• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

NYSnowflake

Limited number of lift mechanics available
It was spinning for a bit but appears GH is down again, as it was yesterday, PM at least.
I was on Bravo at 8:15 this morning when the chair failed to detach and launched us off at the top. It was intermittently running and down for a while after that due to icing problems.

TSQURD

Less crowded this morning than expected but people seemed to be trickling in scraping the mountain clean in the process. Asked one of the ambassadors, he said they were replacing a wheel and then needed to reset all the chairs on GH this morning.

As far as Ellen tomorrow, going out on a limb but I wouldn't expect drastically different conditions anywhere. North is usually less crowded, which should help it hold up longer, but with the even more limited number of trails it might not. Also, GMVS has a training this week so be sure to check if Inverness is open to the public if that's why you are heading over there.

WinS

Limited number of lift mechanics available
Icing was the issue on GMX and GH. Detachables are far more vulnerable to icing than fixed grips are. I was actually surprised Bravo did not have delays yesterday or today but it did have some early collision faults that stopped it several times due to the freezing mist that was still here early today.

What was getting replaced were a couple of the rubber tires in the terminal which were impacted by icing. The ice also caused issues with the chair spacing and they had to be reset once the ice was cleared. There are anti-collusion sensors that stop the lift if chairs are not spaced properly.

WWF-VT

My comment regarding the limited number of lift mechanics was not related to GMX or GH icing but the fact that they are not blowing snow on the upper mountain at Mt Ellen as both the Summit and Northridge chairs are currently idle. Why make snow if you aren't going to run lifts to access the trails?

WWF-VT

Can anyone give a snow report for Mt Ellen- specifically inverness? Wondering if I should ski there tomorrow AM.

Everything at Mt Ellen was a "one and done" today. Northstar was firm until the lower half, Which Way was extra chunky, Inverness was GMVS race ready hard pack. The best snow was on Crackerjack. Another groom tonight should improve conditions.

NYSnowflake

First day ever? On the post-Christmas weekend in freeze thaw conditions?

Buy him his favorite, strongest liquor!
He said the snow was great in the learning areas today. He had a good time today teaching 2 adult never evers and a teenager learning to parallel. Still had a nice stiff drink when he got home.

NYSnowflake

Everything at Mt Ellen was a "one and done" today. Northstar was firm until the lower half, Which Way was extra chunky, Inverness was GMVS race ready hard pack. The best snow was on Crackerjack. Another groom tonight should improve conditions.
Thanks! Sounds like I will head over to Lincoln Peak again tomorrow! Spring fling held up pretty well until 1pm today.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
He said the snow was great in the learning areas today. He had a good time today teaching 2 adult never evers and a teenager learning to parallel. Still had a nice stiff drink when he got home.

The most sore days of my entire ski season each year were always my first day teaching, the first busy day, and the first day teaching kids on the carpet! The first powder day... a little stiff but fine in comparison!

Hawk

It rained, they groomed and it froze. The terrain is what is to be expected. It will get gradually better with grooming and small doses of natural snow this week. I skied yesterday and headed out now. Bad visibility at the top. Rip chord was actiually better where they did not groom. At lease the surface was uniform and not varied with sheets of ice. I cant stand skiing that long runout at the bottom of Ellen so until they open at least North Ridge, you won't see me over there.

NYSnowflake

The summit at the top of Ripcord was gorgeous this AM! The clouds were down below and the top was blue skies! The snow/grooming on upper Jester was very good this AM.

Hawk

Today, the good. Ripchord skiers right, spring fling, Pushover
the bad, Middle organgrinder, whats up with leaving the wales for a week? Ice and whales are a bad combo.
The ugly, upper organgrinder. That trail needs a resurface but don't stop expanding for me. ;-)

WWF-VT

Mt Ellen was much better today after the Sunday night groom but still very limited terrain. Heard that Elbow had previously had snow blown and has solid cover but still no effort to get Summit or North Ridge chairs spinning.

Last edited:

SkiTheEast

Interesting article about the supercharged demand (coupled with ongoing supply chain issues) for new lifts from Poma and Doppelmayr. Based upon the below quote it will be interesting to see what the timeline ultimately will look like if Sugarbush has plans for new lifts as John Hammond mentioned recently...

“But now, very quickly, everybody starts wanting lifts,” says Landsman, whose day job entails supervising lift operations at Wyoming’s Jackson Hole ski area. “Used to be that resorts could call up their lift company in February, order a new lift, sign a deal in March and have it installed by November. I think those days are gone.”

Quick installs of multi-million dollar chairlifts are gone for the foreseeable future. Cole’s team is backed up into 2023.

Hawk

From the various conversations I have had, lifts are not the priority right now. I think it is more about replacing old snowmaking piping and posibly building a new pond.

Snow report this morning shows Birch and Rimrun as the next snowmaking trails. What is the over-under for when they will open the new lifts? I say next week. Tuesday is my call.