• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Kusty hit it right- low expectations=good time. You don't know if you don't go. Had a good weekend and far exceeded my expectations.

Hawk

Skiing the open woods was tricky this weekend if it was not tracked up a little. Crust was breakable but better up high. I bet there were some injuries. Saw a few.
My expectations were 100 accurate and what I skied was what I expected.

Boxtop Willie

Eagan's Woods was excellent this weekend. Once you got through the first 3 turns the snow got soft, not a lot of crust, well exceeded expectations.

JEEPSKIBUM

Looking for some April suggestions..

Do you think Sugarbush will be running lifts mid week around April 20th? If so, what's typically open then? Would Gate House be open still? How about groomed blues for kids? Wishful thinking....... Should I hold off on booking until April?

cdskier

Do you think Sugarbush will be running lifts mid week around April 20th? If so, what's typically open then? Would Gate House be open still? How about groomed blues for kids? Wishful thinking....... Should I hold off on booking until April?

That's tricky. Usually only the last week of April is when they stop mid-week operations and go to weekends only, but who knows this year. Doubtful Gate House would be still open at that point. Those trails are more southerly facing and melt out quicker in April. Most years you have somewhere between 15 and 30 trails still open at that point (off Super Bravo, Valley House, and Heaven's Gate). They do still groom a few routes, but if the weather is warm even the groomed blues will bump up quickly at that point in the season as the day goes on).

Hawk

Typically we are down to just Bravo or Valley house by then. I would bet on only Steins, snowball and Spring fling unless we get a ton more snow and temps stay cold.

KustyTheKlown

Eagan's Woods was excellent this weekend. Once you got through the first 3 turns the snow got soft, not a lot of crust, well exceeded expectations.

i had good skiing in all of the woods off of north ridge at ellen, egan's woods, grotto, eden, lews>birch. it all skied much better than expected.

somehow this was the first time I've ever actually rode the slidebrook chair. which was super useful in avoiding peak lincoln peak times.

heavens gate 8-9
castlerock 9-10:30
one nasty line at gate house at 10:30 to get to slide brook
mount ellen 11-1
super bravo/valley house - 1-3

perfect.

i also never quite realized that you could take the slide brook traverse from north lynx, hike up a small hill on the slide brook liftline, and then have a pretty nice and steep ski back down to slidebrook chair, so there's a route that doesn't put you all the way down at the road. good to know. snow looked tasty there and had a few tracks.

Last edited:

keyser soze

Killington should have a bit open then and their spring pass is on sale now for $250, so cost is good if more than a few days, Price holds until March 14th so you have time to see what conditions are like then.

JEEPSKIBUM

I'm Ikonic so I can ski at both but the Sugarbush scenario seems a little more feasible for me assuming conditions are ok.

jaybird

The grooming fleet has done a fine job this season. Yes, they HAVE had abundant material to work with, but the lines they leave are very tidy .. no ugly lapped edges and few death cookies.
Thanks to Dan and Team 🍻

The sleet accumulation last week set up interestingly in the LP woods. Despite the drizzle last week, the crust layer was easy to break up, making for a continuation of the best string of woods skiing weeks in quite a long time.

We're on the edge of this next thaw.
Praying things remain superb.
👍

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Quiet storm cycle coming up for Northern VT this week...3" yesterday, another couple inches tonight, same for tomorrow night. Quiet refreshes are my favorite. You get 1 foot of snow in a big, well-known storm and it's scraped/chopped to nothing in a day. A few inches getting packed each day is the way to go.

KustyTheKlown

quiet constant refreshes is the best. excellent conditions, no hype crowds, safe driving.

i am in waitsfield, same house i rented in December, from this Sunday thru March 9. hoping our good fortune continues. i am a bit wary of sunday/monday timeframe as of now.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
quiet constant refreshes is the best. excellent conditions, no hype crowds, safe driving.

i am in waitsfield, same house i rented in December, from this Sunday thru March 9. hoping our good fortune continues. i am a bit wary of sunday/monday timeframe as of now.

It's also crazy to me how you can get 4" of upslope from a 2"-4" forecast and crowds will be dead, but you put 6" in the forecast from a true "storm" and the resort will be packed should it actually happen.

cdskier

It's also crazy to me how you can get 4" of upslope from a 2"-4" forecast and crowds will be dead, but you put 6" in the forecast from a true "storm" and the resort will be packed should it actually happen.

A lot of times the resort will be packed even if it DOESN'T actually happen in your latter scenario.

mikec142

Concerned about Saturday into Sunday...skipped last weekend with the hopes that this weekend would be better...

WinS

Do you think Sugarbush will be running lifts mid week around April 20th? If so, what's typically open then? Would Gate House be open still? How about groomed blues for kids? Wishful thinking....... Should I hold off on booking until April

WinS

The plan is to be open every day through April 25th I believe, and to reopen the next weekend for a final two days. (Maybe golf too). By the end of April Gatehouse pod will be closed. If there is adequate snowpack both Bravo and Heaven’s Gate could be running with grooming on trails like Jester, Snowball and Spring Fling. However, by that time of year it could just be Valley House lift with Stein‘s and a groomed Upper Snowball and Spring Fling. However, every year is different so one can not predictat this point.

JEEPSKIBUM

The plan is to be open every day through April 25th I believe, and to reopen the next weekend for a final two days. (Maybe golf too). By the end of April Gatehouse pod will be closed. If there is adequate snowpack both Bravo and Heaven’s Gate could be running with grooming on trails like Jester, Snowball and Spring Fling. However, by that time of year it could just be Valley House lift with Stein‘s and a groomed Upper Snowball and Spring Fling. However, every year is different so one can not predictat this point.
Thanks! That gives me to confidence to book provided I think there will be coverage. I was more concerned with booking and then finding it the hill is closed M-F that week. Ill probably wait a couple weeks but it's a start.