoying having the small park setup under GMX? I love watching the new schoolers ski. Its not for me but I def respect it. Its also cool seeing them absolutely shredding side hits around the mountain.

cdskier

Im originally from Bellville. I live in Bradley Beach now. I have made a few other stops along the way in Monmouth County. Just out of curiosity where does it say that Im form Nj? I thought I left that stuff blank?

Hah...I was wondering what prompted Howie to ask that as well... Thought I missed a post or something...