• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

CD - you should be given a free pass for your QC consulting! Seems strange that it was not given a basic QC before going live,… maybe they were counting on us to do the QC for them!
LOL. I'd gladly take a free pass in exchange for beta testing and providing this feedback. But yes, I don't understand some of this seemingly basic stuff being overlooked. Honestly it isn't like we needed the new app released 3 weeks before the mountain even opens for the season. I get that the old app essentially stopped working when they released the new website due to the way it pulled data, but we could have gone without an app for a couple more weeks if that is what it took to iron out the bugs and tweak it. Again, I have issues with releasing something that is only going to frustrate people when they try to use it because it isn't truly finished. (Or if someone did actually sign off on this version thinking it was "final" and truly good to go, then that's even worse).

Edit...there is another option I just thought of too. This may be a "standard" app Alterra has that they use across multiple resorts and some of these things may not be overly customizable for each individual resort app if the core platform is the same. I've never seen/used apps from other Alterra resorts before, so this is just a random guess as to another explanation for some of the things that seem "odd" to us.

Last edited:

cdskier

Got it,… thanks. ( that is a little clunky and not sure most would even know it’s there
Yea...I totally missed that too until someone else pointed it out. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but something that was visible in 1 click on the old site/app shouldn't take 4-5 clicks to get the same info on the new one.

SkiTheEast

This may be a "standard" app Alterra has that they use across multiple resorts and some of these things may not be overly customizable for each individual resort app if the core platform is the same.
Bingo. The publisher is "Ikon Pass" and a quick peruse through the app store shows the Deer Valley app with the same exact layout and publisher.

cdskier

Bingo. The publisher is "Ikon Pass" and a quick peruse through the app store shows the Deer Valley app with the same exact layout and publisher.
I just tried the Deer Valley app but it was pretty useless to use to compare skiing related info as it seems to be in summer mode. I couldn't find apps for a bunch of their other resorts (or some were apps clearly done by other developers where maybe they haven't moved the apps for those resorts over to the "Alterra" platform app so I didn't want to waste time looking at them). I did finally find the app for Mammoth which is clearly the same platform as the SB app. Definitely the same "quirks" that the new SB app has as well. It makes no sense for the Alterra web platform to be capable of grouping trails by mountain area on the conditions report page but for the app to only show all trails in 1 big list. Logically they should both be pulling from the same database. If the website is capable of grouping trails into sections, that means the data is in the database. Someone just needs to actually update the app to utilize that data.

Now I just went really nerdy and did some looking at the feed data that is being pulled to populate the conditions page on the website. There's a lot of data coming across that they're not using/displaying on the website (yet). For example all the snowfall data I want to see is being passed across as fields in the feed... So at the very least this is something that they're capable of tracking and potentially adding to the website without any major changes on the backend needing to happen.

Slidebrook87

Yes! I saw snow blowing on Downspout from the new Allyn's lodge webcam this morning!

View attachment 52133
It’ll be interesting to see how the lower downspout bottleneck plays out this year. On opening weekend last year everyone who went right off of Bravo had no choice but to take Heaven’s Gate since lower downspout was closed. The lines at HG were some of the longest I’ve seen at that lift.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It’ll be interesting to see how the lower downspout bottleneck plays out this year. On opening weekend last year everyone who went right off of Bravo had no choice but to take Heaven’s Gate since lower downspout was closed. The lines at HG were some of the longest I’ve seen at that lift.
I don’t miss the Deathspout.

tumbler

The new app sucks. What do I need to sign in for? All I need is temps and webcams and neither of them work or take 6 clicks to get to.

skiur

Still better than Killingtons website, you guys should consider yourselves lucky! :)

KustyTheKlown

i was gonna do rut-vegas motel for friday nov 19 to ski sugarbush saturday. but i just got an airbnb in waitsfield for sat 20 and will ski sat and sunday. prob cancel the Friday hotel and just late night drive it to waitsfield. i don't even care if it will be 2 trails. i am getting so excited to ski again.

Kingslug20

Packing the house up..pretty much sold..or I would be heading up there. I need to ski!

bumpsAndTrees

I hope they will add webcams that show the bases of the lifts. Otherwise, the webcams are fairly useless. The main reason for looking at webcams is to see what the lift lines look like.

Hawk

They were there on day one but have been removed. I would guess they will add them back once lifts open. I disagree that they are useless. I look at them for other reason also.

bumpsAndTrees

If they show lift lines, I'll look at the webcams many times throughout the day, even when it's bitter cold. Otherwise, I would only use the webcams in April, in order to gauge whether the sun has softened snow. When I'm not at the mountain, I'll occasionally look at the snow stakes to see how much snow fell.

Hawk

I look at them to see the weather, the snow stake or if the lifts are spinning. I know the crowd patterns at sugarbush and what lines to avoid at what time. Other than that, I just go and deal with it. The lines are not that bad at Sugarbush anyway. For me, I hate skiing with my phone anyway. I am not the type of person that takes my phone out that much. But I can understand your point. Some people like to look at it all the time. I bet they will have the cameras up when the season starts.