• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Def the red Subie. There was a neat double row going on, then that one just parked in a third row and the whole thing jogged over with maybe the three cars blocked in. I watched endless cars driving down the one way the wrong way.

Yesterday saw a guy parked 2-3 slots over from Win's spot. He got out of his car to rotate the handicapped parking sign away from his car. I said something to him about moving parking signs to suit his needs - not being handicapped or 80+, but kinda wish I hadn't as he got ugly about it. Mass plates, um, real nice guy.

My wife says I should have hit him up for a Vermont Adaptive or High Fives donation if he was going to use their parking. Wish I'd just filmed it for the Jerry of the Day highlight reel.
ha, my wife had an issue there some years ago. She had broken her foot and was in one of those walking boots but the doctor said she could ski because the ski boot would act as the boot. She got a handicapped pass from the doctors office and parked in the handicapped spot. Some woman lit into her when she saw her grabbing her skis from the car.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yesterday saw a guy parked 2-3 slots over from Win's spot. He got out of his car to rotate the handicapped parking sign away from his car. I said something to him about moving parking signs to suit his needs - not being handicapped or 80+, but kinda wish I hadn't as he got ugly about it. Mass plates, um, real nice guy.

My wife says I should have hit him up for a Vermont Adaptive or High Fives donation if he was going to use their parking. Wish I'd just filmed it for the Jerry of the Day highlight reel.
That guy is the epitomy of douchiness. And love the idea of asking for a donation. Great idea!

Slidebrook87

Lower Domino, Moonshine, and Semi Tough are the best practice bumps in my book. The upper section of Lower FIS is relatively steep but you can always cut in on South Bound and bypass that section.

Hawk

ha, my wife had an issue there some years ago. She had broken her foot and was in one of those walking boots but the doctor said she could ski because the ski boot would act as the boot. She got a handicapped pass from the doctors office and parked in the handicapped spot. Some woman lit into her when she saw her grabbing her skis from the car.
So what did B do Howie? I bet she gave it right back to her. LOL.

Kingslug20

Just jump into castle rock...if you make it out..youll be a great bump skier...as youll have had lots of practice..

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Lower Domino, Moonshine, and Semi Tough are the best practice bumps in my book. The upper section of Lower FIS is relatively steep but you can always cut in on South Bound and bypass that section.
Thanks for the tip on lwr FIS. we will be on semi tough and walts trail for sure!

WinS

New subject. Today (day 78) was the first day of the second half of the ski season at Sugarbush and what a gorgeous day it was. This assumes that the mountain stays open every day through Sunday, April 24th and then reopens the following weekend as in past years. Sugarbush is normally a second half player. Remember all the snow in March and April when COVID shut us down two years ago?

Shredmonkey254

New subject. Today (day 78) was the first day of the second half of the ski season at Sugarbush and what a gorgeous day it was. This assumes that the mountain stays open every day through Sunday, April 24th and then reopens the following weekend as in past years. Sugarbush is normally a second half player. Remember all the snow in March and April when COVID shut us down two years ago?
:cool:

MadPadraic

I agree that taking slidebrook from South is a serious Schelp. After 3 chairs, it’s about 35-40 minutes before I’m skiing,… by that time on a cold day - I’m chilled. It would have been great if there were Gondola cars on the line,… yeah I know - will never happen. What I do like about Slidebrook is coming back to South. It’s a quick ride and I can get to 4 pods from there.

Personally, I’m not a big bus person - especially with Covid. If I’m going to North, I’ll just drive as I think it’s much quicker than the bus.

Pivoting this super hard away from the original intent, but I do with that the MRV had better bus service. It would really help us support local restaurants and breweries.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Awesome day at mt ellen yesterday. the mountain got about 2-3 inches of snow Wednesday night and another 1-2 inches during the day Thursday. top half of the mountain was in the clouds, even the top half of Joes Cruiser, whichway, and all those trails that start there were socked in, but you could see well enough to ski, and the fact that it was basically deserted helped. Nice soft coating of powder on top of really good snow all day long, just perfect. we skied 20 runs and 32 miles and stayed all day. The bumps we did were all nice and soft for the most part.

highlight: watching my kids (10 and 12) just rip. By the time they are in high school I'm sure they will be able to ski anything anywhere.

Lowlight: hiking/crawling through the woods from which way to what ever they call the trail under the northridge lift and back again to retrieve a helmet earpad that somehow fell off my son's helmet while we were on the lift. I can report the snow in those trees is soft and 4 feet deep in spots. People have been skiing in there. The huge moguls on that trail kept me from skiing down to get it and it was late in the day, my legs were too tired to do it safely.

I had no idea if it could be replaced but since we knew where it was hiking to get it seemed like a good idea at the time....in hindsight I would not recommend. But I now know my new ski pants and waterproof hoodie can withstand just about anything.

Sorry, no pics, we were just having too much fun skiing non stop to take any other than a couple pics of the kids for my wife but trust me, conditions were great. Not sure what this warm/cold cycle will do but man it was awesome yesterday.

Last edited: