• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

20 bucks an hour..
You can be a greeter in Walmart for 17.
But the real perspective is their is a shortage of mechanics,electricians,etc. They can get a much better job with benefits and work inside ,for more money.
Why would they want to be a lift mechanic?
Why would anyone want to be a snow maker?
Things have to change.
Are you sure that's what the lift mechanics make? My understanding is that it is considerably more.

HowieT2

Also people forget that Les had to give up rights to develope other areas around the resort as a barganing chip to get that lift installed. I think that sucks more. I am sorry, I don't ride that lift, never have and never will. I ski slidebrook, get on the bus for 5 minutes and I am at North. Same going South at the end of the day. No fuss no muss.
I like slidebrook being sidecountry without vertical lifts. IMHO, it was a blessing in disguise not being able to develop in there.

Hawk-I'm going to your old haunt, SR for PD weekend. first time ever for me. anything I should know.

cdskier

I like slidebrook being sidecountry without vertical lifts. IMHO, it was a blessing in disguise not being able to develop in there.
I tend to agree. It gives them a rather unique "feature" that most resorts can't offer.

jaybird

Dude, I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. It was never going to be developed because of the bear habitat, the lift is the only thing that was going in there. Plus something of that scale does not get installed without significant approvals and permitting.

I wish the plans that were drawn up for that area were done, it was awesome and would have made SB bigger than K. Awesome for terrain but not awesome for how it would have changed the Valley imo.
Being Bigger than K was not likely ever part of anyone's plan. The Bigness of K is not all it's cracked up to be. Vertical beats horizontal any day .. in my book 👍

Slidebrook87

Dude, I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. It was never going to be developed because of the bear habitat, the lift is the only thing that was going in there. Plus something of that scale does not get installed without significant approvals and permitting.

I wish the plans that were drawn up for that area were done, it was awesome and would have made SB bigger than K. Awesome for terrain but not awesome for how it would have changed the Valley imo.
When Otten put the lift in he signed a contract to never build in the basin. Now, even if the lift was never installed, the bear habitat would prevent the area from development and the lift would not likely be able to be built if it were now. As it is, I believe it can't run from May until November-ish because of the bears coming out of hibernation. Considering nothing else can happen now or likely could've happened then, I think it's good that the lift even exists at all.

Kingslug20

Are you sure that's what the lift mechanics make? My understanding is that it is considerably more.
How much?
If its a lot more..and they still cant get people..then it needs to be A LOT MORE..
Its a brutal job...i wouldnt do it for any money..

HowieT2

How much?
If its a lot more..and they still cant get people..then it needs to be A LOT MORE..
Its a brutal job...i wouldnt do it for any money..
I was under the impression it was a full time position with benefits at about 60-70k/year. Maybe I'm nuts but that's what I thought.

cdskier

I was under the impression it was a full time position with benefits at about 60-70k/year. Maybe I'm nuts but that's what I thought.
The listing on their open positions link on their website does indeed list it as a full-time year round position. It doesn't list the salary range, although there is a $1500 sign on bonus at the moment...

Thanks, how were tumbler hammerhead and encore? Also did lower FIS have alot of bumps? thanks!
Skied there yesterday (Tues) morning before work. Tumbler was pretty good, Hammerhead not so much in parts (the dusting of snow Monday night did a god job hiding all the rocks). Woods off of Tumbler looked pretty good but I didn't go in because I didn't want to risk taking my 9:30 call from a Ski Patrol sled.

Hawk

Hawk-I'm going to your old haunt, SR for PD weekend. first time ever for me. anything I should know.
Text me when you have a chance. I can send you to a couple of places you may not find.

cdskier

I fail to understand how people can be this stupid and have absolutely no awareness of their surroundings.

ducky

Def the red Subie. There was a neat double row going on, then that one just parked in a third row and the whole thing jogged over with maybe the three cars blocked in. I watched endless cars driving down the one way the wrong way.

Yesterday saw a guy parked 2-3 slots over from Win's spot. He got out of his car to rotate the handicapped parking sign away from his car. I said something to him about moving parking signs to suit his needs - not being handicapped or 80+, but kinda wish I hadn't as he got ugly about it. Mass plates, um, real nice guy.

My wife says I should have hit him up for a Vermont Adaptive or High Fives donation if he was going to use their parking. Wish I'd just filmed it for the Jerry of the Day highlight reel.

Last edited: